Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Herb, can't you just make your own setup?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #22

Debating House and Shore power in my rig. Any advice out there? Anyone have thoughts on streamline setups?

What I already have:

1. Parking pad at the front of my driveway which has a nice 15 amp outlet which I put in for my SMB. Worked great. We'd roll home, plug in and it would keep things topped off til next trip.

2. I've been told getting a power cable from the engine bay into the driver's seat area is pretty easy without drilling.

3. Holes are in the back bay floor with rubber plugs. Pull out super easy. Note to self down ever put the back bummer of a Sienna underwater; it'll flood.

4. Sienna already has a small 120V power inverter built in if I need i

Goal:

1. Keep the engine battery in good shape when not being driven.

2. Have 120 V power available inside when shore power is connected.

3. 12V house batteries with 30 amp hrs storage

4. Two 5V USB ports from House batteries

5. Keep cabin space loss from power setup to a minimum.

Not needed:

1. I don't ever see any need for more 120 V power unless hooked to shore power

2. Looked at ways to get a power cord from solar inside. Does not seem like a option I want to pursue.

3. I started looking at Blue Sea ACR for house battery install but got pretty unexcited about it all. Too much space and a bit deeper than I want to get and started to feel beyond my skill set.

Goals 3, 4, and 5 - I'm looking at getting a 400 W plug and play product like Goal Zero Yeti 400 but probably Li-ion.

Goal 1. I'm thinking of putting in port on the front bumper, put in a Y splitter, Split 1. Going to a trickle charger mounted an engine battery charger in the the engine bay.

Goal 2. Split 2. Would go to a 3 prong extension cable for "house battery" charging, and other charging and power when connected to shore power.

Questions:
1. With Goal 2 plan there are applications available which all have 3 prong connectors or I can custom wire. The 3 prong seems very convenient however do I need to ground the AC power coming in to the chassy?

2. Goal 3,4,5 - Is there a House battery setup I should consider? 100 amp hour AGM batteries have become pretty reasonable. Maybe just charge off a cigarette outlet when rig is running? I'm ok with a slow charging system and don't really need a jump start feature from my house battery.

Guess my budget is about $700.

Current idea
Bioenneo BPP-M400 $490
Shore Power port $20
Extension Cable $40
Trickle Charger Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA $25
(open to other permanent mount trickle chargers recommendations)

Thanks for any advise or suggestions from those who know more than I
Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #23

What do you plan on using the built-in inverter for? Most of them are very low amp output, for stuff like charging a laptop. A stand-alone inverter is cheap, and will be way more functional. But then again, a "package" product like Goal Zero may have its own inverter anyways.

As you plan out your system, keep in mind that watts=volts*amps, so it's better to run a longer 120v circuit in order to minimize the 12v wiring to your inverter.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #24

I have no plans to run an inverter for anything. I really don't know why people run them? Most things run on DC so I often feel people are running a DC to AC inverter so they can run an AC adapter which plugs in and converts back to DC. I mostly just view inverters as parasitic drains.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #25

For anyone who might be interested, I'm going to try to do 3 updates on my project in the next couple days:
1. trips, 2. completed work, 3. still thinking

TRIPS
Jackson, WY
Over the holidays we took a trip Jackson, WY to see family and ski. Prior to leaving I got snow tires put on. I went with 235/60R18 XL Blizzaks (that is a 29.1" tire upsize from our stock is 235/55R18 (28.2") so I've picked up about 0.5" of added ground clearance. The weather was pretty rough but man the rig ran like a champ. We went into Grand Tetons National Park and did a backcountry ski tour and also did a couple laps off Teton Pass using the Sienna as a shuttle car with 2 skiing and 1 driving.

Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT
I had to take my Element in for a brake job so on a "snow day" aka I skipped work to ski. I ran up to Alta Ski Resort. It was a big big big day with the road getting closed due to avalanches on the road. Rig ran great again just hugging the road.

Ok enough bragging about the epic ski season we've seen in Utah.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #26

COMPLETED WORK
As I mentioned I upsized the tire to gain 0.5" of ground clearance. I removed the 3rd row seats to make space for our bed platform. I also bought a spare tire donut; for some reason Toyota thinks I should use runflat tires and not carry a spare. I also got an inflator kit. These are strapped down to a 3rd row seat bracket in the rear. I constructed a bedframe built to accommodate the 2nd row seats if we want to have them in. The frame is about 48" wide and 58" long.

I then attached plywood (26.5x48, 11x48, 18.5x48) with some hinges and an extension foot piece (18"x42").

In total this is about a 77" x 48" bed space with space at the foot to accommodate a DC cooler.

The rear has a hatch to access below

The front foot extension can be folded back to make a bench

This is all secured to the rig to the seat attachments using cam straps. The cooler holder is still just a rough in and need a design to be removable while begin able to secure solid. I had to make on adjustment to my initial design moving the front passenger side support back and to the side to allow skis to slide under the bedframe. We can fit 2 pairs nicely under there and they slide in and out without too much fussing about.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress of the build so far. I hope someone finds this thread entertaining or interesting. Cheers!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #27

Oh I left out I installed a trailer hitch and wiring and a permanent float charger. This has somehow emboldened me that I should wire in an ACR.

PROJECTS

ELECTRICAL

I'm still trying to figure out my electrical plan. I've been peeking at this awesome post:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...g-18703-2.html

I'm moving away from an over priced prepackaged system back to an AGM battery charging with an ACR.

CAPACITY NEEDS FOR 2 DAYS
I'd like to add an auxiliary battery in the back to run a DC cooler for 2 days and charge 2 cell phones twice. I got a Dometic CDF-011 cooler. It is stated to run at 2.5 amps. I did some testing at home using a P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor and that came in at 0.67 kilowatts during an 85 hr test or about 8 watts/hr. Likely it will be higher usage in the heat of the day in the sun.

Cell phone: my phone is a 2.7 amp/hr at 3.7 V that is 10 watts.

Based on my numbers above 8 watts*24*2+10*4 = 424 watts or 35 amp/hr of usable capcity. Assuming 50% usage cabcity from an AGM battery then minimum need is 70 amp/hr. So 100 amp/hrs should help deal with the increased demands on the cooler of higher temps. 100 amp hour Deep Cycle AGM battery

CHARGING

Charging the debate is of course alternator or solar or both. My alternator is 150 amps which seem like it should be big enough. I'm thinking of using a 7610 Blue ACR to charge. I believe I can just wire the ACR to the positive side of the engine battery. I'd incorporate my battery charger like shown here:

This really seems fairly simple. I don't feel the need to be able to start the engine off my House Battery so 4 gauge wire should be big enough. I can mount the ACR and negative bus in the engine compartment, run positive and negative 4 gauge wires from the engine compartment to the house batteries, and mount the house battery and float charger in the rear.

This wire seems like a great deal and is stated to be 4 AWG
https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-G.../dp/B01LWV0J4S

Please let me know if you have thoughts on the ACR, battery, or wiring? Thanks!

Other projects in the works:

Structure to hold DC Cooler

Bedding foam/bouldering pad

1.5" Lift using tema 4x4 spacers
Old 07-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #28

I am starting work on a Sienna - do you have any final pictures of your van?
farrellcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #29

I am preparing to build out a 2011+ Sienna and a couplequestions...

Where have most people found the Sienna spare tire goes? Full size?

Is ground clearance adequate for most gravel roadtrailheads?

Is it best to strip the carpet out to reduce moisture?
Big curiosity here as I currently drive a suv in thesoutheast. Often times under the plastic bins containing gear in the cargo space I find puddles of water, presumably from condensation buildup, that can create an oddodor. If some carpet is replaced with a wood floor, are there otherunintended consequences like more noise or loss of insulation?

Thx
kcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrasclimber View Post
Oh I left out I installed a trailer hitch and wiring and a permanent float charger. This has somehow emboldened me that I should wire in an ACR.

PROJECTS

ELECTRICAL

I'm still trying to figure out my electrical plan. I've been peeking at this awesome post:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...g-18703-2.html

I'm moving away from an over priced prepackaged system back to an AGM battery charging with an ACR.

CAPACITY NEEDS FOR 2 DAYS
I'd like to add an auxiliary battery in the back to run a DC cooler for 2 days and charge 2 cell phones twice. I got a Dometic CDF-011 cooler. It is stated to run at 2.5 amps. I did some testing at home using a P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor and that came in at 0.67 kilowatts during an 85 hr test or about 8 watts/hr. Likely it will be higher usage in the heat of the day in the sun.

Cell phone: my phone is a 2.7 amp/hr at 3.7 V that is 10 watts.

Based on my numbers above 8 watts*24*2+10*4 = 424 watts or 35 amp/hr of usable capcity. Assuming 50% usage cabcity from an AGM battery then minimum need is 70 amp/hr. So 100 amp/hrs should help deal with the increased demands on the cooler of higher temps. 100 amp hour Deep Cycle AGM battery

CHARGING

Charging the debate is of course alternator or solar or both. My alternator is 150 amps which seem like it should be big enough. I'm thinking of using a 7610 Blue ACR to charge. I believe I can just wire the ACR to the positive side of the engine battery. I'd incorporate my battery charger like shown here:

This really seems fairly simple. I don't feel the need to be able to start the engine off my House Battery so 4 gauge wire should be big enough. I can mount the ACR and negative bus in the engine compartment, run positive and negative 4 gauge wires from the engine compartment to the house batteries, and mount the house battery and float charger in the rear.

This wire seems like a great deal and is stated to be 4 AWG
https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-G.../dp/B01LWV0J4S

Please let me know if you have thoughts on the ACR, battery, or wiring? Thanks!

Other projects in the works:

Structure to hold DC Cooler

Bedding foam/bouldering pad

1.5" Lift using tema 4x4 spacers

Whatever happened with the lift?

We’ve got a everyday driver Sienna but I’ve been thinking of getting another “beater” Sienna for hauling and longer distance, “light” camping trips where taking the Sportsmobile is overkill.

I would expect 16 mpg with it lifted, more aggressive tires and traveling at 80+ - that said, the SMB averages 15 on toad trips.