Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Longer Seat Travel?

Hello everyone.

I have a 07 E350 passenger van with captain chairs in the front. There is not enough legroom on the passenger side for my wife. She needs about another 3 inches. Does anybody know if there are "extended size" tracks available? I looked at Discount Van and saw 11" tracks w/7" travel but I don't know if thats OEM size or not. Any other sources or solutions would really be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pops

Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Re: Longer Seat Travel?

Leg room is tight for sure. Seat position in relation to the seatbelts and air bags is my concern. The further you move the seat back beyond stock the more you are outside of the safety margin designed by Ford for the belts and air bags. Something to consider IMO.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
Leg room is tight for sure. Seat position in relation to the seatbelts and air bags is my concern. The further you move the seat back beyond stock the more you are outside of the safety margin designed by Ford for the belts and air bags. Something to consider IMO.
Thanks ridintall.

That is a valid point but due to physical issues if my wife can't be comfortable we aren't going anywhere. I am a slowpoke, keep aneye out for others and nothing is 100% certain.

Thans again for your input,

Pops
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Don't forget airbags are designed primarily for people not wear seatbelts! As long as the seatbelt is used, the airbag is much less important, and if you are far enough away from the dash, it isn't at all even needed. I wouldn't worry too much about the seatbelt since the lap portion is attached to the seat, and it has a pre-tensioner to take up the slack in a crash.

On the seat note.... at least some of the cushions have 2 mounting options, close and far. Its only about 1.5" difference, but maybe that would help?

I'm also wondering if maybe the passenger and cargo vans got different bases? The pass seat in my van goes so far back it almost touches the next row. I can just about stretch my legs straight.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Don't forget airbags are designed primarily for people not wear seatbelts! As long as the seatbelt is used, the airbag is much less important, and if you are far enough away from the dash, it isn't at all even needed. I wouldn't worry too much about the seatbelt since the lap portion is attached to the seat, and it has a pre-tensioner to take up the slack in a crash.

On the seat note.... at least some of the cushions have 2 mounting options, close and far. Its only about 1.5" difference, but maybe that would help?

I'm also wondering if maybe the passenger and cargo vans got different bases? The pass seat in my van goes so far back it almost touches the next row. I can just about stretch my legs straight.
Hi carringb. I don't think 1.5" is going to be quite enough but I'll re-measure the troublesome party and make sure. Maybe your's being an extended version makes a difference and perhaps I can find "your" seat setup in a junkyard and use that. Thanks for your help, Pops.

P.S. On a unrelated note - I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to reply without quotes. I looked through the FAQ, perhaps I overlooked it. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #6

Below the post is a button marked Reply click on it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #7

Thanks Mike. On my screen I had to scroll down a bit. Pops.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
can't figure out how to reply without quotes
You can also hit Quote, but then delete (or edit as you see fit) the quoted text that shows up in the text box.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #9

Thanks Brent. Thought about that but didn't know if it would cause an issue. This is only the second forum I've joined so I'm a bit green. Pops.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #10

I doubt this will help much but perhaps it will if you get to measuring things. I have an 02 van with the same dash, seats, etc. as your 07 (I think). I just recently bought a 95 with a slightly older dash and doghouse style and it has MUCH more legroom in the front passenger area than the newer van. It's huge over there. It makes me jealous because the driver's side doesn't seem to have more room.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote