Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #11

Re: Sources for Template & Mock-up Material

and of course Pictures!

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Sources for Template & Mock-up Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
... I think it's important to get the spacial issues down right.
Hard to do that on paper only and expect it to be workable.
We need to place house with the design and have a visual aspect of things.
The only part missing will be the windows for light and airflow and your water and cooking systems but it will be close enough and you can improvise.

I'm thinking of getting a few sheets of low cost particle board or plywood for Home Debit and a few braces out of 2x2s, 2x3s or 2x4s for support and box of drywall screws. Probably around $100 in supplies and a few days of fun putting it together. You can use the wood after for scrap. I'm sure you can make do with cardboard but big pieces get flimsy and you will try to duct tape it, which might not hold very well.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
Thanks. I'm also designing the fresh/gray water, propane, heating, and cooling systems as I go. I've been through countless design changes to make everything work together. I think I have it down to where it all works.

The "cheap" plywood and 2x4 mock-up is also a good idea. For me, this would be a "phase 2" stage of the mock-up process, after the full cardboard spatial mock-up. That way, as others have suggested, I could take the van out and actually use it in a real world test, to see what works, what doesn't, and any tweaks that are necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
and of course Pictures!
I'll eventually post my ideas, designs, and CAD drawings of my DIY project just to get everyone's input at first. But that'll be its own thread.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote