Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

Re: My new kitevan project. 2000 e250 handicap high top

Ok, had a little time thought I'd post some more pictures of the plastidip-athon I had over the weekend. The more I use it, the more I love it.

WARNING: Picture overload.

These aren't all in the order it was done. I actually did the front bumper and lights, then taped and started the rear plate holder, then taped and started the rear bumper. The whole time I just kept adding coats to each one as the last one dried. I gave each light coat about eight to ten minutes.

So here's the rear bumper process:

Rear bumper was beat up. Also, hard to see, but the PO added some type of crazy tough non-skid tape to the top. I just wiped it clean as I could get it and shot the dip over it. Turned out awesome. It rained today and I tested the non-skid action with dip over it and it's really grippy still, even wet. Perfect.
Ugly stock bumper:

Okay, first coat on. Eight to go.

And we're done. Very nice. Turned out perfect.

Up close. Looks like a good powdercoat job.

smshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

Okay. So now onto the front bumper.

Okay, so bolted the light bar on. Had to use a titanium drill bit. Mild steel bit wouldn't go through mister bumper. Titanium coated one went through like butter.

I also don't like the ugly faded grey plastic valance. And this is a zero miles brand new dealer pull off chrome bumper. They come from the factory that ugly grey.

More chromage. That grill is krylon black. It's getting dipped next too since the bumper turned out so nice.

Wiped the chrome with windex to prep it for paint. I didn't sand so that I could always peel it off if I get tired of matt black. You don't have to sand with this stuff to adhere anway. Have to get that paint mentality out of my head.

Since everything is chrome, it's gonna take a lot of coats. I think I ended up with eight here.

Tapin and preppin:

Taped the corners too so I didn't get overspray on the fender lips.

Okay, so this was my first foray into spraying plasti dip. I hadn't figured out the secret. You'll notice the coverage is spotty here. You shouldn't see that stippling. It should just be shades darker. This was the first coat. The problem was the temperature of the CANS. It was 40 degrees outside. The cans HAVE TO BE HOT. You want to fill a mop bucket of sink hot water (hot as the sink can get it. Not boiling obviously). Pull the can out of the bucket of water, dry it with a towel, and start shooting. As soon as the can stops feeling warm to the touch, drop it back in the bucket and start again with a hot can.

If you use a cold or even room temperature can, you'll get this stippling. I'll post a couple pics so you can tell what's happening. Luckily plastidip is the most forgiving thing I've ever used. Even over this bonehead start, I just kept laying on coats 2-8 with the fine mist coverage of the hot cans and you couldn't tell it started out stippled. Looked like flawless powdercoat. Love it.

Stipple first coat pics:

Closer pic of stippled first coat on bumper:

Another good one of the stippling on our Harbor Freight KC knockoffs.

Okay, this I think was coat two, and at about the point I figured out the temperature thing. I didn't just figure it out, I asked some questions over at the plastidip car forums over at http://www.dipyourcar.com

Those guys blow my mind daily with what they're doing with this stuff.

Okay, starting to get better coverage and blurring out the stippling with good spray pattern:

Yeah, here's about six coats in. Good coverage. Lookin nice. Can still see a little chrome through it. Let's put a few more on and see what we get.

Ahh. Much better!

Aaand coat numero Ocho. Lookin good!

Alright. Let's back this baby out into the Sun and sePasses the ten foot test too. Looks factory clean.

Yup.
e what we've got. I think it's winking.

Nice. Looks like powdercoat, even up close. Perfect.

Let's pull the tape off and step back a few.

Yup.

Passes the ten foot test. Looks factory clean.

We'll count this as a win.

I'm really thinking about doing my door handles next, followed by the doghouse and console.

My doghouse has a bunch of scratches kicked in it and is faded/ugly. I think this stuff is just the ticket. Doesn't smell like anything either.

Hope this helps guys. Stay tuned for updates.

Okay.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Site Team

A couple questions.

How does this stuff hold up to things like rock hits? Being on the front bumper, I imagine it's going to be pelted with rocks, bugs and other small debris. I'm guessing this can be touched-up if something causes a tear, but I'm first concerned about its durability, and resistance to shredding if a tear develops.

Also, I know that on improperly applied paint, if there's not good adhesion, water can get between the paint layer and the item being painted, which in turn can lead to a rust multiplier. Can I screw this stuff up where it's not properly adhered to the surface?

[EDIT: One last question. Have you only used the black PlastiDip, or more importantly, have you used the Smoke PlastiDip? That looks interesting.]

thanks,
Herb
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #14

@ Bronco

I used the plastidip on my jeep. Prepped it perfect, scuffed up the paint, self etching primer, multiple coats, right amount of dry/cure time between coats, etc. The first trip out on the trails and it chipped, then eventually started to peel. I believe that it could have the potential to be a good product, just not on exterior parts. I hate to but I swear by that raptor liner now. I've used hurculiner, rhino liner, and the rustoleum brand too and find that the raptor is the easiest and best product. The thing about coatings is that prep is key! Obviously like all advice, you can take it with a grain of salt. But take it from someone who put alot of time into using the products, then had to go back and redo it with something different. The liner has a texture to it as opposed to the smoothness of the plastidip, but I've slid heavy metal objects across it and beat it to s**t without it budging. Just trying to throw in my input.

Some examples..

Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #15

Garage

^^^ the stuff is pretty tough if you put it on thick enough, it should withstand rock chips well cause it stays kinda rubbery. a lot of the locals around here coat thier wheels with it every winter to protect the finish against gerneral winter grime, like sanding (never know what your gonna run into around here, gravel, sand, lava rock), and whatever deicer is from tarnishing thier wheels. peel it off once winter is over and the wheels still look brand new. pretty cool stuff.

word of advice though, a high pressure car wash wand will take it off if theres a spot that is loose or ripped.

oh, and frontend looks great! i plan on doing my bumper and grill once its warm enough.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #16

I can't say much about the toughness really other than the youtube videos I've seen of guys that have had it on their wheels for over a year and it still looks great.

I don't have any chips on my van or problems and it's been on a week.

I suspect there's a place for every type of lining. My goals with the plastidip are different because I've got a kite van, not a 4x4 van.

If I wanted a super tough non removable liner I'd use rhino liner or similar like the above jeep. Then I'm stuck with it, and it can get heavy quick.

Plastidip made sense for my van because it's mostly in parking lots by the beach, I wanted to keep weight to a minimum, and wanted waterproofing for my lights and bumper. It's just a bonus that it looks so good and you can peel it off or change it any time you feel like it.

I posted over in the plasti-dip thread about this stuff and there's a lot of guys discussing different liner types.

As far as all the youtube videos and the dipyourcar.com forums say, it holds up pretty much indefinitely even with no prep.

At least two years out for sure. Then again, when you can get a paintjob this nice in the three hours it took me with no real downside if you mess it up (peel it, do it again), it's hard to make an argument against the stuff.

If I end up with someone keying a body panel and making a huge tear in it, I'll probably try just taping off the tear and laying down a bunch of layers and see what happens. Obviously if they maliciously peel it off, I'll just reshoot the damage.

I'm going to do my Wrangler fenders next as they are really faded and stained from 170k miles of use and abuse.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Site Team

In a roundabout endorsement of this product, it must be good because California doesn't allow you to buy it in 1 gallon sizes. You can buy as many (inefficient) spray cans as you want, generating all sorts of waste, but you can't buy a gallon size container of it.

Herb
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

well no one said california is known for their common sense when it comes to laws lol.. The funny thing about OP's statement about the weight issue is that I hear it alot. Do people think the product gains weight as you spray it? I used two kits to do ALL of what I've done on my truck and the kits only weight about 3-5 pounds. That's the same as one kite rig or a board with boots. So I'm not too sure that's even an argument. I understand what you're saying about being able to just take if off when need be. I was going for a more permanent, rust preventative type situation since I live on a small island in the caribbean, rust is a huge issue.

Completely irrelevant, but OP check out www.kitescoop.com It's my friends website. Good kiting forum on there and some really good videos that we did here. I'm planning on doing a road trip around teh states with a van which is why i joined this website to start research. Hopefully you'll still be doing good business and I can swing by for a session or two and we'll talk about our vans! I'll give you some Tona product as well

Keep up the updates! I'm currently trying to figure out a bin with an incorporated draining system to put all my wet gear in and some kind of sling for my board. I just added a compressor in the back of the jeep as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #19

Thanks man. I'll that site out. Definitely hit us up if you're coming through the central US. We're in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Okkite.com
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #20

oh sweet, you guys are a cabrinha dealer.. My buddy dre has been their cover boy forever.. He's the one that taught me how to kite. I'm trying to get into kiteskating though. I'm completely obsessed with wakeskating. I'm currently dealing with my jetski being in 1000000 pieces.

What are your plans for the gear in the van? Leaving seats in?