Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

Re: Propex HS2000 getting error 5

Since we made the interior improvements I have only tested it down to 20 or so and it stayed warm. I have the 2800. I am still only half insulated at this point. Hope to finish up in the next few months.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyc221
Can I ask why you recommend the larger one? Dose yours have trouble keeping the van warm? can you give me some insight into how your van is insulated? and do you have a pop top or a fixed top? Any idea what the coldest night you used it was and how warm it kept the van? Thanks for all the info it's hard to decide what heater is going to work best especially when there are so many variables between each users van.
Well it was pretty cold up on Rabbit ears somewhere around -10F(below). Yes I have a hard top and it is insulated along with the walls and floor. The cab area floor still has the factory sound matting but have not insulated it. The heater did a great job for the temp outside but was a bit on the cool side for me and ran non stop. I have a small electric heater we plugged into the generator and that along with the Propex made it comfortable. The other thing that makes it much warmer is hanging a thick comforter from the storage above the cab down behind the front seats to the floor.

If I had it to do over I would install the larger 9000btu, rather have to much heat then not enough.
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Thanks a lot for posting this! We leave our van parked outside at home and we do have spiders as well as hornets. It seems like some preventive inspection/cleaning would be appropriate.

If I recall the heater had warning labels saying DON'T OPEN but I've never paid any attention to those.
Ya when I had the motorhome is was common to find spiders or Yellow Jackets in the hot water or furnace vents and they were easy to clean out. I tried to blow the air from my compresor up thru the intake and exhaust on the Propex but I guess that little guy was hidden in there pretty good. I know I didn't want to open it up with it being under warranty. After I get it back in and it's working again ill come up with some sort of screen or rubber cap(maybe a chair leg rubber foot)to keep the critters out.

I've been thinking about maybe getting a Olympic catalytic heater as backup or additional heat if needed. Anyone using one that can comment on its safety?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #14

Ok the Propex is back in the van and the tubes secured under the floor and its working perfectly. Karl cleaned out a spider web from the airflow sensor. Will try to cover the tubes with screens to keep the critters out.