Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #11

Re: New member - my unique find for my first build - TV-Van

thanks boywonder...sent you a pm. For now, when the mast is removed it will leave a perfect hole for a fantastic fan...figure I will grow into a high-top/pop top as a future upgrade.

gcvt - the remember sign is another warning about checking that the mast is down before doing ANYTHING else...I'm sure it has happened often over the years...taking out a power line or snapping a mast off with those darned overpasses.

I will update the thread as I make progress on the de-construction and re-construction.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt

What's the "Remember!!!" sign behind the driver's seat say? Looks important.
Maybe remember to lower that mast before driving off?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

Man if you are into hunting that is a built in tree stand ready to go!
sidetrak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

Re: New member-my unique find for my first build-TV-Van(upda

Hi Guys...thought I would update on the progress...posted a bunch of pics to "my gallery"...the de-construction took longer than I had hoped...but I have posted some pics of the breakdown of the broadcast van...this thing was like a data center...probably 200lbs of wiring ...a few hundred pounds of electronic equipment...metal racks...heavy shelves/desks...I now have an "almost" clean slate to work with. I still have to remove the mast...but that weights 240lbs by itself...so I will need help or the luck of the original build company getting some free time to remove it. These masts go for a few thousand $$...so I threw an ad on CL to see if any local hobbyist might be looking for something like this...big powerful AC and DC compressors included...any of you guys in the SF Bay Area need a WillBurt 40ft Mast set-up?

Excited, as I am road tripping to Action Van Sunday night for a Monday install of new suspension package.

So far:

Removed the super annoying/loud back-up alarm
Installed the steering stabilizer - as you all know...huge improvement
Replaced front bumper from junk yard...blacked it out (not super impressed with Rustoleum brand plastic paint)
Blacked out front grill
Installed light bar and some lights (shameless copy of other vans posted here...thanks for all the details on parts to order, etc.)
Blacked out rear bumper and ladder
Found center console in junk yard...great $25 spent (tv van had built an aluminum plate and had 3 phones and cb radio all bolted on...non of them operational)

Purchased:

Whynter 45 qt fridge
Helio shower
shower tent
laminate wood flooring

To do:

build custom gaucho sofa/bed...bought wood supplies and cleaned garage to make room for project...will have foam and cushions made...thinking vinyl

Got quotes on remodeling interior...too much $$$$ for my cheap transformer platform...so decided on dusting off the bad DIY skills and pulled the tools out of the garage...here we go

Interior - going to do vinyl walls...wondering if I can just vinyl or vinyl with foam backing over the existing carpeted wall panels?? Remove the existing panel...cover with new material...keep old carpet as extra insulation and skip the hassle of removing old carpet...re-install...Any thoughts ??

Going to have the front seats redone with new carpet flooring...getting some bids...thinking of vinyl for ease of cleaning

Cheap laminate wood floors for the mid section

Thinking about putting some sort of rubber flooring in the back with a drain so I can put wet stuff back there (wetsuits, muddy shoes, bikes, rinse stuff off, etc.)

New stereo system installed with back-up camera

Thats all for now!!

-Steve
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #15

If anyone is feeling motivated by this thread, I just saw a 2003 E350 EB Quigley ex-TV van on my local CL for $3500. Looks rough, but the price is right! http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4735643110.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #16

Cant wait to see pics with the lift. I've been thinking about lifting my van as well...just too shy to pull the trigger on it.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #17

@mikracer

I will def post some pics of the new "look" after the lift...I drive through SLO every few weeks to see my daughter at UCSB ...one of the motivations for this build is to stay at the beach and bring my bikes and wetsuits and not have to deal with hotels all the time...happy to swing by sometime after it's done and show you how it came out.

-Steve
Old 10-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfyteam
@mikracer

I will def post some pics of the new "look" after the lift...I drive through SLO every few weeks to see my daughter at UCSB ...one of the motivations for this build is to stay at the beach and bring my bikes and wetsuits and not have to deal with hotels all the time...happy to swing by sometime after it's done and show you how it came out.

-Steve

That sounds great! Let me know the next time you're driving through.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #19

How's the van with the new lift?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #20

@mikracer

Van is great...first real test of the beast was the road trip to SoCal...on Hwy-5 I was only comfortable going 65...pushing 70...wasn't terrible, but a little less than fully confident....

After the Action Van suspension...coming home...not only was I almost eye-to-eye with the truckers...but I could cruise at 75 to 80 no problem with full confidence...drives great...am really happy.

I laughed because I had just put the ford steering stabilizer on it, and didn't realize that it was not compatible with the Action Van modifications...so I added the Action Van stabilizer to the build. The only other item they replaced were worn out sway bar bushings...so it wasn't completely falling apart after 205K...just sloppy steering/suspension.

They did also take out some of the extra cargo leafs in the rear that were put on the van to handle all of the TV/broadcast gear that was in it...overall it's stiff, but not too stiff and really drives well.

I have a bunch of pics of it on the lift and a few after it was all done...just slammed and haven't had time to post them...later this week I will get them added.

-Steve