Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #11

Re: new project, like i needed another

Hello,
I'd like to ask you more about the running boards that you installed. What brand, specs, where purchased from, and who installed? They look great, we're looking to upgrade. Right now we have fiberglass running boards and flares all in one type unit and they make the van look like it belongs to a grandma.

I am also interested in how the process of the pop top from Colorado campervans works for you.
This is also something we want to do in the future.

Thanks in advance

rayandjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #12

the Running boards are ATS design UNI I boards. i got the 92" length for an excursion since 102" didnt work for what i wanted to do (longer than the actual body it seems). I purchased at carid.com, and ATS called to confirm i need E350 brackets instead of excursion. my experience was good and the board fit well, mounted in a couple hours by me. they actually forgot to include 1 pair of brackets and they over nighted them to me.

Colorado Camper Van i am highly impressed with. He is local to me so i went to check out his conversion first hand before committing, having spent enough time in sportsmobiles in the past and knowing what they offer--and many years in personal syncros. I was so impressed with his work, his knowledge and skills in everything mechanical and just his character, i pulled the trigger by the time me and the wife got home. the build date will be anyday now when he finishes another project, i will for sure post pictures and feedback when done, but Derek is a top notch craftsman who listens to his customers needs. My choices were Colorado Camper Van as #1, do my own Eurovan top as #2, sportsmobile top as #3. cant wait to get it installed
coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #13

i think its about time i give an update here, i got the van back from Colorado Camper Van. It did take quite a bit longer than I expected for Derek to complete, but in Dereks defense, i did tell him to take his time and do the job right--ha. And i am happy with the work that he did, he even made good and redid a couple items that we both thought wasnt 100%.

I just had CCV do the poptop/bed, i plan on building the rest of the interior myself. Its a 14" hitop on electric lifts with remote. The bed design was kind of my idea which Derek was 100% willing to accommodate. I cant take the credit for it though, im coming from years of experience in VW westfalia's and it mimicks those boeds. CCV's most popular upper bed is a platform that is hinged on struts so you have more standup room when the top is raised and the bed lifted up. I had CCV make my bed so it was still lift-able when the top was up, but the 1st 1/3 of the bed was on a hinge that allowed it to flip on to itself. In the RB van i have it gave me quite a bit more area of full standup height when the top was down, the best of both worlds. Since it was new for him, he took 2 cracks at it and got it right (see the redo comment). I upgraded to triple wall insulated canvas as well. only other item was fantastic fan, and some yakima tracks

Like i said before, i had planned on doing my own pop top, and i have no regrets having CCV do the work (id be working on it all winter)

top down-i can fully stand up at 5'-9.5"

top up

bed flipped top up

bed out

bed flipped, top down, i can still stash stuff up top

lots of stand up room

where Elsie the cow belongs

next order of business is my interior build, got my propex furnace and fridge sitting here waiting
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #14

new project, like i needed another

Nice looking rig. Hope you get many hours of enjoyment from it.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #15

Looking great!! I really like the extra room in the CCV over the SMB PH.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #16

HOLY COW! that's some headroom!
Chrismw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #17

Regarding the OP, we also came from the VW Bus camping world. Good bunch of people.

We now roll with an Econoline passenger van towing a tent trailer. I've gathered parts to make a pop top similar to the VW style. Need to finish up some home projects first.

That top looks good on your van. What is the floor to ceiling dimension when opened?
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #18

What was the solution for the rear AC?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #19

Regis101, the floor to ceiling height when opened is 100". and i can sit up in the upper bunk with several inches to spare. im 5'-9.5" and can stand up when the top is down in the open section not occupied by bed. lose zero hright from stock van in bed area

carringb, the rear AC/heat is still functional with the exception of the rear control (never saw much of a need for it anyway). this is how he did it in my RB, on the EB vans ive seen the outlets were on the rearmost pillar (is it d?)

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #20

How much was the Colorado Camper Van pop top? Did it take them long to install it?

Thanks
SLCChris is offline   Reply With Quote