Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #11

Re: Other Penthouse Roof Manufacturers??

Hi;

How about a slim PH made from carbon fibre? A nearby company makes yacht masts from it as well as SAR drop nacelles. I bet he could make one you could square dance on.

$$$

Regards and happy Sunday,

Gavin

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Yep, I was wondering if you can walk on it, cargo rack it, solar panel it. My big ol' gun lets me do all three at once. 'Course not everyone would add to a top.
Yes, to all three. I've got a GTRV 4X4 with the penthouse top, and I've climbed on the roof, with no creaking or noticeable distortion. It seems quite solid, despite the low profile. It's built of hand-laid fiberglass over a plywood core, with a couple wood ribs placed crosswise for strength. If you grab the roof edges, it flexes easily, but the center portion that spans the main part of the roof has a lot of structural strength due to the plywood core. Last week, I attached some Yakima tracks to the top for my kayaks and a cargo box, and I will be adding some solar panels later on this week.
van2gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #13

anyone willing to divulge cost on the GTRV? You could be stealthy and give it to us in Canadian, then we could convert it. Ah, slick huh? I should've been a spy.

thx
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
anyone willing to divulge cost on the GTRV? You could be stealthy and give it to us in Canadian, then we could convert it. Ah, slick huh? I should've been a spy.

thx
"Ah, slick huh?" Um, no.

It would be "Ah, slick eh?" Then you could be the perfect spy, huh.

Fer sure, eh!

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #15

OK you GTRV owners, you guys are holding out on the big secret. Just how much does one of these things cost? And I am curious as to why GTRV doesn't just post prices on their website like SMB does. Does GTRV install just the PH or do you have to do a full conversion? By the way, it seems they only post pics of their "Westy" conversion but claim to offer more. I like the idea of their "weekender" layout but, alas, no pics or any indication of how big the bed is. Also to you SMB PH guys, do you need an electric lift or can a person of average strength pop it up? How heavy? 50# 80#? Thanks for any info
Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #16

I'm on the wimpy side and I have no problem lifting the SMB penthouse roof with bed manually. It takes a little getting used to, but once you have the hang of the motion it's not bad. The roof is 300 pounds with nothing packed on top of it. The spring mechanism SMB uses to aid in lifting (manual lift) makes it difficult for me to estimate the forces, but I'd say it's like lifting 40 pounds over my head. It is easier with a partner. Someone on this forum may have a way to measure this and give us some real stats on the lifting force required...
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #17

Thanks Joey. I figured it couldn't be all that difficult. I like to keep things simple and when you start adding electronic gadgets, modifications etc..there is just more to go wrong in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
OK you GTRV owners, you guys are holding out on the big secret. Just how much does one of these things cost? And I am curious as to why GTRV doesn't just post prices on their website like SMB does. Does GTRV install just the PH or do you have to do a full conversion? By the way, it seems they only post pics of their "Westy" conversion but claim to offer more. I like the idea of their "weekender" layout but, alas, no pics or any indication of how big the bed is.
I bought my GTRV used, so I can't say what it cost new back in 2005. I don't know what the current prices are, either, but you could try pinging the contact info on their website. I can't say whether they would install just the top or if you have to do a full conversion. I know some forum members have SMB tops and GTRV interiors - perhaps the reverse is true as well?

I imagine GTRV is like Sportsmobile, in that you have a basic layout price that depends on the floorplan and the top (penthouse or V-top), and then you have the "out-the-door" price with the options that you need or want. The price for wants will always exceed the price for needs.
van2gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #19

OK I heard back from Mike at GTRV in Sebastopol, CA. and he told me that the full "westy" conversion would run in the high 20's range, so I would assume that includes a top. Boy, this freedom of the road deal is awfully expensive
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
OK I heard back from Mike at GTRV in Sebastopol, CA. and he told me that the full "westy" conversion would run in the high 20's range, so I would assume that includes a top. Boy, this freedom of the road deal is awfully expensive
Hey, don't forget another $5-6K for a set of Aluminess bumpers too.

Herb