Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Quick connect furnace option

I'm toying with a furnace purchase, but I am pretty minimalist in my interior setup as well as disposable income for the job. I am considering a propane furnace. I live in San Diego and 3/4 of the year wont need the heat. But for those cold weather snowboard trips and winter camping it sure would be a nice addition. I'm considering a Propex propane furnace. Id like to do it with a quick connect option so i can use a bbq style propane tank that isn't mounted under the van to save the 1000 expense that installation and purchase of the tank will entail on top of the furnace. I don't want the propane in the van with the need to drill a vent hole. .

Tell me why this will work or why I shouldn't do it.

Go!

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Just get a Mr. Heater Big Buddy heater.

It works really well and you can attach a BBQ tank and 10 foot hose with an adapter.

Cost is a lot less than a Propex. You will get moisture so just crack a window.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

I have a catalytic heater the olympian wave 6 that is fine. However with a kid and a dog id perfer to have that heat source not be as exposed as the mr buddy or the catalytic one. But thanks!! I do agree that my plans are always more involved than they need to be
Old 06-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

All you need to do is change the fittings on the Propex. My van came with a Suburban heater. The gas line was run through the floor to a quick connect fitting. The original owner, 86Scotty, did not install a body mounted tank. He just plugged a five gallon propane tank into the QC. It worked great until I added a body mounted tank.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
I have a catalytic heater the olympian wave 6 that is fine. However with a kid and a dog id perfer to have that heat source not be as exposed as the mr buddy or the catalytic one. But thanks!! I do agree that my plans are always more involved than they need to be
Nah, you're just trying to be careful. I bought a Mr. Buddy for my boat with the hope that I could try it in the van, too. The damn thing scared the crap out of me. I didn't care for looking at that live fire on there! At least on the boat I could throw it overboard if it got out of hand. I think I'd be awake in the van all night worrying about that thing. The only scenario that appeals to me is the one where folks run it for a few minutes before bed and then shut it off. And really get under the covers.

I like Larrie's former setup. Why not have a good heater inside and the gas source outside? Folks will tell you how dangerous it is to carry a propane tank outside your van in case of collision (like on the rear door). Okay, so maybe find a place where it won't go ballistic if someone rear-ends you. Gee, I've carried TWO gigantic tanks on my travel trailers for years - so does everyone else - it's probably a really bad idea in an accident, but... seems not to bother anyone with travel trailers or motorhomes.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #6

When I was using the standard five gallon propane bottle it lived in a plastic milk crate and was kept in the van by the rear doors when on the road. I know people talk about the danger of a leaky tank but I do not believe it. Propane smells, there is a propane detector in the van and propane tank shutoff valves do not leak.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #7

I have run exactly what you are talking about for several years. Propex 2800 in the right rear. Run a rubber hose out the floor and connect the 20lbs tank when needed in cold weather. Use propane quick connect fittings. No issues as of yet.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

I have an aluminess box on the back for transport of the propane. I can always drill and plug a small vent hole in that if needed.
Thanks everyone.. good info.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #9

I live in SoCal as well and didn't like using the Mr Buddy either. As little as we need heat it seemed silly to buy an expensive heater though. I joined the Chinese Diesel Heater Group on Facebook and followed them for a while, then bought a 2KW Diesel Heater for my E350. Mounted the heater under the bed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	28191

Mounted the diesel tank on the rear bumper swing arm.

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	28193

Controller is by side doors

Name:	IMG_5572.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	28192

As I only finished installing it this spring, I don't have much feedback yet. It did warm the van up nicely a few times sitting in the driveway. At less than $150 for the complete kit, I am very happy so far. Next winter will be the real test.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

Thats a price point i can rally behind. Stay with me on this thread after this winter and let me know how it went under winter testing!! Great photos! Thanks!