Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

I have been rethinking the sliding table mounting point
"semi circular hooks that will rest on the bar for support"

A simpler idea would be to create a notch / groove /channel on the underside of the table top in which the horizontal bar would reside .
A tight fit of the horizontal bar in the channel is preferred and finally the bar will be retained in the channel by a strip of VELCRO running the length of the channel.

This would allow the table to remain on the horizontal bar mount during transit and should prove to be rattle free and yet fully detachable by removing the VELCRO strip.

Thanks for likes ... Otter , Annie O , 86Scotty
Attached Thumbnails
TABLE TOP HINGE.jpg  

Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
I have been rethinking the sliding table mounting point
"semi circular hooks that will rest on the bar for support"

A simpler idea would be to create a notch / groove /channel on the underside of the table top in which the horizontal bar would reside .
A tight fit of the horizontal bar in the channel is preferred and finally the bar will be retained in the channel by a strip of VELCRO running the length of the channel.

This would allow the table to remain on the horizontal bar mount during transit and should prove to be rattle free and yet fully detachable by removing the VELCRO strip.

Thanks for likes ... Otter , Annie O , 86Scotty
Oh, yeah, I like that idea. That would also potentially leave more room on the underside for a more substantial folding leg or two. Let's keep this one going...

Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuppvan View Post
check out video 0.56 - 1.06
example - cantilever table
i really like the custom interior in the video.

Dear Santa: Would you please make sure this van is in my driveway Christmas morning? WOW!.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #14

Garage
While looking for table ideas, I found this site. The table is nothing wild, but the great use of space in a Sienna minivan is pretty creative. Scroll through the photos. Some simple ideas here for a homemade bed/couch.

Any more table ideas out there?

The Grove Guy: MINIVAN CONVERSION

Old 10-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

Garage
JackTV, it looks like your concept is very popular in the U.K. and Europe in their VW and various Eurovan conversions. The whole rail idea looks genius and may be just what I need in a transformer van. You can mount these rails in various places (including the door, to use it outside). Then you can mount the table connections on both edges to utilize it lengthwise or widthwise. I'm thinking this could be a great add stored/mounted against the drivers side wall lengthwise (to minimize height and be as flat as possible). Then lift it off the wall and mount it either way to maximize length or width, whichever you prefer. I especially like that it can move forward or back to accommodate any seating position.

You can buy this stuff all over the U.K., but here's the supplier I found in the US if you don't want to make your own parts:

Reimo Adjustable Sliding Table Rail Kit

Some pics:

Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Annie O: Thanks, I really like the passenger van interior. It always looks nice, even between modifications. Taking out all those bench seats was the first best thing. I wanted that open space for working as well as carrying stuff, which I seem to do all the time. Coming from a pickup with a tonneau cover, I got used to carrying stuff. Now the van holds even more

It strikes me you could possibly use one of these great ideas and modify it into a "table" that would actually be your "thin file" for watercolor supplies. Once you have the swivel seats, as I do, you're not going to want to restrict that area much behind the seat. That's why I thought the wall would be the perfect place to attach a table.
I got my passenger swivel seat base from Ray today so excited to get that mounted. Won't have swivel on driver seat due to electric controls. Second row captain chairs are currently a 'nice to have' for later. I have enough sunk cost for the time being.

Haha I went from accord coupe camping to van camping so I am also unloading everything out of habit. But once I get my design completed (does that ever happen?) that won't be as necessary. I do like your input about the thin file/table combo- thanks!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
JackTV, it looks like your concept is very popular in the U.K. and Europe in their VW and various Eurovan conversions..
Wow , That's pretty cool .

After looking at the pictures of the plastic slides , I remembered seeing plastic PVC conduit clips and Snap in Clips for PEX Tubing at the hardware store that could be used as slides.
The clips come 3/8 and 1/2 inch and cost about 20 cents each.

Thanks for sharing the info on the Euro slide tables.
Attached Thumbnails
PEX-clips-1.jpg