Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

New 'Home-builder' Intro

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and thought this would be the best place to make an introduction since I'm planning a home-built.

Already purchased a very clean 2000 extended E-350 7.3 Turbo Diesel Cargo Van. Got a lot of work ahead of me, so it's good to have this cool network of home-builders to consult and share ideas with.

Though I already have the van, I'm still in the design/configuration phase. But I've pretty much got the basic concept worked out, which is as follows:

Concept
*Fully Self-Contained for extended stays "off-the-the-grid", so to speak.
*Extreme weather compatible.
*Eventual 4x4 conversion (as funds permit), but will settle for a rear locker with off-roadable tires and a minor lift for now.
*'Golden Fuel Systems' WVO conversion (with todays unstable economy and increasing fuel prices, this is an irresistible option for me)

Configuration
*EB walkthru floorplan that would be very similar to the RB15, but with a 7.0cu fridge/refer slotted in between the bathroom and closet.
*SMB 'Voyager' style high-top.
*Earthroamer style bathroom with cassette toilet.
*Front swiveling Captain's seats with optional break-down round dinette table directly behind cab and in front of coach entry door

Appliances
*Wallas Diesel Cooktop.
*Espar Diesel Airtronic furnace.
*Espar Diesel Hydronic water heater.
*Danhard a/c for the coach
*Microwave/convection oven
*30gal Fresh water system
*6gal water heater
*20gal Grey Water Tank
*Fantastic coach vent fan

Electrical System
*Two 210amp Concorde AGM coach batteries
*Two 210watt Kyocera Solar Panel Charging System
*High output Inverter
*Dual high output alternators

Old 07-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #2

Re: New 'Home-builder' Intro

Hello & Welcome from a other Newbee

Looks like you copied a lot of my Notes.

What kind of Top are you going to put on it?

Have fun building the interior.

Mike
nalle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #3

Thank you, it's nice to be welcomed.

Ha, I'd add you to my list of credits, but the truth is my inspiration came from Earthroamer, PleasureWay and the Badgers wonderful blog.

I plan to use a 24" tall fiberglass hardtop, similar to the SMB 'Voyager' top.

Do you have any experience off-roading with a 2wd with rear locker? I've done some mild off-roading in various 4x4 vehicles but never with 2wd...kinda nervous about the idea.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Friend

get inside a Voyager and Cruiser

TONS of space difference....

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Friend

get inside a Voyager and Cruiser

TONS of space difference....

bw
I am definitely considering the cruiser top, but seem to be drawn to the voyager for it's comparitively clean aerodynamic appearance. The extra space would be undoubtbly useful, but I don't mind sacrificing the added space for a relatively sleeker exterior appearance. To my eye, the van takes on bohemoth proportions with the Cruiser top. Having said that, I could grow to like the look if It turns out that the extra space would make more sense for my needs. For now, I'm happily single, no kids...just the occasional female companion (if I'm lucky ).

I checked out your gallery, and I'm curious about what's going on with the front window on your Cruiser top? Is there enough room for an adult sized 'attic bed', or would it be a little claustraphobic?

Any Interior pics?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #6

Hi,
Well yeah we have a old 2wd Doka (VW Vanagons Crew Cab) with we usa around the House and woods. I am often suprised how far I get with the thing, sometimes I need a little speed to make it, but heh.
Now with this said: If you are planing to drive a lot off the beaten Path and someway can afford to make it 4x4, do so. The Doka ist basicly a junker, so I do not care if it dents, or something breaks. It is a matter of what you want out of the van. A 2wd with Diff Lock and a whinch will go very far. If you want to do a lot of Offroading and more then just the Basic go 4x4 if you can.

Well nice to get credit, but don't worry your one step ahead of me anyway. Just have pretty much the same Ideas on the Kitchen with Diesel instead of Gas as fuel.

Have fun building

Mike
nalle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver
Do you have any experience off-roading with a 2wd with rear locker? I've done some mild off-roading in various 4x4 vehicles but never with 2wd...kinda nervous about the idea.
I know a person that owns a 2WD (rear locker) lifted van with Crusier top. He swears he can do anything a 4x4 can do with a winch, air compressor and a pull pal. Never seen him in action though and he doesn't rock climb. Four wheel drive is nice to keep from chaining up and can help to keep from airing down in light sandy situations. It also takes some stress off the rear axle (and drive train) that a heavy vehicle can put on it. But even with four wheel drive I've slid into a rut on wet clay. Hope I'm not making you more nervous

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #8

That's encouraging, and thanks for reminding me about the winch...that and a few D-rings I think, would be crucial equipment for an off-roading 2wd. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or mud bogging...just want to be able to get to those pristine, wilderness camping locations. I wouldn't even attempt to go off-road with that set-up if the conditions were wet. I grew up on a farm, and many's the time I got the tractor and trailer stuck in the muck...It's a really sinking feeling of despair when you know you're well and truly stuck, and your best efforts just get you more stuck!

Btw: Nice rig! - I enjoyed looking through your gallery. It's amazing what a difference big wheels and a lift can make to these vans; that one pic with your rig next to "The Marlboro Man's" stock looking 4x4 really shows the difference...your van probably dwarfs stock 2wd.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver
I enjoyed looking through your gallery. It's amazing what a difference big wheels and a lift can make to these vans; that one pic with your rig next to "The Marlboro Man's" stock looking 4x4 really shows the difference...your van probably dwarfs stock 2wd.
Thanks, but not only can Hans out drive me, his RB can probably go many more places than mine. He's is a professional guide in the Moab area who guided for many Hollywood movie makers including all the Marlboro commercials. He was a great guy to meet when I was there last year.
Now if you want to see a van that makes mine look small, look at Buji's. I had seen his pictures of it but when I saw it at SMB ...Huge.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #10

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought the almost the same van to do my build out. So far I love it this last weekend I racked up another 2000 miles on it and love every minute of it. Your plans are along the same lines as mine were from the start, how ever when I started pricing those appliances and I think I would get more use out of putting new subzero appliance in my home and go with propane appliances in the van. In the end it would still cost less and my house would be worth more. Either way I could not afford to put all the good stuff in my van to go camping. But I still feel I can build a nice rig using propane appliances and stay within my budget.
As far as 2wd vs 4wd, mine is 4wd but my last van was 2wd and people would not believe where I was able to get that van. My advice before you invest in tires, lift, locker, or anything else buy a winch the first time you use it you will be glad you made the purchase. On memorial day we got stuck at ten pm after eight hours of digging and jacking with a high lift jack we were on our way again , you would not believe how much my girlfriend can dig with a canoe paddle in the middle of the night.
To say the least a winch would have been my best friend and would have shortened ordeal by probably about seven and half hours. I knew this and I have winches on both of my broncos and my jeep, but I just have not gotten around to putting one on the van yet.
Good luck with your build I will be keeping and eye on it.
Derek
72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote