Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Questions re: Swapping large capacity diesel tank into a gasser.

My main question: Can a diesel tank be swapped in for use in a gas engine, or are the emission systems/filler/chemical issues? I have a 7.5L (1996 e350 eb) so extra fuel capacity would be nice. My transfer case will be counterproductive if I shorten the stock tank to make it fit.

A local parts place has a 50 gallon cutaway tank from a diesel for a great price.

Specific issues I wonder about:
Can I spot delamination before purchasing the tank to see if that is an issue on he tank?
Will the sending unit from my gas tank swap over?
Will my fuel gauge still read accurately?
Are the emission differences /canisters in one fuel type vs the other?
Can I still use my stock fuel door?
If this is worth perusing, what other parts should be pulled with the tank?
Other details I'm missing? (I expect many)

bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

Is this a steel tank?? But I think that gas would work in a diesel tank and vice versa. There are emissions differences, but the issues depend on the year of your vehicle and CARB compliance. Mainly it depends on if you have emissions that tie up to your OBD-II and if so it will throw a code if not properly vented etc.

The sending unit is another issue. Some are spring loaded so they will take up extra space or can give back a little. Mine was static so the custom tank I needed had to be built around the sending unit depth. As far as mounting, really depends on the year and if it's a twist lock or bolt mount. You can make the twist locks to bolt in though, which was done on my conversion.

you should be able to use the stock fuel door as it's a flexible hose unless you are putting it in a really different location and can't get the fill and vent hose up there.

That's all I know. Mostly things to consider.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

If you thoroughly read MGmetalworks Cummins build thread you will learn a lot about this but here it is in a nutshell. I'm sure it can be done but most definitely NOT plug and play. You'd have to change (cut out and reweld) a gas tank flange on the top of the tank to accept your in tank fuel pump/sender unit. Aerotanks did this for me with one of their diesel tanks but it was new and never had fuel in it. Physical size is probably the exact same so float should read accurately after you drop a gas sender/pump/float in.
None of this is as difficult as what it will take to mount a fill tube that will go downhill and actually work, which is what you can learn from MGmetalworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

^x2. Will need an adapter flange made for the pump. Also I'm not sure if the lining in the diesel tanks is compatible with gas or ethanol, so to be sure I would strip the lining before using it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #5

I don't think CARB would apply to this since you're in TN. But if you have emissions testing there and it's as strict as the testing here in CA, then I would do some extra research on the install.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

So running through questions:
I believe the tank is steel, and will plan and move forward. If not, abandon course.

No CARB issues, but born and raised in Southern California until 23, I know real emission headaches. Here in tennessee, my county is obd2 check, so no codes, no issues + gas cap leak test + mirror check for catalytic. If I fail, I don't get my $12 refunded for the emission test, but can retest. Then I would pay my 75 dollar registration fees for the year... Some parts of CA I don't miss.

Back on track. I can pick up the rear 50 gallon and a regular tank at the same yard. Seems like the idea is that CAREFULLY with ENORMOUS PRECAUTIONS TAKEN, I could cut out the top of the gasser tank opening and weld the patch in to the old diesel tank.

While the diesel tank is open, remove any coatings?

Not trying to be lazy, but what are thoughts about coating over any original surfaces with something like red kote or a similar tank coating instead of stripping?
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #7

Much easier to just get on CarPart.com and find a gas cutaway tank instead of diesel. They're around. Lots of em. I was thinking of this recently and found several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote