Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Seen These?

So I'm curious and somewhat in need of these type wall stays for lack of a better term:

Looking mostly for the vertical metal shapes, the horizontal wood is pretty much a no-brainer.

I've seen them in any number of rental vans like U-Haul, Penske, etc etc but they're not helpful at all. They'd rather just sell me a van and not divulge such a high level secret!

Needing a specific brand or where they've been spotted for sale, new preferably so they're somewhat easy to obtain.

Thanks in advance!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #2

Re: Seen These?

Furring Channel

Doesn't look special- there are two pieces to "fit" the curve, not one van shaped piece.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
JWA

Agreed they're not necessarily body specific however the ones I've seen have attachment flanges top and bottom, stand offs about mid point connecting them to the horizontal ribs.

Someone somewhere has dealt with these----we have to find out who, what when!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Agreed they're not necessarily body specific however the ones I've seen have attachment flanges top and bottom, stand offs about mid point connecting them to the horizontal ribs.

Someone somewhere has dealt with these----we have to find out who, what when!
Searched E-bay? I took mine out when I did mine, and sold them there. They are common on the cargos as a package. They are not much more than steel studs and if you were creative with a pair or shears or snips you could do them cheap with ones from Home Depot. Look closely at the picture, they basically attach at three spots on the wall, and are just single thickness (no channel left) at those points. That also allows for the curve midway.

I took them out because I thought they extended too far out and I lost too much space.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Try inlad.com it is a truck/van website with all kinds of stuff.

seem to cater to the working crowd but have lots of great stuff for exterior and interior for working vans. Bet you will find what you are seeking there.....

Hope so.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
JWA

Great ideas so far but nothing as specific as I was hoping to find. Its odd something so common eludes a brand name.

I've flirted with using metal building studs as I have a bit of experience working with them. The channel sections mentioned are another great idea that I'll consider.

Honestly what these things are called bugs the heck outta me---I'm on a quest to know their name!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

The vertical legs are what (in the building industry) are referred to as a hat channel shape. Hat channel comes in various configurations and thickness from light gauge furring channels to 10 gauge steel. Here is a website showing some examples.
http://www.johnsonrollforming.com/displ ... category/4

Your posted picture looks to me to be vehicle specific pressed legs. If the exact part is what you are after, I would start contacting suppliers that provide load bars for vans, or hit the junk yards.

If you want to make something from scratch you might look at using a product from unistrut. They make channel sections with all sorts of fittings that may be able to adapt to your needs.
http://www.unistrut.us
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote