Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

Re: My 06 E350 EB Cargo build up

How do you like the Lizard Skin? Did it make a big difference? How was easy was the application? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the product...

frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
my van is a diesel eb and thats what was recommended to me. im very happy with the ride of my van since doing ramseys upgrades (shocks and front springs). theres still room for improvement handling wise, but ride wise imho, only improvement would be more travel.
AH well that is good to know, do you have pictures of it by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
How do you like the Lizard Skin? Did it make a big difference? How was easy was the application? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the product...
i was actually rather impressed with it, i used 4 gallons of sound deadening and 4 gallons of ceramic insulation, 2 coats of each. biggest difference i noticed was it no longer sounded like a tin can since it was usually empty, and it helped keep the inside temps constant, and lessened heat from the engine.

lizard skin SC/CI topped with the bedrug, and foam sheet insulation on the roof makes the inside of the van very quite, and i am running a straight through 4" exhaust.

one "oops" moment i had was after i sprayed it, i didnt allow enough air flow while it cured so it built up condensation inside and water drops fell into the recently applied lizard skin and affected the way it cured a bit in spots. The Lizard skin rep who i spoke with said its no big deal, just get a shop fan to blow into the van and get air flow circulating and it will cure how it is suppoed to.
eric3187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187
AH well that is good to know, do you have pictures of it by chance?
do i have pix? now thats a silly question, lol.

my build thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10176&hilit=poorboy

good info on lizard skin, ty im still undecided on how i want to insulate at this point.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #14

well this morning with temps barely in the double digits, almost killed my batteries. start up voltage was 10.7v, Ficm voltage was 43v at Key On Engine Off. once it fired up and worked itself into its high idle/cold start idle, voltage went back up to 14v and ficm was at 48v.

I went ahead and ordered a Global Zero 10W battery maintainer with integrated charge controller, im not hoping for a miracle since it is only 10w, but the simplicity of plugging into the cig. lighter socket was appealing, and i am hoping that it can at least keep the fully charged batteries from dipping so low again.

Tomorrow i am going to get 265/75/16 Cooper ATP tires installed, i've ran these tires on my tacoma, and my brother now has them on his 4runner and i absolutely love them. Should give me all the traction i need going between Denver and Alma this winter.

I also picked up some window vent shades? off craigslist so i can have the windows cracked for air flow without rain or snow coming in the van.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

Low voltage like that is hard on the FICM and injectors. Maybe one of your starting batteries is bad and the other is making up for it and your alternator is working overtime. Just a thought.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Low voltage like that is hard on the FICM and injectors. Maybe one of your starting batteries is bad and the other is making up for it and your alternator is working overtime. Just a thought.
that was a thought as well, already planning for new batteries but that has to wait until next month. likely going to go with DieHard Platinum batteries. Alternator is a brand new DC Power 185amp unit, i rarely see voltage lower than 13.2v normally, average is 13.7v
Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #17

got my Cooper ATP 265/75/16 tires installed today. 100% stock suspension, clears just fine, only rubbing at full lock in reverse, and at that, its not much rubbing.

going from dunlop HT tires which were probably 4/32" to a more agressive tread with good siping is a heck of a change.

Now i must wait for a sale at sears to get some diehard platinum batteries to install.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #18

bad shot, its -5* but here is how the 265"s fit on the van.

Ive been looking at the ESPAR Diesel heater and Coolant Heater recently, since i do not have the option to plug in my van when its cold, a coolant heater on a 7day timer would be ideal, barely sips any diesel and will have the coolant warmed up to acceptable temps in short order. sadly the price tag attatched to those items are more than i am able to spend, so it will probably be a job for the summer when i build the interior
Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #19

the cold has been slowly killing my batteries, and as luck would have it, it has caused my FICM voltage to drop below an acceptable range. I plan to change over to AGM batteries, shooting for at least 850 CCA and 150mins of reserve capacity.

As far as the FICM, im contemplating a bulletproof diesel 6phase 48/53/58v power side and billet case. from what ive read, with the ficm tune that is on there, just the upgraded power side to better components, and higher voltage gives a bit quicker throttle response, runs quiter and possibly a bump in fuel mileage.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #20

Nice work. Any updates you can share?

Inquiring minds want to know ...
InigoMontoya is offline   Reply With Quote