Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

SEMA 2019 Transit 4x4 Race "Chase" Red

Hello and Howdy All,
It has been a while since I was on this forum but many of you I see on Expedition Portal and some I have noticed on the Ford Transit Forum as I have researched there.

For SEMA this year I am building a 2019 Race Red 130 Regular Body Low Roof Transit with the 3.5L Eco-boost.

My son's and I run Peg Leg Garage as a fun side gig, we all have full time jobs except me ( I work part time as an ICU RN which lets me take folks out in the dirt and play). We do the PLG thing for fun and to help the companies we like.

One of the things I want to speak to in this thread is how SEMA and sponsorships in general work. The behind the scenes hassles and then to see how is actually all works when done. The real test will be at the next NORRA Mexican 1000 as this one of the chase rigs for a 1969 Bronco!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

We more moving right along lining up the right partners who make the best goodies for this Overland, VanLife, Chase Van.

Sportsmobile has us on the schedule for the electric poptop, it will have a Thule rack rail that we plan to use for solar panel mounts.

Quadvan has us scheduled for the 4wd conversion which will include a gear ratio change to 3.73, limited slip/lockers, rear axle shock mount shortening, installation of VanCompass intercooler and diff skids, and a bit more.

Aluminess has us on the schedule for a front bumper install.

Extreme Outback is working on our list of On Board Air Compressors, tanks and bits.....can't wait to check out the new Endura line. Having owned a Magnum and High Output compressor I am sure the Endura rocks.

Scheel-Mann is getting our super supportive and amazing seats ready.

Heatshield Products is figuring out the best way to keep the heat and sound out of the van. Watch for some testing on our Tacoma & Treehouse camper soon.

And we are working out a match between a Redarc Manager 30 and some solar panels.

Plenty more to setttle like tires, wheels, lights, winch, fridge, recovery gear and more.

Our current stress fest is getting a hold of the right person at Ford to let us come in and tour/video the Van moving down the assembly line. Our build date is October 3rd. I know the Kansas City Plant doesn't do public tours but the hope is that as a media company with a disabled guy who will drive the van it would be great to meet any disabled Ford employees who helped design/build it. Always great to see and hear stories of workers who are well supported by companies.

Watch for update on each partner on why we choose them, the cool stuff they make and best of all the struggles happening behind the scenes to line up the rest of the build.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

A few fun things about the process for those that might be curious, "How do I get a rig in SEMA?".

First and most important, be willing to pay full price yourself, if you can't afford to do it how will you afford to be a force for your partner companies?

But beyond that you need a few key things:

1) Have a theme, something beyond "throw all the parts I can get free/cheap on the vehicle"

2) Get a render, for this I tried Fiverr.com and since I wanted to work with Sportsmobile I took this image from their site

https://sportsmobile.com/transit-quigley-4x4

And I ask for a color change, it already had the Aluminess bumper I want

https://www.aluminess.com/ford/trans...t-winch-bumper

In the past I have worked with a local artist and did a completely original design, but that a bigger and more formal project. This is my van that if everyone said no I would still build exactly the same anyway.

3) Pick the best or what you really like, not just what is given away. There are companies that are happy to send product since it is crap anyway and use your images or efforts to sell more crap. Now if something is second tier but you are happy with it then fine, Harbor Freight vs Snap on for example....when it comes to hand tools I have been very happy with HF.

4) Prepare to work harder for the "free" stuff than if you did your regular job. Between events, social media, videos, pics, conversations at gas stations and everything else I have always lost out on the deal. Remember the deal is you are given the product so you can help sell the product, if you blow off people in grocery store parking lots then you suck and make the companies look bad.

5) Under promise and over deliver....I know I have failed in the past, and as hard as I want to do well sometimes the product is too expensive, to new or whatever and I can't help them sell. That is the reason I am giving my credit card info up front so if I fail I pay, simple.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #4

Someone ask why Quadvan vs Quigley and this was my thoughts....what do others think?

Honestly I didn't ask either Quadvan or Quigley before choosing, I knew I would be paying for all or most of the 4wd conversion so I looked at which company would wheel the best.

I really do plan to use my van as an off road machine, living in the southwest and going to remote areas I wanted something that would get over some rocks, across dunes and the Quadvan seemed the more "4x4" option.

I will say that John at Quadvan is harder to get ahold of but once you are talking he will answer ALL your questions, even the ones you didn't know you had. He will tell you what is a good idea and what isn't and he will figure out what will meet your needs. At this time I am not getting any discount on this part of the build so everything I tell you is straight up....and if I do get a deal I will be up front about it.

I just got off the phone with John and took a bunch of notes, give me a bit to put more info together.

On the SEMA process there is far more to tell.....
Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

How do you get your vehicle in SEMA?
Find a company that likes what you are doing and be their booth vehicle.....oh that sounds easy And this doesn't cost the company or you anything.

Find a company that likes what you are doing and be their outside Feature Vehicle (every exhibitor gets 1 of those).....great for companies with too small a booth to put a rig in. This cost you or the company $400 for SEMA members and $500 for non-member exhibitors. Oh and please tell me you don't expect them to sponsor you AND pay that amount, how rude! At least offer to pay as you should get more than that value out of the deal.

Get on the semashow.com site and register as someone's Feature Vehicle and they get an email to make sure you aren't a faker, confirmation happens and by today or so you should have confirmation and a move in time.

It all sounds sooooo easy right?

But really how do you do it?
You have that theme right? You did a render right? And then you put together a 6 month to 1 yr plan for events, social media and other methods that will help a company actually sell their goodies.
Now take that PDF document (please tell me it is 1-3 pages, has the render, plan, budget, background and list other partners) and don't just email randomly, target those companies that you are really like, that you are willing to pay full retail to use their product and either attend events and TALK to them face to face or CALL and talk to someone.
Now there is some social engineering required sometimes to get past the gatekeepers and to someone who cares, but you are just proving you would be a good salesperson anyway.
These days you might go through IG or FB dm's but many times the person who post is flooded with request and won't respond.
By the way, if you haven't figured it out by now you better have your 10 sec, 30 sec and long pitch about why in the world working with you is any better a choice to sell product that banner ad's on Expo, FB ads, IG ads or just offering a coupon themselves.
If you can't even do that then get a second job and save everyone the trouble.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #6

It is funny that for the first time Ford had a Transit listed as an available project vehicle.....but I didn't decide to build a transit till recently and I have to say Ed (CrewVanMan on the Ford Transit forum) was a huge part of making it happen.
I have bought online and out of state before but this time the deal was the sweetest and Ed was the best salesperson I have dealt with, and I am an annoying customer with too many questions
Ed was able to help me figure out the options, get the codes and then spec the "Chase" Race Red 130 RB LR Eco-blaster just the way I wanted.

Oh and for anyone interest in working with an OEM (I have done it before and there are hoops) here is what Ford wanted for this year

Ford Aftermarket Project Vehicle Program Criteria
Aftermarket companies requesting project vehicles should be:

A manufacturer or designer/restyler dedicated to supporting new-product development.
Financially capable and willing to spend promotional dollars.
Actively promoting the vehicle with their product(s) through an established marketing plan.
A current SEMA member.
Aftermarket companies receiving project vehicles must:

Feature the vehicle in a booth at the 2019 SEMA Show in Las Vegas.
Use Ford accessory products as specified and provided by Ford Motor Company.
Register and keep the vehicle in your company name during the entire contract period.
Purchase and maintain $3 million in general liability, $3 million in automotive liability, $1 million in employer liability and demonstrate worker’s compensation coverage. An umbrella policy may be used to achieve coverage limits.
Commit to feature the vehicle with the Ford logo intact and visible.
Order a California-certified vehicle if you intend to register or use the vehicle primarily in California or any other state that has adopted California emissions standards. Failure to do so may subject you to a state fine.
Make vehicles available to Ford or its dealers for display, at the owner’s discretion.
Submit written quarterly status reports for a period of 18 months, as specified in the contract, stating:
1. Product development
2. Modifications to the vehicle
3. Events (including dates, location and type of event)
4. Media exposure (originals or color copies)
5. Company advertising featuring the vehicle
6. Social-media exposure
7. A copy of your current vehicle registration
Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Currently I am driving a 2017 Tacoma with a Snap Treehouse camper.....
Why I am switching from my Taco & Treehouse to a Transit? Something friends have been asking....well at least it starts with a T also

I really like the Tacoma, it is a Double Cab Long Bed, which means it is longer in wheelbase and overall length that the Transit 130 RB LR, so I will get a tighter turning radius (with Quadvan 4x4 conversion), and a shorter rig. Also the 3.5L Eco-Blaster has 400ftlbs of torque at 2500 RPM, that is great for offroad....and yeah I really will offroad this thing. Not to mention there is plenty of ability to up those numbers through tuning, turbo swaps and more if I really want MOpower.

The Treehouse has been great and the Taco barely knows it is there, it has been so great I want MORE space, not to mention it has caused my nieces and nephews to go camping which means we need more inside space.

So low roof short wheelbase Transit with a 2-3in lift, running 33's (that will be some work) and a Sportsmobile poptop will be easier to off road and give me more room to sleep/store/play.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 AM   #8

While working my way through the Ford Transit Builders Guide I came across the methods and formulas to figure out the Center of Gravity.

For a road going machine this is less of a concern, but with all the off camber fun we have in the dirt it will be great to know once the build is finished just where that imaginary point is at.

Sure playing on a RTI is fun and looks cool (Ramp Travel Index tells you how much flex your suspension gives), but knowing how if your Center of Gravity is high vs low or front vs back has much more value to the Overlander or VanLife world.

Looks like Martín our resident engineer will have to be involved with all this math, and we will need to borrow 4 wheel scales and a forklift, but in the end should be a good time and great knowledge to share!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #9

Update time....

Method 701's arrive today, looking forward to finding out if the Bead Grip thing is for real.....50% off for doing some social media posting

Extreme Outback Endura air compressors (yeah going for 2, will explain why later), air tank and misc in route

Working on a roof rack and other custom goodies with a local builder, should have some pics/video tomorow

Aluminess bumper scheduled for install Oct 10th, paying full price as they helped me in the past.

Talking to some winch companies but I plan to do a rec mount so I can move it front or rear as needed.

Talking to a light company, someone I am glad to see updating their product line.

VanCompass bits ordered (paid full retail), intercooler skid, rear diff skid, custom valve Fox rear shocks (paid full price), Bilstien front struts (I wish there was a resi version by someone), rear drop in floor storage (cutting a brand new van, too funny), Ditch light brackets and some other bits.

Scheduled with Sportsmobile West for a Poptop, CR Lawrence drivers side T window, solar prep (paying full retail for all this, again SMB really helped me in the past)

Heatshield products order placed (any discount will come after I pay retail and do well by them)

Still searching tires.....

Solar/battery...talking with Victron about their full complement of bits, not sure what deal we will get to but I would be happy with anything as I love the Victron bits I am running in my Tacoma & Treehouse

Scheel-Mann seats, still working a deal but my busted back, hip and fake leg all tell me to pay retail if I have to.

Fridge - still hunting a deal, I ran an ARB 63qt low profile in my '70 burb for years and beat on it in Baja and loved my ARB lockers so I hope they will do something, Dometic makes nice stuff and a dual door would be interesting for the beverage vs food side, National Luna Twin is working crazy well in my Treehouse camper even with 115 ambient and 126 surface temps (upcoming story on that) but Equipt says the new stuff won't be available will after SEMA

Lockers - I have owned ARB air locker and like the 100% sureness but Eaton TruTrac seems to be popular in van builds. I have not be able to find the right person at Eaton to talk with and I sent a proposal to ARB.

Rollercam for load lashing, I have been using these since I paid full retail for a bunch at the last Overland Expo, I really don't like ratchet straps and these are my new favorites. I am talking with them about custom making me some for unique gear storage like the ARB X-jack.

23Zero awning - on my Tacoma / Treehouse I have the Darche 270 awning but they are not easy to get in the USA and Justin at 23Zero seems to have made improvements so I hope I can get one for this van build.

More stuff to come as boxes arrive and deals are done. I will try to keep full disclosure in effect and please slap me around if I don't.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

Put together a video on all the goodies that have recently arrived....

A crazy ring from 7P

2 air compressors, because why not

thermal camera (such a cool toy)

Method wheels

and more