Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Need torque values for U bolts '08 E250 Quigley

My van rebuild is progressing well. I have finally removed the wheel spacers, brake calipers and disks to be replaced with Power Stop packages. I also took the leaf spring pack apart and removed one leaf .I am looking for a bit softer ride since the van will never be loaded with heavy cargo and I don’t expect the interior build out to add a lot of weight. I bought new U-bolts, nuts and washers because the original U-bolts were a bear to remove and I doubt I could screw the original nuts down far enough to make up for the removed leaf. The new bolts are easy to screw on vs. using a big cheater bar and further stressing my shoulder from the painful removal process.
Can someone please give me the torque specs for the U-bolts and for the two bolts holding the brake calipers on. I also have to put the spacers back on and figure the best torque for them is as tight as I can get without using a cheater bar. Since the spacers are not OEM for the van, I doubt there would be any specs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
RH Rear U-bolts on.jpg   LH rear leaf spring work.jpg  

flyr6105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #2

Torque depends on U-bolt size, here's a chart.
Let Us Measure Your Springs & U-Bolts in Auburn, WA

By the way, I installed Powerstop slotted and drilled rotors on my rear axle about a year ago, and the other day I looked at them, and all the holes were filled with some black substance. I haven't taken the time to blow them out, and have no idea what filled them up, but perhaps mud?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the link to torque specs. Gosh, I hope I didn't make a big mistake with the Power Stop brakes. Have the pads worn a lot in one year? I also read something about rotors or other front end brake parts that are for auto ABS systems. Power stop never listed such an option. Fact or another mistake on my end? Fake news??
Old 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #4

Power stop rotors seem to work fine, but I haven't checked the wear yet. I'm sure yours will be fine too.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

Thanks arctictraveller. I put the leaf springs back together last night and am ready for the brake parts. Since I was working with the differential to get the right angle as I cranked up the u bolts, I decided that I should replace the ujoint on the drive shaft. Looks pretty easy. Anything I need to watch out for?
Attached Thumbnails
Leaf springs back together.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

The pinion angle should be set by the welded on spring perches, no adjustment needed. As for the ujoints, just be carefull you don't loose any of the little roller bearings when you ipush on the new caps, plenty of grease should hold them in place. Once assembled, they should turn freely with no rough spots or sticking.
Advanced 4wd