Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

New van and new member...

New guy posting!!

Just picked up a 1997 E350 V10. Has about 93k and is pretty mint in terms of condition. Plan is to lift and sportsmobile or similar the thing. Really like the ideas I have read and want to really try and get this thing rolling for the family to enjoy and have some serious fun.

Plan on initially getting it lifted with stuff from Action Van. If there are other options especially east coast oriented, I am all ears. Been thinking of doing a U-Joint Off Road package, but just using the front axle for now and their lift so I can build on it... Don't have the needed funds right now for a complete 4x4...

Also want to do some great wheels and tires and the things like bumpers and ladders, etc.

Anyways, she all good and church like right now in stocker form. Feel kinda silly running around with it, but it is gonna be cool.

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: New van and new member...

Congrats on the new van and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you've got some great stuff planned, but in the meantime don't let the stock rig keep you from going out and enjoying it!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum and to the wonderful Sportsmobile world. Here are the before and after pictures of my rig. Action Van did all of the work. Larry is a great guy and very easy to work with. He does quality work. But it's a long way from Ohio.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #4

Yeah, Larry seems to be awesome to deal with. I am probably going to install everything myself. The only concern I have is that maybe a 6" is too much and that a 4" might be a better idea?

I know I need to do some more searching, but also interested in whomever does a spare tire holder for the back of the van vs under the body...

Everyone on here has some seriously awesome vans! I am VERY excited and out here in Ohio, there aren't many if any around and hope to get people twisting necks when I go by.

Here it is totally church like!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Team

My lift is a 4". I originally thought I was getting a 6" lift, but Larry said 4" was the right height for my van. The tire carrier on the back of my van is Aluminess, as are my bumpers. I still carry the spare under my van as a backup. I probably don't need it, but I go on some back roads where I could tear up two tires. But I guess I'd better learn how to use my HiLift jack before that happens.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

Garage

Welcome! My van looks very similar but with fixed top. Is that a 10' awning??

Brad
Old 12-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #7

Well, looks like a few big steps have been taken in regards to the van...

Been talking with Larry at Action Van and have been SUPER excited over how he deals with me and my questions. The guy is very honest and seemingly not a sales guy that pushes everything other than what I really need. Example are wheels and tires. I was wanting a 9" wide wheel and bigger tires. Both are more money, but he really wants me to avoid anything larger than 8.5" wide wheel and really thinks a 285/70/17 tire is ideal and anything bigger is not needed or suggested...

So, I am buying from Action:

-5"+ front with a 4" rear lift system. I think he calls it the ultimate package.
-Shock upgrade.
-Steering stabilizer kit.
-Front 2 light bar setup
-Aluminess rear tire carrier.
-Bushwacker fender flares.
-Rear wheel spacers.

Will also be buying 17" wheels and 285/70/17 BFGs...

Should be a decent start, eh?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

So, have got a few updates and the ball is rolling along.

Got the windows tinted at Xpertint in Amelia,OH. Does an awesome job and is as professional and perfect as it can ever be. Made the thing look amazing...

Before pic just a few posts above, but here it is with tint:

Friday, received a skid full of yummy goodness!

Here are the parts for the lift. The workmanship is absolutely amazing. I am amazed at the craftsmanship. Definitely not a lift kit from Pro Comp!! I know the Radius arms and such are not in the proper location relative to the way they go on, I was just laying everything out to inventory.

Here's a couple of examples of the welding that goes on. Nothing is cast and nothing is done half ass. Larry and the guys are awesome:

Did the shock upgrade also for all around:

And the steering stabilizer setup:

Did the rear wheel spacers to give it an equal stance front to back. These will help when the fender flares are on also.

Did some cosmetic upgrades also. Front brush guard hand made by Action Van. Same workmanship as seen in the lift kit. The powder coating and everything is spot on. I almost hate to install this as it is so awesome looking!! It is actually bigger than I expected. I was thinking I was getting a much smaller version and was VERY happy to see the bigger unit.

Lights go on top of the main bar like so:

Bought some fender flares to widen the look and to protect the body from debris from the bigger wheels and tires...

Also got a spare tire carrier from Aluminess. Pretty awesome work on this also by those guys:

Last but not least in the kit, I got some new wheels. American Racing's ATX wheels in 17s with Teflon coating. All 5 are gonna look sweet!! Will be wrapped in some beefy skins!

Pretty much it for now. Hoping to start this thing next weekend and have it done soon. I'll leave the stocker wheels and tires on for winter and then have the good stuff on for Spring. Will have the wheels and tires on initially to get it aligned and setup and will take pics once completed!

I cannot recommend Larry and Action Van enough. They have been so awesome to deal with. I am across the country and he was very patient, very informative and NEVER once tried to upsell me on silly things I didn't need. In fact, he pushed me away from a few things as he thought they were not needed and would be wasting money.

I actually bought everything but the tint so far from him and will probably go to him for anything else he can get.

I will be moving on to the interior in the Spring, but if the weather stays like it has been, I might start sooner!!! Cosmetic and outside first and then on to the inside!!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm sure you must get a lot of satisfaction from installing all of this stuff yourself, but it looks like work to me. Maybe the real reason I don't do this kind of work is not lack of skills, as I've always thought. It's that I'm too lazy!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #10

A lot of work and, if you're like me, the end result would look like my avatar.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote