Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

Quadvan Upgrades/Modifications etc....

The last couple weeks has been full of projects on the van some intended and some not....

Front brake line came off couple weeks ago and lost all brakes. No one in San Diego had the parts to replace or fix the issue. Fortunately BajaSportsMobile (Ramsey) lives here in SD and what able to help. I had my van flatbed towed to his house and he was able to get it up and running the next day with Stainless Steel lines on both sides.

We have been chatting for awhile about the limited up travel I have and what to do about it. Last Friday we (Mostly he) pulled the front end apart and checked all the travel adjustments off everything under the front end. We picked up two sets of new springs. One that had a 2.5" increase in ride height and another with 1". I really liked the 2.5" spring from a look and feel standpoint but it would have required a ton of modification to make them work. We decided on the 1" increase spring which gives me a total of 3" up travel now. I am not bottoming out like I was before. I have a couple GoPro videos of the wheel travel I will try to post up soon. We also made a trip to Fox Shocks to measure the spring rates on my stock Quadvan Springs for reference. Turns out we have the same contact there. Small world.

We also pulled the front sway bar. It was binding to begin with and even more so with the increased lift.

I have also had a driveline vibration issues since installing the Deaver's rear spring pack in. Ramsey and Glen reversed and adjusted the rear shims to alter the driveline angles which did not help so they suggested having the driveshaft removed and balanced. Sure enough that fixed 90% of the issue. They stated it was slightly bent. I can not drive over 65mph without the van falling apart.

My AC system went completely out as I was driving away from the shop from working on the springs. $1200.00 later the whole system was replaced.

Lots of things happening with the van in the last two weeks. Good times.

I can't thank Ramsey enough for his help on all these issues!! I am sure he would be happy to answer any of the tech questions if you have any. I was mostly an observer through this whole process so my stats could be way off.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #2

Re: Quadvan Upgrades/Modifications etc....

Was your van a 2" or 4" conversion from QuadVan?

I'm surprised to see that sway bar under there. I thought they used end-links?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

It started as a 2" inch and I had them convert to a 4" before I picked it up.

From what Ramsey said the sway bar was really binding up the suspension and even more so with the extra lift. Thinking about leaving it out completely and removing the rear too. Or making a block to drop it to the correct height. Still up in the air on them.

They don't seem to make a difference the way I drive which is sloowwww.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

Loving the quality photos! Is the bottoming out common on a Quadvans?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
It started as a 2" inch and I had them convert to a 4" before I picked it up.

From what Ramsey said the sway bar was really binding up the suspension and even more so with the extra lift. Thinking about leaving it out completely and removing the rear too. Or making a block to drop it to the correct height. Still up in the air on them.

They don't seem to make a difference the way I drive which is sloowwww.
I wonder it the 2" start is what got you that sway bar. It looks like your axle also has provisions for the '08+ end-link style sway bar. That one won't bind, and then you can add some disconnects easily.

Any idea how much weight you've added to the front axle since the 4x4 conversion? Your springs look like the 3500# springs. Are the new springs Ford or something aftermarket?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

Great info on the sway bar. I'll check into that. I would like to have disconnects at the front. The rear had them but they made so much noise at the connection points that I welded them together.

I'll ask Ramsey on the springs as he ordered them. I don't think they were Ford.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The original springs were Ford, they had a Free Length of 16 inches and a Spring Rate of 575 lbs. The replacement springs were Moog CC880S with a Free Length of 16.60 inches and Spring Rate of 652 lbs. The new springs are progressive wound so it is not a direct comparison to the original springs. We picked up 1.25 inches which really isn't visually noticeable but increased the bump travel almost 100%.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Those are the springs I put on. Also came out to be a 1.5" lift for me. I ended up adding some coil-rite airbags because if I have the roof rack loaded and no trailer, I would still be bouncing off the bump stops when off-pavement. The coil-rites added just enough spring rate to keep the ride nice. And they really help when I've got the dirt bike on the front.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

shout out to Baja for being a great forum member and helping you out.

Way to go... I always like reading how everyone is so helpful....makes it worth having an SMB just to know when it trouble you can call on the troops.......

Now get out and take more pics for all of us!!!!
(lol)
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #10

Quadvan Upgrades/Modifications etc....

Baja is the man. Helped identify issues with my suspension as well. My Quigley isn't fun around town.

Looking forward to getting it sorted
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote