Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
..that being said I just ordered the HD version for my van, which weighs 9300 lbs...about 4200 front and 5100 rear....so we'll see.

boywonder, would you mind indicating which shock part numbers you went with? Hopefully you'll also give us a review post install!

shockwarehouse lists numerous options and I'm curious if you picked one of their recommendations.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/...ion-shocks.cfm

1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatvan View Post
boywonder, would you mind indicating which shock part numbers you went with? Hopefully you'll also give us a review post install!

shockwarehouse lists numerous options and I'm curious if you picked one of their recommendations.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/...ion-shocks.cfm

Since I have a kingpin/leaf spring dana 60 front....the fronts are not gonna be the stock van P/N......as it turns out the rear P/N will also work on the front for me.

so the Bilstein HD rear P/N is 33-176857......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Bilsteins are offered two ways....

"comfort" which is for Ford Vans..either RB or EB

"Heavy Duty" which are valved for class C Ford based motorhomes..with really long rear overhang....valved stiffer.

Several folks here have bought the HD version and found them to be too harsh on a regular van...a few others have been OK with them.

..that being said I just ordered the HD version for my van, which weighs 9300 lbs...about 4200 front and 5100 rear....so we'll see.

Late to the thread here but thinking about upgrading the shocks in my van as well. Just put on the Cooper Discoverer (non AT) Tires ...working on dialing in the pressure but the shocks haven't been replaced in awhile and hoping this (new shocks) will improve the overall handling.

2001, E-350, EB, PH, basic interior ,7.3L Diesel
2WD

Front: 4,050 GAWR
Rear: 6,084 GAWR

HD series? Mainly highway, we hit some two track but not much and take em slow.

Money is definitely a factor- adding a heater, foot pump sink and rhino lining the penthouse (when the weather warms) so leaning towards Bilstein Heavy Duty (B6)

Any thoughts? Thinking a steering stabilizer would help as well! Thanks!
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Are you sure?.....how are you that heavy both front and rear? Is that loaded, cause that’s pretty much maxed out for GVWR, and with a 2WD! Full float at least?
Anyway, read through the thread, I think that the comfort shocks are the ones you’ll want, even with the added weight. The HD’s are super stiff, made for larger class C motorhomes.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #15
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
John at Quadvan put two Bilsteins (4) on the front end (I think you can even make out the part #'s lol), and as he called them "motor home" Bilsteins on the rear...I also have bags on the rear and find it all to be awesome/comfortable on and off road...just celebrated our 6th year with Sporty!
Attached Thumbnails
AD9DB639-10A9-492B-A001-72E8C45CB8B1.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Are you sure?.....how are you that heavy both front and rear? Is that loaded, cause that’s pretty much maxed out for GVWR, and with a 2WD! Full float at least?
Anyway, read through the thread, I think that the comfort shocks are the ones you’ll want, even with the added weight. The HD’s are super stiff, made for larger class C motorhomes.

Definitely seemed heavy! 7.3L Diesel add to the weight? It's not even a full build out (no sink, no stove, bench seat and a couple cabinets (behind driver seat and one in side door) This is what Sportsmobile listed on the door stamp (VIN, dates, etc) I need to get over to the local scrap yard and check the weights, not sure if they are open at the moment though.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #17

I put 4 of the RV model on my 02 EB 7.3. It is definitely a firm ride but I prefer that over squishy.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #18

4x4 or 2WD?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #19

I have the RV model in the front and although they are stiff, I like them....for one thing tires rub wheel wells much less when turning and hitting a bump.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'll contribute this, could be helpful......

I'm running a 2005 E350 extended body, former wheel chair lift equipped people hauler, 2WD with for now a semi-floater rear, 3:73 rear gears. This does have the fixed raised fiberglass roof, weight is:

Front: 3,380 lbs
Rear: 5,080 lbs
GVW: 8,460 lbs

This is fully loaded, I never tow anything and weight will never be too much more for any extended periods. I did have an extra leaf added to the stock rear springs and soon I'll have a full floating rear axle under this van.

I did use the Hellwig front & rear sway bars meant for what they call a "short wheelbase motorhome" Very large diameter, at least 25% bigger than the usual Hellwig parts called for on standard 2WD E250/350.

Bilstein shocks with the same rating, "short wheel base motorhome". With my current weight bias that combo is just about perfect---I'm almost scared to think what I'd experience with using anything "lighter" duty.

IMHO this nonsense about "comfort" vs "heavy duty" is foolish as almost certainly you'd NOT notice any ride improvement with the "comfort" rated shocks. Additionally who buys and E-Series and outfits it to the gills and expects or hopes for a sofa-on-wheels experience?

In anyone is interested in part numbers I've used I'm glad to share them--if not carry on as before!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks