Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #1

project build, 1999 ford e350 extended van with 7.3 powerstroke and only 50k miles

I decided to move this thread here so those of you interested can follow my build..Ok, I was on the fence about building this van, its not exactly what I was looking for but the engine, price and the miles were right! For those of you that didn't read my first thread in the for sale section I original posted this for sale. I had hoped that I would get an offer that I couldn't refuse. Say 14k and I'd walk away.. that didn't happen on here.. I could have listed it on craig's list again but I was only half hearted about selling..
A little while back I found this van on craig's, it was originally purchased locally by a electronics company for shuttling employees and equipment around the bay area. Story I was told was a disgruntled employee stole the keys one day and quit, So, it sat parked in the back lot for nine years without any use hence the low mileage. It was hard to believe but with new batteries and fresh fuel a $20 ignition lock cylinder, some air in the tires it drove home. The interior shows pretty perfect. Its a 14 passenger model, the original rear seat was removed never to be recovered by me, I assume to haul parts and such. The exterior is/was a little rough in my standards, a few door dings, mostly surface rust around the drip rail and some parking lot gouges made it appear a little rough. The tires were sun damaged the windscreen was cracked, rear bumper bashed. But underneath it was a like new 7.3 e-350 van with only 50k miles!! After getting it home and going around it with a fine tooth comb, Its potential outshined its neglect and I started working on it.
My plans are to fix all the body cosmetics, paint it and then start a 4x4 conversion, interior dry camping set up and make it my pride and joy. Originally I was in search of an affordable sprinter van to convert, doing my diesel van search everyday when this popped up.
My budget is 30k all in... can I do it??

In order to drive it and shake down the bugs from sitting I decided to just start with the basics.
Week 1
All fluids and filters $300
Matching new locks and ign cylinder e-bay 119.00 ford oem
Replaced the tires 245 75/16 cooper at $650
new brakes front and rear , (sticky calipers) $300
new windscreen $250
new rear bumper $150
new side door (bad dent) $200

This weekends efforts:
My first big labor intensive project is to address the worst rust spot above the drip rail cut it out and replace the damaged portion.. luckily it was just one area .. Grind out all the seam sealer all the way around the roof and treat the other surface rust to prevent further damage.. I'd be done today but rain stopped me from completing this. $200 materials

Wed it goes to the body shop for a complete repaint and all dings to be addressed.
After that the 4x4 conversion starts! yea!

rust repair day one

VanDude72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #2

pics

here are the rust repair pics from Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180226_170907.jpg   IMG_20180308_174615.jpg   IMG_20180308_174644.jpg   IMG_20180309_135556.jpg   IMG_20180309_153632.jpg  

IMG_20180309_162631.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #3

Nice job on the rust. Did you use a piece of sheet metal? How did you form it? Did you weld it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDude72 View Post
Matching new locks and ign cylinder e-bay 119.00 ford oem
Do you have a link to these?
SteelheadJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post

Do you have a link to these?
I've used these guys with great success---claim to be the same manufacturer Ford uses OEM: Rocket Keys Locks Remotes | eBay Stores

If that link doesn't work look for seller "rocket-keys" in eBay's member search.

They're good quality, seller is willing to work with you if their standard offerings don't exactly suit your needs.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

Awesome, thanks JWA.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

I cut out a section of the door I replaced, I rolled it in a sheet metal break 1/8 at a time to get the radius and the right angle to set into the drip rail. It was welded in place slowly one spotweld at a time to prevent warping. Only a thin coat of Bondo needed!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Skillz. And toolz. Wish I had em!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 PM   #8

Thank you! It's been a long time since I polished my bodywork skills, I sometimes even impress myself!

Today, more rain.. no body work, but managed to remove the drive shaft and replace the u-joints with grease-able spicer joints.. I was hearing a tink in the drive train under heavy load taking off from a light.. checked motor mount was good, maybe just front springs or the sway bar bushings but thought i'd check the u-joints too. Once removed, although they felt good but I was not satisfied and no way to grease them I decided for $26.00 each to just press in new ones with a zirk.. hopefully the tink noise will be gone tomorrow if I can re-install and test drive..
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDude72 View Post
Thank you! It's been a long time since I polished my bodywork skills, I sometimes even impress myself!

Today, more rain.. no body work, but managed to remove the drive shaft and replace the u-joints with grease-able spicer joints.. I was hearing a tink in the drive train under heavy load taking off from a light.. checked motor mount was good, maybe just front springs or the sway bar bushings but thought i'd check the u-joints too. Once removed, although they felt good but I was not satisfied and no way to grease them I decided for $26.00 each to just press in new ones with a zirk.. hopefully the tink noise will be gone tomorrow if I can re-install and test drive..
Not to derail your great thread but Spicer makes and pretty much recommends using their non-greasable u-joints---I was shocked at first too.

Seems they believe their solid permanently lubricated versions tend to be stronger which does make sense in its own way. Of course in almost 50 years of driving various beat-to-hell POS vehicles I've never broken a u-joint. A few have lost bearings and darn near fallen out but never had one actually break.

Of course any brand other than Spicer wouldn't be my first choice anyway.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #10

Garage
Subscribed. Nice work on the repair.