Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #21

Re: Meet Frosty

I'm almost 100% sure its a D60. The 10.25 looks to have a 12 bolt pattern. Since nothing happens without picture this is where we are at.

Dealt with a lot of snow and freezing temps:
I don't believe in shoveling driveways

But we go a lot play time in for climbing and skiing:

My work in progress all winter was to get power into the van. Wasn't really sure how to do it but this was my solution:
I went with the marinco 30amp twist lock outlet

Cutting a hole in the side of the van was a pretty sphincter tightening experience (only took 2 hours to commit to drilling the pilot hole...)

Which runs to a 30amp breaker box

The outlet gives us one 110v option and powers the converter.

The starter bateries are connected to a 155ah AGM via a T-maxx battery isolator (thought about just buying an isolator but liked the extra security of being able to link the batteries with the touch of a button if I kill the starters, not a 100% sure its worth the extra $$ but the voltage meter is nice).

The house batter then connects to the 12v fuse box and the inverter through a blue sea battery selector switch via 100 and 200amp breakers.

Here it is with the closet bottom in place.

I still have to work on protecting the power contacts.

I still have to paint the back of the switch panel black. I'm not sure what I thought I was going to do with 8 switches, so far ~5 are going to be used. I messed up a couple spots on the plywood so will probably fix and downsize the panel later.

We got our fridge the other day so its wired in and awaiting its slider so I can start building the frame for the sink.

And of course my trusty assistants...

Thats all for now. We got a few of the LED house lights wired up, they are really bright and we will not need as many as we were planning for. I have to pull the trigger on a locker and but mountain bike season is here so she will start seeing more miles again (starting next week when we head for NC).

Jeff

waterman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Work is progressing nicely especially given the distractions of bad winters and so many other fun activities to pursue too.

If you're not already ahead of me the hole for the Marinco Twist-Lock plug needs to have its resulting bare edges treated against rust. If left untreated rust quickly forms at those edges eventually "eating" its way outward.

Nice assistants---hope they're paid well?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #23

Yeah. I put two layers of primer on the bare metal, hopefully that will be enough. We are going to have her repainted soon so I'll have to take it back out then. I do worry about the screw holes I put in to the floor of the van, there is no way to re-cover or protect a lot of them. I used white primer on the screws but I'm watching them closely.

Jeff
waterman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

For my money holes through the body or floor would be best treated with POR-15 or similar product after drilling, left to dry thoroughly before installing the fasteners or devices.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #25

Awesome build thread! Maybe I missed it but why will you be leaving your rig at trailheads for week's at a time? Are you doing the Tour Divide or something?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #26

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman86
Which runs to a 30amp breaker box
You will want some sort of bushing in that hole coming out of that breaker box. It won't take much vibration for the metal edge to cut through the insulation on those conductors.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote