Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #11

Re: Short time lurker with questions

OK, the weather warmed enough to move outside and take a few pictures of my latest project. I pulled out the mat in the back but have not cleaned it yet. The van originally had a rear heater but it was removed when the commercial shelving was installed. The water lines are still in place, so it should be easy to install the new core. When I checked the connectors to find the electrical supply I discovered the black wire to be hot (+) and the three remaining wires to be ground (-) depending on which speed the fan was set on. Is this normal? If so, I'll have to pull the stock rear heater switch in the dash and do some rewiring, as the new rear heater motor requires a constant ground and switched hots.
Attached Thumbnails
P1170829.JPG   P1170831.JPG   P1170832.JPG  

02Chevytonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #12

Here are a couple more pictures. I got the wheels off Craig's List the tires that came on them were down to the wear bars, so I will replace them this spring.
Attached Thumbnails
P1170833.JPG   P1170834.JPG  
Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #13

In your build, don't discount dragging your trailer somewhere and then doing "extended" camping further up, out or beyond in the van for short periods.

Also be sure to get requisite detectors (propane and CO).
Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #14

Jage,
That is the plan. We also hope to do spur of the moment trips in the Black Hills, keeping the van packed and ready to go. Do you have any recomendations for detectors? Hard wired vs battery powered?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #15

I removed the spare tire from under the van and discovered that the tire kit didn't have the shaft to stick in the winching hole. Used the one from my pickup to drop the tire and have decided to keep the spare in the van for now until I come up with a rear tire mount. With the spare removed I plan on cutting the floor for a storage box. Can I safely remove the metal connecting the two cross members as shown in the picture with the two red lines indicating the cut area?
Attached Thumbnails
P1180837.JPG   P1180836edit.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #16

It would seem to me that that piece's only purpose is to support the weight of the spare. I don't even think it's connected to the floor piece (except at the tire hoist) if I'm looking at the photo correctly. Just my two cents, but I'm no engineer. Great to see another Chevy aboard.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #17

I would say, yeah it's important. They didn't make it that wide to support the spare... it's part of your frame after all. Even if it's not technically necessary it's probably better to have something there-

I think you could safely get away with putting support plates in place of it... if your underfloor storage is supported in the van floor (angle iron?) marked in red, cut beyond that in the frame (since the frame and body move independently) and put support plates from the two sides of the frame to replace the missing section. In addition to possibly needing this support, you can feel more comfortable cutting the whole underfloor storage a little wider instead of just fitting it between the frame pieces.

Wait, back up.

First weld the two supporting plates in blue to the frame, THEN cut for your underfloor storage.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ufstorage.bmp (900.0 KB, 622 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #18

I would say if you chop through there you might think of reinforcements either across or CORRECTION: Jage is right frame and body move separately so the box must have space to move and reinforcements must be fitted along side... even use your new box and weld it to preserve a similar strength in that area...

I have been wondering whether to move the spare but I am not sure about having it on the rear door... weight issues? I know Roadtrek don't put their spare there as GM specify it isn't a good idea for the rear door hinges...

Keep us posted! Great to see chevy work give me ideas
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #19

saabman you can buy a U shape that goes from the hinges at the open end and bolts to the door, the loop has a hinge or piston that bolts to the door. There are a lot of different models but it's pretty common here to see on conversion vans. It's not as good as bumper mounted swing arm, but it will help keep the weight off the hinges.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #20

Hmmm Jage do you have a link to a picture? The chevy have those strange hidden hinges in the rear doors, I think it was to make the exterior "seamless" ...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote