Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #21

Re: Q Van Build Up

Watch out when you cluster shop. Some of them have blue background lighting instead of green! Found that the hard way when I picked one up to do the swap...

Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #22

Garage

^^^ is there a way to tell the difference? not that I would mind the blue...

also, can i use a manual cluster and just take the gear selector from my cluster or is there other differences?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

also, can i use a manual cluster and just take the gear selector from my cluster or is there other differences?
Peer through one of the empty bulb sockets while holding the cluster up in the air. You should be able to see the light filter doing this.

I don't think you can swap the M/T and A/T clusters, but i haven't looked at them close enough to be sure. You could just leave the M/T cluster as-is and add a digital indicator:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat401.htm
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #24

Q Van Build Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

My cluster was actually from a manual transmission vehicle. Right where the gear indicator is, it just had a simple block-off plate that snapped in just like the indicator does. You simply squeeze a little clamp (just like an electrical connector) and that blank plate slides out and your indicator slides right in!

Also, I wasn't aware of the different backlight colors. Good info there.

Mine happens to be green just like the OEM cluster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #25

Garage

thanks so much for all the info guys!!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #26

Got to try out those tow mirrors today. Took a friend's jeep to do some wheeling in the mountains.
The van pulled great. I love having all that pulling power...
Leaving the park involves a long steep climb up a windy road, and I had no problems at all accelerating quickly up the mountain. I really like that the torque converter locks in 2nd gear on hard climbs. And I actually got to hear the engine fan kick in for a while. I don't have any aftermarket gauges, but I'm all stock, so I don't think that I was pushing the EGTs or anything. I'll be getting some gauges soon, though!

Here are a couple pics:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #27

Been doing some work on the van here and there. Will hit it hard this fall though...

I added one of the Blue-Sea dual USB ports in the center console. I had one of these in the cruiser, and loved it. Has a high current output, so it will charge a Ipad 3 AND a phone at the same time.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-...s=blue+sea+usb

Also picked up a couple of the Quick-Fist mini clamps to mount on the center console. These are great for my LED flashlights.

Got the front two windows tinted to match the rears. Much better on sunny days.

Installed some 35s on 18" wheels that I had laying around. Trimmed rear portion of the front fenders to accommodate.

Ordered some 6000lb front springs to replace my 4600lb springs. They should be here on Monday, and I'll let everyone know how they work out!

Here is a link to the springs:

http://www.stengelbros.net/350-1200SD_p_42.html

I actually didn't purchase them from that site, but rather a SDTruckSprings site. I do NOT advise anyone to do business with SDTruckSprings.com....

Went out yesterday evening to grab some pics for some designs that I'm currently working on:

Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #28

List of projects for this fall:

Install the Dana 80 rear end.

Push front axle forward.

Install fender flares.

Build front bumper.

Build roof rack - Short 80" model in case I decide to go with a Pop-Top conversion.

Big Brake Upgrade - Will require 20" wheels, may go 37s at that time. More of a winter project.

Here are some pics of the rough bumper design and roof rack design:

The rack uses 6" LED bars on the sides and 12" LED bars on the rear. If I decide to go with a SMB Pop-Top, I'll just build some new mounts for it and mount it to the top.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #29

nice cad work!!
bill1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Very nice CAD work indeed----gives a preview before ordering a spendy add-on!

Backing up a bit to the tow mirrors---those can be a bear to install on the '02 and earlier year doors. Added that same four bolt mirror base to a '97 and honestly it would have been easier to just get '03 or later doors.

Now that I'm driving an '03 E250 with those horrible dual element worthless mirrors I've modified them for the '07-08 configuration where there is just one mirror element, effect being similar to the pedestal type running from '97>02. Somewhat easy for me since I'm in the auto glass biz anyway.

I'm another VERY interested in the F-Series cluster swap into an E-Series mostly to add the tach. Sent a PM, maybe this subject could be a whole thread one day, for the adventurous among us!

Great progress so far---very impressed with Quigley's support even though you're not the original owner--pretty amazing customer service I'd say!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote