Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Scratch Build 2005 E350 EB

Well, here I go.

I’ve spent awhile now reading the forum and seeing everyone elses great rigs and even started working on a full build with SMB, but just couldn’t bring myself to pull that trigger. I watched quite a few used rigs sold while I procrastinated about if they would be just right or not and so now I’ve finally decided to try starting from scratch and am buying a 2005 E350 EB with the 6.0 liter Power Stroke to build up.

The previous owner bought it as a lease return and started an interior conversion that I can use while burning my initial budget at QuadVan and getting a pop top installed, so maybe it’s not completely from scratch but the existing interior will all be changed out by the time I’m done.

So far I’ve had it into the dealer for an inspection and pulled the Oasis report, settling on the sale price based on that and had a couple long discussions with John at QuadVan planning the 4X4 Conversion. It looks like I'll be picking it up this weekend and be getting it to QuadVan next week.

I'll probably have some silly newbie questions along the way but hope I've read enough of the vast existing content you've all built here to get by for a little while.

TwistedPair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Congratulations. Looks like a good starting point. Can you post interior photos? It would be nice to see your starting point.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

Re: Scratch Build 2005 E350 EB

with larrie,

It would be nice to see what you are working with inside. The outside looks nice.

Good luck with your build and your 4x4 installation.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

"Here we go," is right. As TwoGone told me, working on these things is like being hooked on cocaine. The only difference is, when you wake up you at least have something to show for it."

Nice looking van. Good luck and happy spending!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

[quote="Chopperguy"]"Here we go," is right. As TwoGone told me, working on these things is like being hooked on cocaine. The only difference is, when you wake up you at least have something to show for it."/quote]

No doubt!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Congratulations. Looks like a good starting point. Can you post interior photos? It would be nice to see your starting point.
Sure:

The previous owner did a nice house battery setup with 2 6v deep cycles inside with a vent out behind the fuel door and a 3500w inverter, and put allot of work into sound proofing the floor. the cabinets and layout will be getting swapped out but those will be staying.

I'm scheduled to get the title and drive it into shop in Portland this weekend if all goes well so More pictures and some updates after that.

Thanks to all that replied, I'm sure it's going to be both fun and painful.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

That looks good. Even if it isnt exactly what you had in mind its very usable as you figure out what you do want or need.
All of the things like the batteries and inverter add up so in the long run you will save money even if you redo some of it.
Good luck with the title and trip to Portland.
Keep us posted on your build...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Team

There's a lot to be said for living with the interior setup for a while, and making note of what works for you and what doesn't. You're far more likely to end up with the right answer with that approach, than to just tear it out and picking some other configuration.

Herb
Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Got the title and made it to QuadVan over the weekend and thought I’d post the last 2 photos of the van as a 2WD:

And here are a couple shots of the rigs they had up on the racks. I was focused on the braking upgrades at the time I took these:

My QuadVan shopping list looks like this at the moment:
-Dana 60 4.10 Front
-Manual shift / Manual hubs
-Take off 10 ½” full float limited slip 4.10 rear
-Heavy Brake Rotors
-4" Lift
-305/65R18E used tires
-18x9 V-Tec Black Off Road wheels
-Bushwacker Flares

I’m trying my best to work a 46 gallon transfer Flow tank into the budget as well and they’ve been pretty darn good about understanding what I’m looking to do.

I hate to leave without every option available but will probably be back after recovering a bit for their underfloor storage and at that point move the spare to a new rear bumper too.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I might be missing for a build on a budget? The front dual stabilizers are an option that’s not too far in the future but it looked like something I could install later without too much problem.

and thanks for the replies!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

The QuadVan conversion is progressing nicely. John and Blaine have been working hard to help me meet my budget, so now I will be getting practically new instead of brand new axles, and be able to fit the 46 gallon tank in!

Here is the plan we went forward with for my conversion:

- Standard transfer case and hubs
- Dana Super 60 4.10 front diff (2011)
- Sterling 10.5” 4.10 LS rear diff (2011)
- Dually brake rotors
- QuadVan Dual front stabilizer

- 305/65/18 tires (33.7”)
- 18x9 V-Tec Off-Road (5.38” BS, +10mm offset)
- Bushwacker flares with cutback front fenders

- Transfer Flow 46 gallon fuel tank
- Steel rear storage box

So far the van has got a spot on one of the lifts and has the front end swapped out and tranfercase installed. Here are some photos from this week: