Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #21

I have the GoWesty 4.6 gal 8" tank and mounted it under the barn doors.....I found the fit kinda tight on the driver's side with rear air, and the E-brake cable......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #22

Does the tank have mounting brackets permanently attached? If so I would mount it to the frame despite having to work with the fuel tank. I would prefer if it was my vehicle to have it mounted as firmly and solid as possible.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #23

The tank has welded ears on each end, each with two mounting holes.

I fabricated a mount, that mount is bolted hard to the frame and bolted with rubber isolators to the body...to the sheet metal under the barn door plastic step trim. Has not been a problem for a couple years and 20K miles+.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #24

I also went the Go Westy route and will likely mount it in the rear center between the frame rails. I also will be doing a remote fill hose setup.
Larger Capacity LP Tank w/Level Indicator | GoWesty
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg   large_a2d4fe79b60adee0f378eb7d7781397a.jpg  
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #25

Garage
The photos below show the LP tank mounting system used in my Roadtrek, as set up by the manufacturer.

The four mounting holes were drilled through the van's floor, under the driver's seat. The mounting bolts were backed by large square washers/backing plates. The bolts dropped through the backing plates and threaded into nuts that were welded into the hanger by Manchester Tank, the manufacturer.

I'm including a shot of the old tank I pulled out, as well as the new one I replaced it with.
Attached Thumbnails
2015-08-12 19.38.04.jpg   2015-11-06 19.33.49.jpg   2015-08-11 22.15.35.jpg  
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #26

The only place I have left to install the propane tank is on the drivers side. The passenger side is where the house batteries sit. Yes it will be a tight fit.

I like the look of the Roadtrek mounting system for the tank. Is there a link to it that you can share?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #27

Garage
Propane mount question

This is in response to larrie post #20.
What thickness of sheet metal would you be tapping into?
As far as getting to the back of of holes in the frame; The two times I have installed an after market trailer hitch I have used the spring wires supplied by the manufacturer to pull bolts into the holes in the frame. Torklift calls this piece of wire a "Bolt fisher".

x7203 & x7204 Subaru XV Crosstrek.pdf
Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
This is in response to larrie post #20.
What thickness of sheet metal would you be tapping into?
As far as getting to the back of of holes in the frame; The two times I have installed an after market trailer hitch I have used the spring wires supplied by the manufacturer to pull bolts into the holes in the frame. Torklift calls this piece of wire a "Bolt fisher".
The angle braces that support the floor are 5.4 mm or about 5 gage. These would be drilled, a 1/16” thick backing plate laid on top with bolt through the assembly to hold the tank support.

I was also thinking it might be possible to tap the frame as it is about 1/4” thick. This would allow the bolts to be attached from the outside.

I like the bolt fisher idea. Just need to make sure the bolts can pass between the tank and brake lines.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post

I like the look of the Roadtrek mounting system for the tank. Is there a link to it that you can share?
Roadtrek does not publish any information about their systems at all, so I don't have any links from them for you. I can send you the Manchester part number for that tank, but it is specifically designed to mount up to a 1990's Dodge, so I don't think it will help you. However, you should be able to fab up a similar mounting system that would bolt to the tank you were looking at. In any event, if there is something else you want to know, I'll do my best to answer your questions and send you additional photos, if they are helpful.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote