Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Rear airbags anyone who has installed them

I was looking at these airbags for my class b van.the rear sags without any trailer weight.I'm installing front and rear recievers(it never had them before) this week.I have waverunners and motorcycles/quads etc (different trailers). Just want to level it up,seems to be easy mostly bolt on on except a couple holes to be drilled on each side frame rail & 2 where I would mount the manual fill valve stems.when I got a quote a while back from agile and unjoint (4x4 conversion) ujoint said I could install airbags and it would not affect 4x4 and agile said it wouldn't work(still not sure why since I thought the rear end lifts would be similar from either company? Anyways just lookin for any advice or comments before I order this set up.worst case scenario is I could remove and sell later when I do conversion,thx

https://www.suspensionconnection.com...n-springs.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8889.jpg  

Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

I don't recommend that particular setup. It really restricts rear wheel travel, and causes excess rebound. There is not reason airbags won't work with 4x4, but spring and sway bar options may require minor modifications to the baseplates or frame brackets on the airbag setup.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't recommend that particular setup. It really restricts rear wheel travel, and causes excess rebound. There is not reason airbags won't work with 4x4, but spring and sway bar options may require minor modifications to the baseplates or frame brackets on the airbag setup.
Any set up you would recommend?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

I run the Firestone Sport-rite airbags. They mount outboard of the frame and have ~11' of travel.

Another option is the double-bellow kits from airlift or firestone, that mount outboard of the frame as well. Then you just leave the baseplate to bag bolts out, and have a "floating" airbag setup.

BTW - airbags are good for leveling when you have a heavy load. It's not a good fix for a saggy butt. You need new or more leafs for that. Or Sumo Springs. Those mount like airbags but are a cellular urethane spring.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

Garage
i have one of these setups from firestone. its called an air spring. it has a lot more range than the pancake style bags.

i dont rock crawl but i have been in some hairy uneven road situations where the regular pancake airbags would have prevented articulation/droop and possibly ruined the airbag along with preventing my tire from reaching the ground for traction.

my van doesnt sag but i bought these to help stiffen up the ride for when we are hauling people or have the motos on the back. once i replace my rear leaf springs which have de-arced themselves ill be removing these.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #6

I originally installed those same Firestone bags that Shenrie posted. They worked ok, but the best cure for my 98 EB's "saggy butt" was a new set of sprigs this past May. They aren't fancy Deavers or anything, just a nice five-leaf setup from ATS. New springs, shackles, and all hardware cost me around $425. I was going to install myself, but ran out of time before my trip and paid my mechanic $180 to install. So, around $600 total. I REALLY wish I would have just done this to start with, and put the money from the airbags to the new springs. Huge difference. Van sits rear sits where it should, it rides nice, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I run the Firestone Sport-rite airbags. They mount outboard of the frame and have ~11' of travel.

Another option is the double-bellow kits from airlift or firestone, that mount outboard of the frame as well. Then you just leave the baseplate to bag bolts out, and have a "floating" airbag setup.

BTW - airbags are good for leveling when you have a heavy load. It's not a good fix for a saggy butt. You need new or more leafs for that. Or Sumo Springs. Those mount like airbags but are a cellular urethane spring.
Thx for the follow up great info,I will have to google some images.now I have a complex and will need therapy for the "saggy but" comment,I'm very sensitive and as far as springs you're right but I don't want to do that until I get a proper 4x4 lift so the floating bags can help for now and I can continue to use them if necessary once converted
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
i have one of these setups from firestone. its called an air spring. it has a lot more range than the pancake style bags.

i dont rock crawl but i have been in some hairy uneven road situations where the regular pancake airbags would have prevented articulation/droop and possibly ruined the airbag along with preventing my tire from reaching the ground for traction.

my van doesnt sag but i bought these to help stiffen up the ride for when we are hauling people or have the motos on the back. once i replace my rear leaf springs which have de-arced themselves ill be removing these.
Thx for info it's all very helpful,I'm glad I posted this thread first! I almost had myself convinced I picked the right one
Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I originally installed those same Firestone bags that Shenrie posted. They worked ok, but the best cure for my 98 EB's "saggy butt" was a new set of sprigs this past May. They aren't fancy Deavers or anything, just a nice five-leaf setup from ATS. New springs, shackles, and all hardware cost me around $425. I was going to install myself, but ran out of time before my trip and paid my mechanic $180 to install. So, around $600 total. I REALLY wish I would have just done this to start with, and put the money from the airbags to the new springs. Huge difference. Van sits rear sits where it should, it rides nice, etc.
thx for response,looks like I'm goin to do the floater bags which can also be used with future 4x4 conversion,that way I don't buy new springs for temporary fix.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Van doesn't bottom out but does sway around a little and once trailers are added wouldn't be cool,plus I'm short so any more "saggy but" and would need to sit on an old yellow pages to see over dash