Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Garage
Looking for Table Ideas

So, I've read all 23 threads on tables and searched a bit through YouTube and haven't yet seen what I need. I don't mind inventing a wheel, but I sure hate reinventing one. So I'd like to hear anyone's ideas/ones you've seen/ones you've had about a table for my transformer-type van. Here's what I'm looking for:

I want to hang as long a table as aesthetically possible (with more expandable length via a hinge?) on the drivers side wall just behind the drivers seat, with the ability to swing the seat around and use my laptop on the table. So, I'm envisioning a maybe two-part table, piano-hinged at the extension and at the wall attachment point, with a folded leg or two at the outside.

Since my van is multi-purpose, I'll be doing my photography laptop work on the table, but want it big enough to share with either/both: the passenger next to me and/or the passenger in the Sienna opposite me. Thinking lunches, card games, prep table, etc.

I'll appreciate any thoughts , ideas, or leads/links you can offer. Here's the space we're talking about (the Siennas will eventually be going on tracks):

Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

I suggest a horizontal bar similar to a small diameter towel bar mounted to the wall and the table top with semi circular hooks that will rest on the bar for support.
The table would be detachable and have the ability to slide on the bar fore and aft .
similar to the example shown.
Attached Thumbnails
SLIDE TABLE.jpg   slide table 2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

WOW that's a gorgeous interior! I love the open work space which is why I don't want cabinets.
I'm contemplating the same and have an idea of a thin horizontal drawing file against the back of the front seats that will flip up- but I have a swivel seat base coming so need to rethink my concept.

When I graduate to van watercolour studio I need a secure place (ie the thin file) to store the watercolour paper and then paintings, you don't want those bumping or sliding around.

Been thinking about the flip up keyboard table mechanisms but not sure where to mount that yet. For now I have an expanding camp table I set my nice drawing board on which is heavy enough to anchor it when In use, then the base folds up and stores under seat. Drawing board slides vertically behind my cooler.

So your driver seat does not swivel? * oh! I see it does. JackTuppVan that sounds useable, what prevents the table top from lifting if you bump it,some clamp mechanism?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Check out this video:

https://youtu.be/UAjLjp9hG_E

Be sure to catch both (2) segments. The second one shows how it disassembles.

And I purchased mine here:

Lagun Adjustable Swivelling Cockpit Table Mounting System

It arrived faster than many domestic purchases...

Steve W
Southern California
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
I suggest a horizontal bar similar to a small diameter towel bar mounted to the wall and the table top with semi circular hooks that will rest on the bar for support.
The table would be detachable and have the ability to slide on the bar fore and aft .
similar to the example shown.

JackTV, wow, thanks for the idea and drawing. I really like the idea of being able to slide the table to where you want it. Simple but elegant. I'm going to tuck that one away and play with some variations. Let me know if you have more creativity bursts. It's much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
WOW that's a gorgeous interior! I love the open work space which is why I don't want cabinets.
I'm contemplating the same and have an idea of a thin horizontal drawing file against the back of the front seats that will flip up- but I have a swivel seat base coming so need to rethink my concept.

When I graduate to van watercolour studio I need a secure place (ie the thin file) to store the watercolour paper and then paintings, you don't want those bumping or sliding around.

Been thinking about the flip up keyboard table mechanisms but not sure where to mount that yet. For now I have an expanding camp table I set my nice drawing board on which is heavy enough to anchor it when In use, then the base folds up and stores under seat. Drawing board slides vertically behind my cooler.

So your driver seat does not swivel? * oh! I see it does. JackTuppVan that sounds useable, what prevents the table top from lifting if you bump it,some clamp mechanism?
Annie O: Thanks, I really like the passenger van interior. It always looks nice, even between modifications. Taking out all those bench seats was the first best thing. I wanted that open space for working as well as carrying stuff, which I seem to do all the time. Coming from a pickup with a tonneau cover, I got used to carrying stuff. Now the van holds even more

It strikes me you could possibly use one of these great ideas and modify it into a "table" that would actually be your "thin file" for watercolor supplies. Once you have the swivel seats, as I do, you're not going to want to restrict that area much behind the seat. That's why I thought the wall would be the perfect place to attach a table.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Check out this video:

https://youtu.be/UAjLjp9hG_E

Be sure to catch both (2) segments. The second one shows how it disassembles.

And I purchased mine here:

Lagun Adjustable Swivelling Cockpit Table Mounting System

It arrived faster than many domestic purchases...

Steve W
Southern California
Hey Steve, thanks so much for this link. What a fantastic table system! I'm a sailor, so you'd think I'd have come across this before, but this is new to me.

I'm thinking this could totally work because of the ability to swing it into so many different positions. Even when the Siennas are pushed far up, you could conceivably just turn the table lengthwise to save room, or remove it altogether and store it somewhere.

Can you share a photo or two showing how you installed it?

I'm also wondering how you attached it to the body frame (if you did) and, if so, where?

How about the table itself? Did you purchase it from a marine supply shop, make your own, or what? I really liked the hinged marine table the guy in the video had. I remember something like that on a sailboat I had back in the day. They do a lot of great stuff in sailboats to maximize the little room you have.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

check out video 0.56 - 1.06
example - cantilever table
I really like the custom interior in the video.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #9

Garage
Wow--I really like the Lagun system. Very handy table setup.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #10

Lots of great ideas there. Jack, I really like the sliding one you diagrammed too.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote