Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Rock Auto. Every time I think about buying something for my van, my son informs me I need to be shopping for alternates at Rock Auto! impertinant youth
I'll cruise by RockAuto when searching but typically only for their on-line catalog and specifically for whatever Motorcraft part number for use. I get the total price including shipping then onto eBay and my local Ford parts guy for price comparison. Since I use nothing but Motorcraft hard parts I'm able to get the best parts for the best price.

I do have to temper the price-only thing against how much hassle would it be should warranty replacement be necessary. Hearing of the changes made with RockAuto relative to warranty support and shipping costs incurred its not worth the hassles------to me anyway.

Quote:
Of course i have to pay people to do my mechanical work while he goes to his dad's house to fix vehicles. I just don't get why my ex won't allow my van over there for us to work on!
Hmmm I wonder if the free mechanical labor would be worth the (potential) aggravation working at the ex's place? Some ex's are worth whatever we pay to avoid them.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

I pulled the trigger on a set of the Monroe Gas Magnums.
Part number for my app is 34796 and 34759.
Should be here mid week. I'll try to get them installed asap and give some thoughts.
This people mover is turning into more of a weekend warrior camper. It'll have a bit more laden weight so I'm a gonna try a bit more shock.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
I pulled the trigger on a set of the Monroe Gas Magnums.
Part number for my app is 34796 and 34759.
Should be here mid week. I'll try to get them installed asap and give some thoughts.
This people mover is turning into more of a weekend warrior camper. It'll have a bit more laden weight so I'm a gonna try a bit more shock.
Same here, sort of.

Damaged a tire the night before last, so it looks like tires will be replaced sooner than expected, so the shock budget went down even further.

Went with a pair of Monroe Gas-Magnums for the front, Monroe Reflexes for the rear; Amazon Prime total of $152 with tax shipped... at that price I can live with them for a little while until I can pick up some Fox, hopefully post-lift.

For those interested, the rear Reflexes are only $33 each on Amazon, (about 1/2 price from other sources), and $37 for the Magnums. FYI, the front Magnums have the most travel of the other options I looked at (even by Monroe), at almost 5" (vs 4.5 or less). This for the 1/2 ton.

We'll see how well they work.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #14

So.
The shocks came yesterday. This first, outta da box report, might require its own thread.
For as long as shocks have been manufactured, there is on going debate if they need pre-primed. Meaning, a coupla two three four times, or more, of being cycled thru the compression / rebound stroke.
Ive done it for as long as I can remember, just because. It kind of gives me a heads up between the two, between the four, for symmetry sake, if nothing else.
So.
Both fronts have the same mannerism. Hard to compress and fast on the rebound.
The rears act differently. One acts like the fronts, hard to comrpress and fast on the rebound. The second rear shock acts the opposite. Easy to compress until the last 3/4" or so and slow on the rebound. It's almost like the action is upside down as compared to the other, three.
Lots of folks will just run them as is and let a much of miles of cycling work things out.
But.. Who removes a quirky shock to bench test a year later.
Dunno.
I now have the questionable shock in full static compression and will check it tomorrow after work.
I'll prolly end up using them but will most likely get a second pair of rears .
Just my hang up.
Who says education is cheap? YMMV
Old 10-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
...I just don't get why my ex won't allow my van over there for us to work on!
I almost spit soda out of my mouth onto my keyboard, laughing!

That one hit pretty close to home

Do I have stories about that situation
Old 10-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

Ok. A bit more info about the pre-priming these Monroe Gas Mags..
Double checking myself via the interwebs since I'm old school, there is acceptance from manufacturers for pre-priming with twin tube.

So yesterday I had the shock in question at full compress and standing upright.
But this didn't sit too well with me so two hrs later I reinstalled the shipping tether that came with onto both of the shocks and leaned them against the tool box. This kept them at about a quarter maybe one third compressed.

Just got home from the salt mines and gave a check.
Much to my surprise, the weaker shock now had some compression resistance. After three or four cycles by hand it feels almost as stiff as its twin.
( eyebrows raised )

So, I'll run them with more confidence than when I first opened up the box(es).

I was prepared to buy another set of rears based upon this quote and listed as #3 of the differences between men and women.

* A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs. A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need, but it's on sale. *
Old 10-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #17

Killed a coupla hours today doing the shock R&R.
Didn't have to remove the wheels.
The passenger side front lower stud mount snapped at the shoulder. Had to go into damage control. MacGyver'd up a Plan A. If it fails, we'll go to Plan B. But I'm keeping the faith.
The old shocks were Monroe SensaTrac with +50k on them. The fronts did not rebound after full compression. Yikes. The rears still seemed like they had some life. Further reading on the interweb show the Reflex series superseding the Sensatrac.
These Gas Magnums are decent for my application. They have reduced body roll. They feel a bit more firm as slow speeds. Speed bumps are no issue. Freeway speeds are manageable.
Biggest thing, for me, is that most of that fabulous ford shimmy has been drastically reduced. Time for a front end alignment.

Hope this helps.