Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

Pop Up Roof and factory rear air

I can't believe that I'm actually asking this question because I bought my van to haul around my family, our stuff when we go camping, tow our Pop Up trailer, all my daughters and their friends, etc, etc, ect. And I've never really "gotten" the camper van thing. They just seem so small and I'm so tall that it just doesn't add up. I remember the old VW campers and they still seem so small.

However. The thought of having a pop top in a passenger van has caught my imagination. I'm thinking maybe I'd like to build something "convertable" like take out the seats and slide in a "camping module." For when it's just me and one of my kids or just me and my wife.

But I want to know, can you keep the rear factory air and move the celling vents to the sides when you instal a pop up roof? I need rear air.

Also has my idea of the "slide in camping module' been done well?

What do ya'll think? Got any pics?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Pop Up Roof and factory rear air

Quote:
I have no idea if it's been done before but if you're talking about putting everything in a single unit I'd bet you would need a forklift to slide it in and out. The weight, I'm finding out, adds up quickly.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Quote:
I have no idea if it's been done before but if you're talking about putting everything in a single unit I'd bet you would need a forklift to slide it in and out. The weight, I'm finding out, adds up quickly.
No, I was thinking "modules" not a single piece.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Garage

Rear air? What's that?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
But I want to know, can you keep the rear factory air and move the celling vents to the sides when you instal a pop up roof? I need rear air.
Yes, they move the vents to the driver's side rear pillar (at least in the 350). Here are some pics from Meredith's van (she installed a roof fan, but SMB routed it the same way as with a poptop):

viewtopic.php?p=37889#p37889

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
, they move the vents to the driver's side rear pillar (at least in the 350). Here are some pics from Meredith's van (she installed a roof fan, but SMB routed it the same way as with a poptop):

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... 889#p37889

Cheers,
Mike.
Thanks, Mike!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #7

I had this done a couple of month ago at SMB-W. The main plenum is capped and 3 directional vents are placed in the rearmost pillar on the driver's side. Air flows out of the 3 vents quite nicely even at the lowest setting.

Ray
06 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
I had this done a couple of month ago at SMB-W. The main plenum is capped and 3 directional vents are placed in the rearmost pillar on the driver's side. Air flows out of the 3 vents quite nicely even at the lowest setting.

Ray
06 E350 RB
Cool. What did that cost and did a bed come with the top or is it all a la carte?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

The PH top + electric lift + PH bed + capping the rear air + 12ft Thule tracks + three 66in Thule load bars came out to be about $8K. Because I have rear air the capping of it had to be paired with the PH top. Everything else was optional so a la carte. I very much like being able to only add in what I think I needed, SMB-W was most accommodating.

The load bars didn't come with locks but they are easily obtained. I have an 8ft long cargo box on the passenger side and eventually I'll get an 8ft roof basket for the driver's side. Storage is always a consideration so we keep our camping chairs and sleeping bags up in the cargo box.

As others have already mentioned, get the electric lift. It is not something that is easily retro'ed. I didn't want to initially but decided about 2 weeks before I was scheduled to go in. It takes about a day longer to install so I booked a room at the nearby Holiday Inn Express about 5miles away.

We got the 'standard' length PH bed. SMB-W would be more than happy to make a custom length if you'd like. I have an RB, I would've gotten a longer bed if I had an EB.

Ray
06 E350 RB
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #10

I forgot to mention that I got the standard white top. My van is Ford silver so it pairs up nicely. You can have it painted to match your van's body color but that was extra. Just keep the top clean and waxed and it should stay shiny for awhile. When I'm not driving it I cover just the top and when I drive it to work I park it near the tall trees to better get the early afternoon shading.

Ray
06 E350 RB