Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #121

Re: Popping my top

A few more pics.....

Bought the 5 gallon propane tank from GoWesty (thanks for the info Rockbender!). I'm presently fabricating a simple up-down mount for this which may or may not work out. I've also got a Propex 2211 heater on order.

...Also started roughing in the cabinet behind the driver's seat that will contain the fridge, microwave, and possibly a small sink. A Truckfridge TF49 AC/DC unit is on order.

...And finally, we whipped up some reflectix window covers for insulation just before the Anza Borrego trip. We used closeout headliner material contact cemented to the reflectix on both sides. It worked very well. I don't have hard numbers, but on New Year's morning at was high 20's outside, and the van interior was bearable. We had frost on the outside of the windows when we removed the inserts as well. One 24" roll of reflectix was enough to cover all of the windows in our passenger (window) van except the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
reflectix.jpg   fridge cabinet.jpg   propane tank.jpg  

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #122
Site Team

Make sure you allow enough room for your driver's seat to push back a little beyond it's normal position and enough room for it to recline a little more than its normal position before you secure that cabinet right behind it.

Herb
Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
...And finally, we whipped up some reflectix window covers for insulation just before the Anza Borrego trip. We used closeout headliner material contact cemented to the reflectix on both sides.
Hi boywonder. I'd love to hear/see more details on your window coverings. I currently have bare reflectix cutouts for all my windows, but they're getting beat up. Looking to do something to make them more durable and look better. Did you do anything special on the edges or just what you show in the pic?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
...And finally, we whipped up some reflectix window covers for insulation just before the Anza Borrego trip. We used closeout headliner material contact cemented to the reflectix on both sides.
Hi boywonder. I'd love to hear/see more details on your window coverings. I currently have bare reflectix cutouts for all my windows, but they're getting beat up. Looking to do something to make them more durable and look better. Did you do anything special on the edges or just what you show in the pic?

Thanks,
Brent
Yeah, what he said! ???

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #125

The plan is to trim them with webbing or cotton binding. Our first attempt with your basic Singer sewing machine was an epic fail......
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Make sure you allow enough room for your driver's seat to push back a little beyond it's normal position and enough room for it to recline a little more than its normal position before you secure that cabinet right behind it.

Herb

Herb: The cabinet is purposely slightly oversize. It's only screwed together, no glue (yet). It will be tuned in once I get the fridge. (the neighbor just emailed saying that there was a big box on my steps, wonder what that is?.... )
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #127

Garage

Quote:
...And finally, we whipped up some reflectix window covers for insulation just before the Anza Borrego trip. We used closeout headliner material contact cemented to the reflectix on both sides. It worked very well. I don't have hard numbers, but on New Year's morning at was high 20's outside, and the van interior was bearable. We had frost on the outside of the windows when we removed the inserts as well. One 24" roll of reflectix was enough to cover all of the windows in our passenger (window) van except the windshield.
^^^ thats a great idea! i wonder if not being exposed to direct sunlight would keep the reflectix from shrinking? the piece i made for our windshield has shrank a good 2" side to side since I made it.

im also surprised one roll did all the windows in a passenger. one roll was exactly enough to do our cargo with just a big enough piece left over for a 44.1/4"x22" crl window (when it shows up, lol).

you do good work mr wonder. love seeing your updates
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #128
Site Team

Quote:
The plan is to trim them with webbing or cotton binding. Our first attempt with your basic Singer sewing machine was an epic fail......
Maybe more lower-class, but when I made my PH insulation (different material than the bubble wrap) I covered the edges with white duct tape. The tape I used was a little more vinyl-like than a standard grey duct tape. Not glamorous by any means, but quick, easy and functional.

Herb
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
the piece i made for our windshield has shrank a good 2" side to side since I made it.

im also surprised one roll did all the windows in a passenger. one roll was exactly enough to do our cargo with just a big enough piece left over for a 44.1/4"x22" crl window (when it shows up, lol).

you do good work mr wonder. love seeing your updates
Wow, 2"????? yikes.....That's more shrinkage than jumping naked into a cold swimming pool in March.....

These are quite thick (and warm/toasty) especially when stacked up and not in use. I was thinking that these could be the cold weather version and perhaps build another set that does not have the foam backing on the fabric. It seems that most of these headliner type materials are also available without the foam backing.

I almost used a really cool dark grey ultrasuede material, but it was $27/yd. The black headliner that we used was $7/yard (54" wide roll)....and used 7 1/2 yards to do both faces of the reflectix.

.....Thanks shenrie!.. I haven't posted any pics of the large stack of mulligans (firewood) in my garage...........you guys just see the finished product.
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #130

Garage

^^^ gotta give credit where its due brotha

also, dont worry, i got a bunch of first tries stacked up too, lol. thats what happens when you figure this stuff out on your own.

oh, and that was a womans 2", not a mans

and to be fair, our windshield piece spends a LOT of time in place. so its exposed to direct sunlight most every day (van is parked facing south when at home ). we have at least a solid month of 100+ degree temps here in august and sept. so a little shrinkage isnt a big deal in the big picture. it just surprised me that this stuff actually shrank. ive also noticed some of the "chrome" is wearing off on the windshield piece. your headliner idea would stop that from happening too. i will likely be stealing this idea eventually for at least the piece we use up front.

i havent got enough done with our van to be able to tell how well the reflectix works officially with numbers, but there is a significant difference when all of it is in place and its hot out. once we have more completed inside, ill start logging data on temps with the handy dandy laser heat scanner gun i picked up.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote