Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
tlg

Garage
Looks awesome. Well done!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

So Slacker wanted some bigger tires. We tried the new BFG KO2's in 315/75-16 and they looked awesome

At first............

Discount tire assured me they would fit fine and had no problem selling them. I heard they had no problems taking them back later either, after Slacker took delivery and had some bad rubbing problems. The situation was, basically, that I said I would trim them myself and drove carefully home. I soon realized that just cutting plastic wasn't going to do it. Slacker was due in for pick up a day or so later so I did my best but still had some rubbing, on metal not plastic. He pretty quickly took them back and wound up going a size or two smaller. Sure did look amazing with those, but due to time and expertise we were both at the end of the smaller tires were the easiest option. He did keep K02s on it though which was a great plan.

Back to the interior. The only cabinet I reused from rebuild 1 was the left rear, housing the furnace and microwave plus a few small cubbies. I redid the already failing T-molding and added a bin at the top where a water cooler sat previously. For the record, that was a bad idea. The ice was constantly sloshing around driving us all crazy and there was no way to keep it from leaking and/or condensating all over the place.

At this point I was really feeling the heat to get this done, for mine and Slacker's needs, but we were waiting on upholstery and the countertop to be finished. While I waited I stayed busy with the part that creeps up on you on a build, the finish work. Leveling and mounting drawers, for instance.

I did the 'Larrie mod' on the Truckfridge using a small computer fan to help with fridgeficiency. Now you don't see it.......

Now you do

Finally, the countertop was ready. Just for the record and for my own and Slacker's future reference, this is how stuff is laid out under it. The wiring is, from left to right, receptacle with USB ports, water pump switch, 12v socket, and then water heater switch and light.

We puzzled over how to attach a 50 lb. countertop to an overlanding vehicle and ultimately decided on this. The 3 flat pieces in the pic below covered with epoxy and a line of construction adhesive around the edges, with a finish bead of silicone outside of that.

It ain't going anywhere, but the 3 epoxied pieces can be removed from below by removing drawers and getting at the bottom of them where L brackets hold them in. The construction adhesive and silicone should give before destroying the cabinet, if for some reason the top ever needs to be pulled. I tested epoxying a piece of wood to the granite first and had to beat it off with a hammer. It works. Now finally, the cabinet is pretty much finished.

Door galley back in

More to come

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #13

And FINALLY the upholstery was back, about a day before pick up. That's what it's like having friends do work for you. He is a great guy and does great work though. It was done in time, so no worries here, I was just a little on edge for a few days.

This is one looonnnnggg couch, 76" to be exact. Slacker, like me, is fairly tall.

Speaker grill needed, I know.

Miller time

The bed is a good 6" wider than the original and will work for two tired but randy, sweaty, crusty travelers..........well, enough of that. 2 adults will fit, and enough room to shimmy by and get to the back with the bed down.

Well, that's about it I think. I've got more finished pics on my phone or somewhere that I'll add as I find. Lots more detailed pics in my gallery.

Rusty, Slacker and lady friend departed a week or two ago and headed back north to Baltimore via the Outer Banks. So far, so good.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #14

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

*picturesworthathousandwordsdumb@$$*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #15

Nice job Eric!

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 AM   #16

I approve this message
SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #17

Awesome work, Eric!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #18

Amazing work!

The granite countertop looks great, but aren't you worried about it cracking with the inevitable bumps and flexing in an offroad vehicle?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #19

Sweet.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Amazing work!

The granite countertop looks great, but aren't you worried about it cracking with the inevitable bumps and flexing in an offroad vehicle?
Not at all, but I guess time will tell. That stuff is tough. Slacker seemed to have little worries as well and it was his idea.