Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #11

Re: Looking for a quality van interior builder

Jeff, I have talked with RVI in San Diego, GTRV outside of San Fransico, SMB, and Van Specialties about an interior build out similar to an RB50. Prices ranged from 20k to 30k+, with up to 6 month wait times. I ended up going with Van Specialties and have an appointment to drop it off the first of August.

I am going to get out of there under 25k which includes a complete solar package, fridge, water set-up, Aluminess rear bumper set up (tire rack/bumper/deluxe box), gaucho, and complete set of cabinets, door galley, and quite a bit more. By the way, it does not include any type of top, I already have a SMB pop top.

Rob at VS has been very good to work with. The only downside is the wait time and the fact I have to travel 1300 miles to have it done, but we are making a camping road trip out of it. Hope this helps.

Happy Travels

GBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBreezy
Jeff, I have talked with RVI in San Diego, GTRV outside of San Fransico, SMB, and Van Specialties about an interior build out similar to an RB50. Prices ranged from 20k to 30k+, with up to 6 month wait times. I ended up going with Van Specialties and have an appointment to drop it off the first of August.

I am going to get out of there under 25k which includes a complete solar package, fridge, water set-up, Aluminess rear bumper set up (tire rack/bumper/deluxe box), gaucho, and complete set of cabinets, door galley, and quite a bit more. By the way, it does not include any type of top, I already have a SMB pop top.

Rob at VS has been very good to work with. The only downside is the wait time and the fact I have to travel 1300 miles to have it done, but we are making a camping road trip out of it. Hope this helps.

Happy Travels
"Thanks for the heads up. I have sent a quote request from Van Specialties, I'll let you know the pricing and timing. My van already has the pop top, 4x4 conversion and every exterior option SMB offers, so only going for the interior build."
jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #13

I had my interior done by Van Specialties. Make sure to draw a plan of everything you want, exactly the way you want it. Don't let them I interpret any scope of work. I wasn't happy with some of the design liberties taken by them... I saved in comparison to SMB Fresno paying no sales tax in Oregon. I think Van Specialties uses higher quality materials throughout but SMB has more knowledge of options in my opinion. Rob at VS was great to work with. Both are great companies - had my power pop up done at SMB.
94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #14

Thanks to all for your input. I'm going with Van Specialties, as there materials/fit and finish seem to be a better bargain than paying $10k more at SMB. SMB did the 4x4, pop top, Aluminess bumpers/winches/box/tire rack, Hella lights front and back, and a passenger interior build. I'm very happy with what SMB completed prior to my purchase of the van. Talking with Rob in detail, I will also follow up with drawings and photos of similar work to ensure our satisfaction with the interior build. My deposit is in and I'm also on the waiting list, sometime in late August. I just returned from a Mendocino Abalone diving trip and the van worked well as a camping platform using the pop top sleeper and an air mattress. We are really looking forward to having the build complete, it will be so much easier to camp rather than having to set up a camp after a 6 hour drive.

BTW, I have the two Sprinter bench seats that I will be posting in the classifieds next week from the previous passenger build. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Jeff, Jules and Ella
jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #15

Bumpnto an old thread

It is now Jan 2018

What are people thinking now in terms of various companies build qualities?

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Here’s a relative newcomer to the mix, Adventure Vehicle Concepts. http://www.avcrig.com
This is Matt’s new company in Loveland, CO. As some of you may remember, Matt used to be at CCV and has branched off to open up his own place. I’m planning on checking out his shop in the next few weeks and have been toying with the idea and have talked with him about refreshing at least some of my interior cabinets and storage spaces. It looks like they are turning out some nice work.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #17

Mike Kovchian of Extreme Fab in North Hollywood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #18
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Here’s a relative newcomer to the mix, Adventure Vehicle Concepts. Adventure Vehicle Concepts | Let us bring out the adventure in your vehicle
This is Matt’s new company in Loveland, CO. As some of you may remember, Matt used to be at CCV and has branched off to open up his own place. I’m planning on checking out his shop in the next few weeks and have been toying with the idea and have talked with him about refreshing at least some of my interior cabinets and storage spaces. It looks like they are turning out some nice work.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
His shop is about 1 mile from my home in Loveland. His work is awesome if you wanna follow him on instagram his handle is avcrig, His work is stellar. Let him put the Ad "van" ture in your van. It's all done CNC so it on point.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
Mike Kovchian of Extreme Fab in North Hollywood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 he's a good guy
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #20

Try Exclusive Outfitters - located in Placentia, Ca ( by Anaheim), built our rig out complete with pop top. Picked up Dec. 2016 absolutely no problems

Call John 949-212-2792 great guy to deal with , his crew is over the top in stoke and skill
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote