Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #11

The missing pictures are painful, and it's only been a few days! Can you use the forum gallery for people in the future? (next Tuesday like....)

Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

"I'm taking my net and not coming back." Old street hockey line when the net owner got mad about something and marched off in a huff.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Lost, I'm sorry you feel like you don't belong. I really wanted to see pictures of your van- that's what the site is really about: vans. Your van, my van, random vans, people without vans, all have always been welcome (well, all that aren't rude to begin with).

To be extra clear the site has never been associated with Sportsmobile the company in any way shape or form- it's kind of a misnomer, like some regions in the U.S. call any form of soda "Coke". (no really it used to be van4um.com too but nobody used that url)

But anyway, good luck with your new community- I'm very interested in the Transits personally, I'd really appreciate a link. You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

One more thing: have you contacted Colorado Camper Vans? Derrek seems like he'll tackle any challenge and has done many, many things that Sportsmobile wouldn't or couldn't.

Good luck... and I still would really like to see your Transit!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
"I'm taking my net and not coming back."
Down south we say "I'm taking my ball and going home." then again we don't hockey...
Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
I really wanted to see pictures of your van- that's what the site is really about: vans. Your van, my van, random vans, people without vans
OK..I'm in...let's see pictures of people without vans......
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #16

I have a feeling the Ford escape struts might do what you want. An Escape is just a lifted C-Max (actually shares the same body if you look close) which is just a tall Focus wagon. A Transit Connect is just a tall square Focus wagon.

I'm not sure about the rear though. That would probably require some new brackets and taller springs to drop the twist beam away from the chassis.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Where I come from, we just say "Go Home!" in situations like this.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #18

No clue what this leaving the site nonsense is. People here really don't care who you are or what you drive. If your idea of converting a van is going to walmart buying stuff and putting it in a minivan and saying you "campervan", like so many youtube videos, ok no one is interested. But if you want to build a bed, work out electrical system, a cooking system, bath, sink,... I don't know of any better resource of friendly fun people than here.

As for not having an SMB? Whatever. SMB does awesome work, I don't think there is anyone better out there. I can tell you SMB will not be doing much of anything for a Transit Connect. It has too little space and ground clearance for their clients. With their current model line they are a year backlogged (last I check summer 2015). If you want an upfitter I'd check with Recon. They are new but seems like they want to get in the small rig game. GTRV might have something to offer as well. Both company owners are super friendly.

SMB owners? I'd say 75% of them want to screw with there stuff the minute they get it. SMB owners tend to be attracted to the custom nature of the builds so they are always interested in what someone is doing to a van.

As to raising it 2". I'd check with coilsprings.com they seem the best game in town for this sport of thing. As for drive train and handling potential issues? This seems the big question to me. I'd recommend seeing if you can find a mobility (wheelchair) van upfitter. They normally raise vehicles a few inches so they can drop floors lower to make the cab taller. This might not be needed on a Connect? I think mobility vans need around 48" for the wheelchair space.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #19

What just happened?
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #20

I think the biggest hurdle was maintaining the "lifetime" factory warranty (thought Lost stated something about that) in the face of all the mods he/she wanted to do. Lost seemed unappreciative of Ford's lack of interest/support.

SierraClimber - I could not agree more about the make up the people on this forum. This is a very open, accepting, interested group. BUT it is also a very perceptive group and will call BS on the way Lost introduced him/herself pretty quickly.

It is a bit of loss all round as Lost would have tapped into a wonderfully creative and giving resource and camping solutions to fit in a micro might have interesting applications in full size vans.

Thankfully the forum continues!! Thank you to all who contribute and support!