Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #21

Thanks hyperdrive, that's hugely helpful!

And Cyrull - yes, most likely with a fork mount. That's how I have them now, although done rather crudely until we get a high top and really start to build out the camper portion. Pic attached. With the height of the bikes though I worry that if we keep them upright we would be running out of vertical space for the bed (although could probably lower the droppers to help). We'll also be turning the bikes 90* so that the handlebars face the rear doors - this mounting method is just what worked with the rear seat bolt locations and allows us to temporarily use an air mattress at night.
Attached Thumbnails
20190505_124934.jpg  

b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #22

I'm in the same boat. My storage is currently my floor and I have to shift everything in order put down our air mattress. Just took my header liner off for a fixed high top install this weekend. It will be nice to not have to move everything whenever we want to go to sleep once I figure out our storage system/bed platform.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-2415.jpg  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Thanks hyperdrive, that's hugely helpful!

And Cyrull - yes, most likely with a fork mount. That's how I have them now, although done rather crudely until we get a high top and really start to build out the camper portion. Pic attached. With the height of the bikes though I worry that if we keep them upright we would be running out of vertical space for the bed (although could probably lower the droppers to help). We'll also be turning the bikes 90* so that the handlebars face the rear doors - this mounting method is just what worked with the rear seat bolt locations and allows us to temporarily use an air mattress at night.
I think I have the same fork mounts, although haven't installed them yet. I tried fitting my bikes in across the width, but my M16C was just too long even with the front wheel removed. My pending MegaTower replacement has a similarly massive wheelbase, so a lengthwise installation will be required.

On a positive side, with a dropper post and a single crown fork, the MT should be a fair bit shorter when in stow-mode than the M16C was with its 200mm travel dual crown fork.

I'm hoping to fix the mounts to a tray of some type and still have enough height for a platform bed. Fingers crossed.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #24

Yeah, both of our trail bikes juuuuust fit. My long travel 29er didn't fit, and the DH bikes don't fit, so it's definitely a temporary remedy. Internal bike storage is whole the reason we went with an EB though so we are pretty determined to make it work but not consume all of our rear storage area - hence the drawer idea.

Edit: fork mounts are Kuat dirtbags
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #25

I have a pair of Rockymounts. I like how they have locks, although I'm still trying to figure how to secure the mounts themselves while making them as difficult as possible to remove.

I watch every mtn biker van video on YouTube looking for ideas. Jill Kitner's van is really close to what I want. Actually, what I really want is a SMB Sprinter with the EB164S layout with a platform bed instead of the bunks. If I can get my E350 to be somewhat close to that, I'll be very happy.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #26

Hi, Did you go with putting a DECKED system in your van? Thanks for any update you can provide.
Masstiffrot is offline   Reply With Quote