Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #181

Re: Popping my top

Very Impressive build. In all aspects.

If you don't mind a few questions:
1. What is the name of the upholstery shop that you used to the cushion covers? Would you recommend them?

2. I love the look of the deco-dot on the cabinets. Would you consider this a flooring material or a very heavy grade upholstery material? I would most likely use it for covering cabinets (like you did) and other pretty high wear areas, but not the floor

3. Do you mind sharing the name of the local foam supplier?

We down in San Diego, but I'd drive to use places that someone has experience with vs. trying ranom people here.

Thanks, Dave

Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefin
Very Impressive build. In all aspects.

If you don't mind a few questions:
1. What is the name of the upholstery shop that you used to the cushion covers? Would you recommend them?

2. I love the look of the deco-dot on the cabinets. Would you consider this a flooring material or a very heavy grade upholstery material? I would most likely use it for covering cabinets (like you did) and other pretty high wear areas, but not the floor

3. Do you mind sharing the name of the local foam supplier?

We down in San Diego, but I'd drive to use places that someone has experience with vs. trying ranom people here.

Thanks, Dave

1. Gil's Auto Upholstery on East 1st St in Santa Ana. PM me and I'll send you his phone number. He did a fine job, although I'm sure there are other capable folks around as well. I bought all of the materials except for the thread (I did specify the thread color).

2. You've got it exactly, heavy grade upholstery, a bit light for flooring.......a few of my floor dots have been scraped off. It's slightly rough on the knees when kneeling down on it.

3. The foam was purchased at A1 Foam and Fabric on Main St. Santa Ana. They also have lots of auto upholstery supplies like the burgundy "pleather", headliner material, fuzzy trunk liner fabric, spray headliner contact cement, brush on high temp contact cement (labeled landau top adhesive in blue/white cans), zippers, the end is listless.

The cushions are 4" thick; 3" of Q41 foam with one inch of Q31 glued on top. They are slightly on the firm side.....2" of each foam may be a good choice as well, or 3" of Q31 with 1" Q21 etc. The Q series is the highest quality foam that A1 sells.

A1 has refrigerator-sized foam chunks and they can custom make foam sandwiches of practically any size while you wait.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDan
Great work on the cabinets BoyWonder.

How did you anchor them to the floor? Did you anchor it to the wall through the plastic panel?

Everything is screwed to the floor with modern square drive screws. No L brackets and nothing attached to the plastic.

Is your whole sub floor glued down? Any bolts or screws? Just curious because I want to minimize penetrations on the floor for rust issues.
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #184

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Great work on the cabinets BoyWonder.

How did you anchor them to the floor? Did you anchor it to the wall through the plastic panel?

Everything is screwed to the floor with modern square drive screws. No L brackets and nothing attached to the plastic.

Is your whole sub floor glued down? Any bolts or screws? Just curious because I want to minimize penetrations on the floor for rust issues.

The only new penetrations through the metal van floor is a hole for the sink drain, and holes for the +/- house battery cables. I will be making either a couple of large holes or three small holes when I install my Propex heater depending upon whether it ends up outside or inside.

The plywood floor is fastened to the van in about 6 somewhat random places mostly using the holes from the passenger seats. Keep in mind that the floor is such a snug fit its not going anywhere. The unused passenger seat holes have been filled with RTV covered set screws as shown earlier in this thread.
2003 Honda Element
Old 05-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #185

Thanks for all the info.
I sent a PM.
I am about to order a bunch of ultraleather fabric for cushions and probably the factory sprinter seats.
Thanks, Dave
Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #186

Dave: I just responded to your PM.
2003 Honda Element
Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #187

Got the Pm and I thank you very much!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #188

...a little more progress on the door storage....

2003 Honda Element
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #189

Since I usually have about 5 sub-projects running simultaneously, here is the progress on the propane tank mount.

The idea is to have jack screws that will allow the tank to move up and down around 3"-5" or so. There are two different length shoulder screws on the assembly since that's what I had laying around.

So, tank is in the up position when driving and parked in my driveway for neighborhood stealth and in the down position when camping.

The area under the body on the driver's side is very narrow due to the rear heat/air lines running to the back of the van; the passenger side is wider, but less obvious where the tank would mount.

If this idea does not work out, I can just use the same hardware to mount the tank in a fixed position...still thinking....

2003 Honda Element
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #190

Garage

dude, thats slick. your a smart cookie boywonder! great idea!!

im in the same spot, but my tank is 7g. still havnet figured out if im going to reroute lines to make it fit, or leave them be and use a smaller tank. if the lines wernt there, fitting my 7g tank in that spot would be no problem at all
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote