Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #1

Rear storage platform fab, bungie tie downs

Hello,

I am about to get started on my rear storage platform for my EB. I am reasonably handy, but have not worked wood in years. Since I am building a pretty simple platform, I am not too worried about the complexity, but I do have a few questions about materials:

What type of plywood should I use? So many choices, boggles my mind. 1/2, 3/4, birch, oak...

I am thinking of using screws and glue on the joints -- is that a good idea?

Links to similar builds?

Lastly, I often see folks with 'tie down' tabs or other bolt on hardware that allows them to attach bungies cord and the like to secure loads. Any ideas of sources for such items? These are nice, but total overkill, I think:

http://www.eadoffroad.com/synergy-3441- ... 84-pack%29

Thanks,
DJM

djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Re: Rear storage platform fab, bungie tie downs

Google "L-track" for a very flexible tie-down etc. option.
mpfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

DJM, those look pretty good to me. $16 for 4 is a pretty good price too IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips on the tie downs...anyone had thoughts of what type of plywood I should use?

Thanks!
DJM
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm68
Thanks for the tips on the tie downs...anyone had thoughts of what type of plywood I should use?

Thanks!
DJM
Your choice of plywood should be made based on a couple of factors. How much weight will it need to support? What kind of finish are you trying to end up with. Weight is always a factor so try and go as thin as you can without risking a structural failure. Check your design and see what kind of unsupported span you have. Thicker is always better for the top flat surface. You can get away with thinner and ligher side supports that hold up the top. Covering the top with carpet will allow you to use a cheaper grade of plywood than a finish that needs to be stained.

Regardless of what kind of plywood you use Pictures of your project are a MUST!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm68

Thanks!
DJM
Your choice of plywood should be made based on a couple of factors. How much weight will it need to support? What kind of finish are you trying to end up with. Weight is always a factor so try and go as thin as you can without risking a structural failure. Check your design and see what kind of unsupported span you have. Thicker is always better for the top flat surface. You can get away with thinner and ligher side supports that hold up the top. Covering the top with carpet will allow you to use a cheaper grade of plywood than a finish that needs to be stained.

Regardless of what kind of plywood you use Pictures of your project are a MUST!
Thanks for the tips. I am still researching, but likely to 1/2 plywood for the top surface; it will be carpeted. I am open for using 2x2's but they are much harder to find that 2x4, though I think 2x4s might be overkill.

Will update this thread as I make progress.

Thanks!
DJM
Old 11-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Garage

Try Strapworks.com for all your tie down and bungee stuff. They also make custom nets for reasonable.

I used 1/2" plywood on a previous build and it was a pain in the neck to work with. 3/4" is better because it will hold a screw better, it is a LOT stronger, hardware is made to fit it, and because edge banding and trim are made to fit it. The only downside is the weight, which won't add up that much.

I recommend cabinet grade plywood such as birch. It will have less voids, which will make it stronger, it is usually straigher and more resistant to warpage, and the good side can be painted or varnished without need for addition covering.

Consider steel or aluminum for support structure. 1" square steel tubing should be stiff enough. Our rear bed platform has 1" aluminum square tubing and it is plenty strong.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Try Strapworks.com for all your tie down and bungee stuff. They also make custom nets for reasonable.

I used 1/2" plywood on a previous build and it was a pain in the neck to work with. 3/4" is better because it will hold a screw better, it is a LOT stronger, hardware is made to fit it, and because edge banding and trim are made to fit it. The only downside is the weight, which won't add up that much.

I recommend cabinet grade plywood such as birch. It will have less voids, which will make it stronger, it is usually straigher and more resistant to warpage, and the good side can be painted or varnished without need for addition covering.

Consider steel or aluminum for support structure. 1" square steel tubing should be stiff enough. Our rear bed platform has 1" aluminum square tubing and it is plenty strong.
Thanks for the Strapworks link. I appreciate your thoughts on plywood thickness as I was leaning towards 1/2. I looked using an aluminum structure, but I have no way to weld aluminum. I looked at 80/20 aluminum profiles, which look like the hot ticket -- they are the real sized erector set and can be assembled into so many configurations, but they really expensive.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Garage

Our platform support is welded, but it wouldn't have to be. Just screw the steel or aluminum tubing to the bottom of the plywood to act as stiffeners.

Or cut out all the pieces and take it down to the local shop to get it welded up.