Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Garage
Opt Overland Pop-Top Reviews?

Started looking at Opt Overlands pop-top, but can find very little feedback on them. Anybody have one that can comment on them?

I'm not a huge fan of the lines of it, but it's hard to get a good visual with the limited amount of pictures I've found. It does look like it goes up and down pretty quick which I like. Not sure if the roll up window covers are a good or a bad thing. I get that they'd be out of the way rolled up, but are you able to just open them part way like if you wanted just a little air flow? How do they handle cold, wet and wind? One of the biggest compliments I've heard on CCV tops is their ability to deal with wind, but the constant stream of posts on their questionable quality and service give me pause, and there are plenty of posts discussing their tops in general.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

I tried to contact these guys in the Fall and never heard back. My guess is they have not sold any
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

I emailed them a while ago and I got an email back from the owner. I think forum member "MSD" has ties to them as hes the one that provides the actual tops (I think).
Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I emailed them a while ago and I got an email back from the owner. I think forum member "MSD" has ties to them as hes the one that provides the actual tops (I think).
What did the owner say?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
What did the owner say?
I think I asked about the price and he said to call. I wasn't super serious about it so I never followed up.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

Drizzt,. Did you ever call Opt for more info?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
Yes Dai aka Opt was using my 14" top. I've sold that mold and have moved on to greener pastures. As far as I know he is still getting tops from the new owner every so often.

I am still providing the 24" fixed tops thru me aka 5280 Fabrication. But the 14" mold is no longer.

I know Opt has maybe built 2 of the 6 pop tops he was supposed to build. But I am no longer involved with them in any way...

If you are considering placing an order on a pop top I'd suggest talking with forum member Jimmyrig to get some insight on a few things and what to expect. If you'd like send him a PM and I'm sure he's willing to discuss this matter.

I've made a few changes with what I'm doing with my tops and a few other overlanding products I've designed (traction boards, Ladders, Gear box) and will be posting up shortly with what I've decided to do... For me it's actually really exciting but can't really say anything just yet.

Cheers
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #8

Hi folks,
If you have any questions feel free to chime in on Instagram @optoverland or give me a ring 970.800.1863 as I don’t frequently visit the forums. As our pop tops go, they are available as DIY kits for regular and extended E-series vans.
Thanks for the support.

Instagram @optoverland

Overland gathering every Wednesday at our workshop 5pm-9ish (40.60634, -105.078459
opt overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
Drizzt,. Did you ever call Opt for more info?
I have. But I'm not looking for sales information, my post/questions were more looking for user feedback and/or opinions.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Got it. I PM's Jimmyrig from MSD's post above but have not heard back yet. Maybe he can put up a little review here if he sees this?