Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

Question about installing wood trim, etc. to interior roof

We may have decided on a 4x4 Ford E350 EB to purchase for a custom build and are starting to wonder how we are going to bring some of our ideas to life. So...

If I were to remove the factory installed headliner, what would I find underneath it? Is there plywood or something that runs along the entire roof which I can use screws to hold things on with?

We want to build small storage cubbies and a rack system along the sides of the roof, but don't want full cabinets running to the floor. We also want to install some wood trim and lighting to add some classy details. May also want to add a box running along the back of the roof with speakers and more storage inside.

Any insight into what I need to do in order to install these sorts of things would be much appreciated.

jwolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Re: Question about installing wood trim, etc. to interior roof

Unfortunately there will not likely be plywood behind the headliner. There should be some cross roof supports. You may be able to attach a piece of plywood or better yet just some plywood or wood strips at 90 degrees to the cross roof supports. What to use for fasteners is another good question. I am about to do something similar to my walls. I think if you could capture a nut in the roof support, then you could really tighten a bolt through the wood strips. Im thinking of a "nutsert" or toggle bolt, or something similar as opposed to relying on self-tapping sheetmetal screws.

You may also be able to use well placed angle brackets fastened to the roof supports.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

I would pm fellow boardy Hickman (he does this for a livin') and ask

Might get some good insight

FWIW, ya might entertain gluing wood to the bare metal
with that Strong Enought to Hold Up a Bank type glue

ps
dont know how often he is on here, if he does not
respond, pm me and will get you in contact
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

jwolf11

If your van is similar to mine (2008 E-250) there is a rib under each line of christmas tree plugs. I attached 1\8" plywood with the same plugs and so far so good. The metal rib also has numerous othe hole for different fasteners for heavier objects
Attached Thumbnails
Headliner1.JPG   Headliner2.JPG  
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote