Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Several Questions, not sure where to put them...

Had a great conversation with Extreme Air compressors over the last few days. I am replacing parts that were incorrectly installed in the system. In our conversation he was suggesting if I wanted a better ride to go with 16" rims and the same 33" tires instead of the 18" rims. The info made sense to me. Wanted to get your thoughts out there? I am about to buy new tires so this is good timing to switch rims if needed.

I thought I remember an issue with brakes sizes/safety going down in size on the rim. Do I remember that correctly?

We chatted about quicker air up time and he suggested removing the valve stems and running 6 gauge wire to the starter battery for higher voltage and higher pump volume etc.

Any advice out there?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Several Questions, not sure where to put them...

What he is saying is that the taller sidewall height (1" only) with the 16 wheel will give you more sidewall deflection and a smoother ride. With your tires aired up to 50 or more lbs on the road, it really isn't going to make any difference what size you have - they are all going to be stiff.

If you air down in the dirt for better traction and a smoother ride, the taller sidewall will give you a little better wheel protection, better deflection and a smoother ride.

A larger diameter tire will give you a better rolling radius and help as well if you want to go bigger.

While tires are part of the suspension, they are likely not your problem, and will make little difference. Any new tire is going to feel much better than your current cupped out BFG's.

I've never been a fan of 18" or larger wheels and I think 16" are a thing of the past. If you are changing wheels, go with a 17 for better wheel and tire selection and lower cost.

We should go for another test drive.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Regarding the compressor, you need to find the specs to see how many amps it pulls (make sure it's not an 'averaged' number), measure the approximate cable length, and you can then look up what gauge wire you should be using.

Regarding the valve stems, I assuming we're talking about the core of the stem, right? Much more air flow in, but also out. You'd need to over-shoot the pressure, and then try to get the core back in while air is rushing out. Or, you could place your trust that the valve stem cap would keep the air in and avoid the core entirely.

CO2 or a high volume, 100% duty cycle compressor are the best ways to go IMO.

Herb
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

You are right about the wheel size. An 06 QV uses an F350 front axle with the big brakes. 17" or 18" wheels to clear the calipers.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Your'e current BFG A/T LT305/65R18/E are 33.7" in Dia. and have an ~7.85" sidewall. If you went up to a LT325/65R18/E at 34.7" Dia. you pick up just about a half an inch of sidewall at 8.3".

You have a 2005 and up SuperDuty Dana 60, so as stated above, you can't run a 16" wheel, so if you changed to 17"...

I run LT315/70R17/D which are 34.5" Dia. and have a 8.75" sidewall. You could run that or the LT285/70R17/E which is 32.8" Dia. and has 7.9" sidewall - but that is about where you are now.

So, unless you want to run a "35" inch tire, I would stick with what you have and not spend the money on wheels.

If you want you can bolt up some of my 315's and give them a try.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

99% sure that my '06 Quigley came on 16". FWIW
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltom
99% sure that my '06 Quigley came on 16". FWIW
Quigley was late to the game using Ford's larger brake setup. Any QuadVan with a solid front axle will require 17" wheels.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Put the same tires back on today and what a difference a new set makes with a fresh alignment!!

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote