Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #21

That looks AMAZING!!! AWSOME WORK!!!

You spent way way more time than I would have masking it perfectly!!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #22

Thanks! It would have been a much easier, one-day project with just one color. But I really liked the colors that were there.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #23

We are heading out to Quebec next week, so I am trying to get some things taken care of before I go. I have a good mechanic in Ohio, but he tends to hold my van hostage until he gets around to fixing it. Really annoying when I have so much to do to it as well. I had to pry it out of hands, unfinished, to get tires and insulation done.

I’ve gotten most of the insulation up. I went with the 3M Thinsulate SM400L. I wasn’t certain about the size (compared to the SM600L) but I am glad I got the thinner of the two. I have a layer of reflectix to do, but that might have to wait until after the trip. I really only need that for CA heat anyway.

Admittedly, I am terrible at this sort of thing. Wallpapering, wrapping presents, anything involving floppy stuff is beyond my skill set. Fortunately it means I don’t have high expectations on the outcome. Any gaps I have just make for a nice radiant barrier air gap.

The tires definitely help the ride. The van maneuvers much more steadily now. The insulation plus the Fatmat I already put in the doors are doing wonders for noise control. It’s finally starting to feel less like a hobomobile.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2552.jpg   IMG_2553.jpg   IMG_2560.jpg  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #24

After installing the acoustic insulation, I put up a layer of reflectix. I first glued small bits of 1x2 in key places so I could fasten it with screws instead of just spray adhesive. (The acoustic insulation pulls apart with weight.) The curvature of the roof prevents adding ribs, but small pieces worked well.

I needed to move back to Fresno and was crunched for time, so I just used the screws without any adhesive. I've since decided to leave it like that for a while until I start remodeling the lower part of the van. This way I can easily add more blocks if I need to mount anything on the ceiling.

I have some issues up front to deal with first. The AC makes a horrible screeching sound. I'll change the blower motor, but I am not convinced that is the problem. I also need to fix the 12v up front and I want to remake the wooden center console.

The van did well in the return trip. The baby did too. It was a long trip because I could only get about 5 driving hours in a day. The baby was up front with me because I have no forward-facing seats in back. I don't know how I could have done the trip with him in back. The screeching AC was the worst of it.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-08-06 10.38.11.jpg   2018-08-06 19.51.07.jpg   2018-08-06 19.51.13.jpg  
Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
Orv

Garage
I think you're on the right track with the blower motor. I had the bearings go out on the HVAC blower in a Volvo 240 once, and it made the loudest, most awful banshee wail you can imagine. It sounded like the whole engine was seizing up, but it was just this little coffee can sized motor.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #26

I though that for sure, but when I switch over to heat it often goes away immediately. It's an old van and doesn't have a separate control for air direction. AC automatically goes to dash vents, heat goes to floor or defrost. It made me wonder if the air flow might not be triggering the sound somehow. I'll be replacing the blower regardless, so I'll know then.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #27
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Replacing the blower motor sounds appropriate but does that screeching sound change with fan speed?

Given that your chassis is an '87 and assuming its the original motor my best guess is that's your problem. IIRC those aren't that tough to replace, full access to it all from under the hood.

While you're at that task carefully check the blower resistor network and its pigtail lead---good time to replace those if they too are original.

Were this my van I'd use an OEM motor but NAPA or other good quality resistor and pigtail plug.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
GAR

Something else to consider...

If the van has been sitting for a while, its easy to forget about the age of the tires. After five years or so, tires are no longer safe to drive in my opinion. You can check the DOT date on the tires to see how old they are. -I always do this when I buy new tires to make sure they are no older than six months. Yes, even sitting on the tire store shelf for a number of years can degrade the integrity of the tire.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #29

Thanks JWA. It does get louder the higher the fan speed.

Good idea about OEM. I am getting the water pump changed at a shop and might have them do the blower as well. It is an easy job but my baby has been non-stop sick since putting him in daycare in August, and I am finding it hard to get time to do even the most basic things.

Thanks for the tip Gar. I did get new tires in July. The last ones had some pretty scary dry rot on them.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #30
Orv

Garage
Assuming this is the factory A/C system (I don't know if there were aftermarket ones for this year), the MAX position opens an air recirculation intake in the passenger footwell area. You may be hearing the noise more in A/C mode because of that -- the blower noise is much more apparent with that intake flap open.

BTW, in case it isn't obvious, you can have heat in any position, not just the ones marked HEAT. If you want it from the dash vents instead of the floor/defrost, select VENT and then move the temperature slider to the right. You can also run the A/C and heat together to dehumidify the air. I believe the A/C compressor engages automatically in DEF to help clear mist from the windshield.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote