Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #31

Re: Q Van Build Up

Thanks! CAD work and fabrication is part of my day job, so naturally it transitions to my vehicle projects. Fun stuff.

As for the Cluster swap, I'll put together some more details on it, but it really wasn't that hard, just set aside a few hours where you won't be bothered or pressured to get it done. It's just kinda tedious dealing with all of the wiring.

Ideally you'll find a cluster from a 99-2000 f series that looks just like mine. I think in 2001 or 2002 they went to the digital odometer in the f series, so you can't use that one.

I'll update again later on.

Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #32

Haven't updated lately, but I've been pretty busy. Here is a list of things that I've done in the past few days:

Oil change
Installed 6000lb coil springs
Installed Marinco plug for block heater
Installed 4" turbo-back exhaust
Installed new headlights/corner lights for 2006 model

Spring review:

A great upgrade for my van. Gave me an inch of lift, which leveled it out nicely. The ride is much improved! The front now rides like the rear; firmer, but more settled controlled.
I need to fab up a small sway bar drop bracket set for the front. I also plan to get a set of those Fox shocks that Baja is selling now that my springs are installed and I can take the measurements. Here are a couple pics of the new springs:

You can see how much room I have under the bumpstop now.

Exhaust review:

Fit was OK. The 4" downpipe cleared everything good, but wanted to point toward the frame rail at the end. The rest of the exhaust pulled it back over, but I really need to take it to a shop and have them make a cut in the downpipe to relieve the tension and then reweld it. I went with the Diamond Eye brand, with straight pipe. Sounds really good, and gave a good bump in performance. The turbo lights earlier in the powerband, and pulls harder up top.

In this pic you can see the exhaust. I'm waiting on my 5" tip to arrive, and I'll trim back the exhaust and install the tip.

Headlight/Marker light review:

Vision brand from ebay. Fit well, and the light output is much better than my old yellowed stock headlights... I really like the way that the newer style marker lamps look, so I went with the kit for a 2006 model. Everything fits the same, just looks better in my opinion.

Marinco Mod:

You can find lots of details about this on the powerstroke forums, but its basically just a plug that I bought off of Amazon and installed in the grill area. Just cut the plug off of your block heater, and wire into the Marinco plug. Easy, cheap and clean.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #33

Here are some more pics that I snapped this evening. The K5 belongs to my younger brother who is currently stationed in South Korea. I'm going to toss a 4" lift and some nice wheels/tires on it while he's gone. It's also going to get a new paint job!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #34

Had an investment opportunity come up today... Decided to put the van up for sale. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11718