Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Purchasing Advise, 95 E350 Passenger 7.3 PSD

I need some advice on buying van I am looking at.

This would be my first diesel

It is a 95 E350 RB 12 Passenger with a 7.3TD

Seller states it has 215,000 miles, local ford dealer rebuilt engine and transmission and replaced turbo about 8k miles ago.

No accidents, no leaks, good front and rear AC, new tires, new heater coil, new brakes, tow package, pretty clean interior with captain chairs and rear bench that folds into a bed.

I have not seen the receipts yet but he has them for all work done with dealer. I am in Fresno and the van is in Los Angeles. I have been reading for days about the PSD's and finding a passenger van with one is pretty difficult.

Asking $4200

I will be doing a 4x4 conversion and be towing a 30 foot light weight trailer, possibly a Sportsmobile Camper top, small galley, etc. BioDiesel VeggieStroke are all possible with this.

I have done plenty of engine swaps, lifts, major mechanical on all my older cars so I am pretty good with a wrench but a diesels are all new to me
Trying to get as much info as I can before I drive down there. I don't want to make the drive for nothing

Any advise is appreciated,

Luke

Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Re: Purchasing Advise, 95 E350 Passenger 7.3 PSD

Verify with SMB that they will do a top that old... I can't remember when the vans body change was, but you don't want to come back with the van only to have them unable to convert it.

The better 7.3 Diesels were produced after 1999½ ... I can't remember what the issues or improvements were, but with a 95 you would be well before the change.

I'd see if he will fax/email or send copies of the receipts. It's not an unreasonable request, and you don't want to get down there and find out that he misplaced them... Alternatively get the VIN and invest in Carfax... the rebuild and turbo should show up since they are dealer service (not that I've ever bought a Carfax...)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Verify with SMB that they will do a top that old... I can't remember when the vans body change was, but you don't want to come back with the van only to have them unable to convert it.

The better 7.3 Diesels were produced after 1999½ ... I can't remember what the issues or improvements were, but with a 95 you would be well before the change.

I'd see if he will fax/email or send copies of the receipts. It's not an unreasonable request, and you don't want to get down there and find out that he misplaced them... Alternatively get the VIN and invest in Carfax... the rebuild and turbo should show up since they are dealer service (not that I've ever bought a Carfax...)

Jage,

Thanks for the VIN advise, I have e-mailed him. I also heard another ford dealer can look it up if I give them the VIN.

I e-mailed Jonathan at SMB West and he said he would do a PHT in the 95 RB

I haven't found alot about the issues or improvements on the 7.3 either, I have signed up and searched for days on powstroke.org and fordforum.com, seems like a good engine if taken care of.

Thanks for advise

Luke
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

I would wait. I have been looking around for the last couple months(I dont know why) and have seen the newer years available. I have been seeing 2000-03 asking around 6-8,000. I would get a newer year for the improved engine and the improved brakes/ rear end, also newer electronics. If your going to build I would start with the best base I could get(within reasonable price).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

Dad, are the ones you're looking at empty cargo vans or passenger vans (which I assume have seats all the way back)?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

I have seen all in one way or another. Most are cargo, but I do see passenger as well. Only he knows what he wants as a final product, so I dont know what the best choice for him would be. If he is going to tow I would suggest 4 wheel disc. That will be on the later years. He could always just pay to upgrade what is there, but why not get more for that same money?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #7

I would say that it's fairly safe, especially if he can provide paperwork for all of the maintenance & work completed. The older 7.3's are great engines, simple & durable.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #8

I agree with Chris, the 7.3 we great engines and can really go the distance!

I would just make sure you have a good idea of your budget for your project, then I would double it, because that's will be closer to what it will end up coming in around.

I would go ahead and jump in, these van are get and for us it has been a ton of fun building ours and we have meet so many great people along the way and received a ton help as well.

Good Luck!
I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote