Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Question Locker, Shocks, Recovery Points

I am going on a Moab (and southwest) road trip in May. I've read many of the threads on all of the above and I am looking to make my 2wd E350 more capable without breaking the bank.

I'll be running some intermediate trails with my friend's lifted 4WD E350 (bemerritt) and I'd like to be able to keep up as much as possible. My 2wd and open diff is a huge issue at the moment.

I've got BFG KO2's and MaxTraxx but I plan to do the following:

- Limited slip or locker: any recommendation on a spec for a good limited slip is welcome.

- Bilstein B6 Comfort shocks.

- Fabricate some recovery hooks up front so that he can winch me through trouble.

Am I forgetting anything? Want to take care of the basics while it's in the shop.

Photos of my current set up attached
Attached Thumbnails
Corey's iPhone 6s 496.jpg   IMG_0580.jpg   IMG_0364.jpg  

KongBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #2

I would skip the Bilsteins and go with a set of Foxs from Agile. The cost difference is minimal but the benefits are huge, such as better dampening, longer life, and rebuild ability. As far as Moab, depending on the trails you choose, under body clearance may be more of a limiting factor than traction aids. Obviously, a selectable locker would offer the most traction when needed, but a limited slip works automatically and may cost less.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongBus View Post
I am going on a Moab (and southwest) road trip in May. I've read many of the threads on all of the above and I am looking to make my 2wd E350 more capable without breaking the bank.

I'll be running some intermediate trails with my friend's lifted 4WD E350 (bemerritt) and I'd like to be able to keep up as much as possible. My 2wd and open diff is a huge issue at the moment.

I've got BFG KO2's and MaxTraxx but I plan to do the following:

- Limited slip or locker: any recommendation on a spec for a good limited slip is welcome.

- Bilstein B6 Comfort shocks.

- Fabricate some recovery hooks up front so that he can winch me through trouble.

Am I forgetting anything? Want to take care of the basics while it's in the shop.

Photos of my current set up attached

Pics of your rear end tag on the pumpkin would help determine what rear end you have and what locker selection is available.

I run a modified Dana 60 35 spline Spartan Locker in my semi-float rear and it works well. It's been in the van for a year and a half and my fluid change last week at 12k miles showed no appreciable wear or damage (big deal for a lunchbox style locker). The added traction a true locker provides goes a very long way on a 2wd van.

If you don't plan to change your front bumper, install a front hitch. They work as a great recovery point and add versatility to the rig. The majority are good for 9000lbs draw weight and about 500lbs tongue weight. If you go that route, you can use a winch on a cradle as well for those times you venture out without friends.

I will weigh in on the shocks....I have failed both the Fox 2.0 and Bilsteins. I am currently working out mounts for a set of 2.5x8 Sway-A-Way shocks that will allow for valving adjustments not offered with others available.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

You'll just need to take the obstacles at a much higher speed. Strap everything down well!

On a serious note, I'd agree with Jeff, ground clearance will be a bigger issue than traction in most situations! But you'll be able to do ok with some careful driving and liberal scraping.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

I am not familiar with the trails you are proposing, but if you are doing a lot of slow speed off-roading I would also look into more tranny cooling. Especially without a low range.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Site Team

You've got a good start, and the tow hooks up front are critical. Make sure they're either mounted directly to the frame, or to a stout bumper that is designed for them.

You mentioned you friend having a winch, but more often that not, a tow strap is far easier to use, provided the other vehicle has the appropriate mounting point at the rear. Make sure to get an appropriately rated tow strap.

Herb
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #7

Success!

Before the trip I installed...

Spicer 707427X Trac-Lok Limited Slip Differential
Bilstein 5100 series shocks
CURT 33055 Front Mount Hitch with shackle as a recovery point. We installed on the trail because it arrived the day we departed. I highly recommend taking the bumper off to install.

Couldn't believe the traction I was getting out of the limited slip with KO2's aired down (to approx 25 psi). Just point the van and let the steady throttle and diesel grunt it out. Used the Maxtraxx once when I stopped in beach sand but didn't need a pull at all.

Some pics of the trip...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1020.jpg   IMG_1072.jpg   IMG_1112.jpg   IMG_1114.jpg   IMG_1373.jpg  

KongBus is offline   Reply With Quote