Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #11

Re: My 1999 Quigley Express

I don't have any pictures of the interior as a whole in its most recent state, but I am very happy with is so far. All of the oem speakers were upgraded while the van was apart as well as adding dynomat, and other sound absorbing foam to the insides on all the the doors.

One of the last things that I added to the inside was this shelf that sits between the two front seats. It allows you to set things on the floor but not block the heat vent that comes out of the vent on the doghouse. ( and I did add a boot on the shift lever)

On a resent trip we were able to fit 5 peoples worth of luggage, cold weather gear, enough tools to crew for a rally car and bikes for a 5 day trip, and still have roof to sit comfortably.I couldn't be happier with it.

The exterior of the van was left pretty simple for now. After the new metal was welded in it was given a thin coat of body filler,primed and painted then gone over with some roll on bed liner. I added a generic body side molding to help with the transition from bed liner to paint I am hoping to have the rest of the van painted next spring.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22 ... G_0080.jpg
I added some support to the back door and made a mount for the spare tire on it. The tire doesn't move much at all and the door seems to be handling the weight pretty good so far.

So this is how it sits as of now, I am planning on adding some rock sliders/steps, a roof rack,front winch bumper, as well some more amenities on the inside. Thanks for reading! Any questions please let me know

Cscray94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #12

Garage

great setup! again your body work looks great. more work than id do. props to ya there, lol.

floor looks really nice. love the dark wood. great choice of wheels too. i really like those stocker dm alloys.

impreza is rad too, are you part of that (wrech/crew)? if you guys ever travel to the idaho rally you should get a hold of me. i cant afford to race the actual rally (car wont pass tech), but i go volunteer when scheduling works out (june is a busy month for me and the wife). would be cool to camp with another member if possible
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #13

I like the DIY tie-rod set up. How much money do you think you saved going this route?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
great setup! again your body work looks great. more work than id do. props to ya there, lol.

floor looks really nice. love the dark wood. great choice of wheels too. i really like those stocker dm alloys.

impreza is rad too, are you part of that (wrech/crew)? if you guys ever travel to the idaho rally you should get a hold of me. i cant afford to race the actual rally (car wont pass tech), but i go volunteer when scheduling works out (june is a busy month for me and the wife). would be cool to camp with another member if possible
Thanks!!
I really like how the wheels look too, and they were pretty cheap! Cheap enough to get a matching spare.

Myself and 2 of my good friends are the crew for the Subaru, but my brother also has a Datsun rally but it is currently being rebuilt.
We usually stick to rallies "close to home" Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, mostly Rally America ran events. I have been watching the Idaho rally for some time, and would love to make it out that way. I will defiantly get ahold of you if we ever make it that way. And thanks for volunteering, those events would never work without the help of volunteers!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I like the DIY tie-rod set up. How much money do you think you saved going this route?
After buying the reamer I probably only saved $150, but I did gain the ability to get cheap replacement parts.
Not having to depend on any of the Quigley specific parts, and be able to get everything from a local parts store was worth it for me.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscray94
Thanks!!
I really like how the wheels look too, and they were pretty cheap! Cheap enough to get a matching spare.
theres a set of 4 on our local craigslist for 150 bucks. thought that was a great deal myself, lol.

Quote:
Myself and 2 of my good friends are the crew for the Subaru, but my brother also has a Datsun rally but it is currently being rebuilt.
We usually stick to rallies "close to home" Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, mostly Rally America ran events. I have been watching the Idaho rally for some time, and would love to make it out that way. I will defiantly get ahold of you if we ever make it that way.
makes complete sense. idaho is a long way for you to go for a weekend race. i dont venture any further than my lifelines (people i know within a short tow from event that can house my dead vehicle until i can rescue it ) either.

Quote:
And thanks for volunteering, those events would never work without the help of volunteers!
of course! i really enjoy the idaho rally when the stars line up and i get to attend.

my wife an i chair an event in june (freezeout hillclimb) each year and we rely heavily on volunteers as well. this year will be the events 50th consecutive running. needless to say, we completely understand where youre coming from

heres a little trip report i did on this years event.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16362
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #17

Update.
Here is some more pictures of more changes that were made over last summer.
I made a roof rack, I used JCR off-road roof rack mounting brackets with a few modifications to them. I used 1" electrical conduit, yes it is rigid enough

With the rack upside down. All the cross bars have a slight bend to them to match the roof, and will add strength once the rack has the deck put on it.

I added an ARB awning and the room that has a floor. It works great for extra storage while camping, and a place to stand up and change.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #18

That awning room is huge! I like it.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:56 AM   #19

Interested in more details regarding the tire mount. How is the door holding up? Could you post a few more pix of both sides?
I want to do the same thing but wasn't sure the door would handle the weight.
Thx in advance.

GARret
GARhead is offline   Reply With Quote