Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Sources for Template & Mock-up Material

I've been thinking (and dreaming) about my DIY build, and I know I'd like to make sure everything fits inside the van and there's enough room for moving around, too. And short of just building my design and keeping my fingers crossed, I figured a full-sized "cheap" mock-up of the couch layout, cabinet layout, etc would be wise....

Also, templates will be needed to lay out flooring, and the curved sides of cabinets, etc. That way you only need to transfer the outline of the template onto the final material (wood most likely)....

But what to use that's big enough, easy to cut, and cheap? I remembered a few other projects I've done in my lifetime (not RV related though).

If anyone has a local BJ's Wholesale Club, SAM's Club, or any other big wholesale club where bulk products are sold, you're in luck. My local BJ's doesn't mind me coming in and taking some of their large cardboard "trays" from under their foam and paper products. Just look for the aisle where the paper and foam plates, cups, etc are located, and start "digging." These large cardboard "trays" protect each layer of product and keep things lined up. Most of them are at least 30" x 48" definitely large enough to be worthwhile. And the more you take the less these warehouse stores have to recycle, so they probably won't mind.

Another larger cardboard idea could be a place that sells large appliances. Refrigerator, range, even large TV boxes could provide some large-sized cardboard for mock-ups and templates.

So, does anyone else have a good source for cheap materials?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #2

Re: Sources for Template & Mock-up Material

You can find free moving boxes on craigslist all the time. Also you don't need giant sheets, one of the benefits of cardboard is you can join pieces together to construct a difficult section- get each end contour right, then join a piece in the middle to get the span.

Personally I wouldn't build a full interior out of cardboard, but go piece by piece as needed. If you're going to go through all the effort of an entire 3D construction, you should use cheap pressboard or something that simulates the thickness and rigidity of the final material.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #3

Sources for Template & Mock-up Material

The moving companies and self storage places carry cardboard boxes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Some of their boxes are huge.

Then, you can tape together various boxes and/or sheets for your mock up / templates.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
You can find free moving boxes on craigslist all the time. Also you don't need giant sheets, one of the benefits of cardboard is you can join pieces together to construct a difficult section- get each end contour right, then join a piece in the middle to get the span.
I forgot to mention Freecycle, too. I was only thinking about stores where you could pick cardboard up. But you're right. People are always getting rid of moving boxes, too.

I'd prefer larger sheets, especially if I'm trying to mock up a vertical cabinet that goes all the way up to the ceiling. For floor plane stuff, sure, pieces would work. But for something along a wall, which curves, I'd prefer a full sheet instead of dealing with pieces. This is only my opinion of course.

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't build a full interior out of cardboard, but go piece by piece as needed. If you're going to go through all the effort of an entire 3D construction, you should use cheap pressboard or something that simulates the thickness and rigidity of the final material.
I understand what you're saying, but I'd prefer to have a full 3D mockup of everything out of cardboard first, so I could SEE how the entire space would look/feel and if it would all work together. The mockup doesn't have to be accurate or detailed, either. More of a "volumetric" study in a way. (This desire to do the entire van mockup "model" stems from my college days being an architecture major. Building models is fun!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
The moving companies and self storage places carry cardboard boxes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Some of their boxes are huge.
Ah, yes. That too! Thanks.

I thought of another source for boxes this morning, since I work right next to it. A bike shop probably gets in a lot of bike frames, and they come in decent-sized boxes, too. I'm sure they'd give you the boxes, since then they wouldn't have to flatten them and put the in the garbage.

Also, an industrial park is another great source for boxes. You could go dumpster diving at a few businesses there and probably find a lot of boxes. I know the one industrial park near my old house had a refrigeration company, and they'd throw away HUGE heavy duty boxes.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

re: 3 d mock up

i have built 4 rigs so i had a pretty clear understanding

if ya havent done this, i agree with a weekend with duct tape and cardboard

also consider this:

do your mock up

decide on your "base"
floor
walls
location for bed / fridge
put these in first

then duct tape / strap / temporary install other stuff
camp
over nite
test is out
THEN build out and bolt down

you can build a very cool cabinet set only to find
it is in reality too high, too low, too wide...

foot note
even after 4 builds
i made fairy major changes as my build out progressed
some were additons or changes to an install
some where emliminating things (that to this date a year later have not been put in)

best
bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
This desire to do the entire van mockup "model" stems from my college days being an architecture major. Building models is fun!
Why not do a scale model then?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Or a virtual model in SketchUp?

Brent
Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #8

To make a template for the flooring, talk to linoleum installers and get some of the paper they use. Much easier to cut than corrugated paper is. Doing a floor is easier if you have the right material, and the pros have the right stuff.

Even better, watch one of them layout a template for a floor.

Corrugated paper will work, it is just harder to cut, harder to form and generally harder to work with and bulky to dispose of.

The corrugated paper will make much better cabinet mockups. I'd much rather do a fullsize mockup than a computer simulation. Full size makes it easy to find spaces that won't work even when they look good on paper or screen.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
re: 3 d mock up

if ya havent done this, i agree with a weekend with duct tape and cardboard
That's the plan.

Good advice to camp and actually use your RV to get an idea of things that work and don't work....

Quote:
Why not do a scale model then?
I've thought about it, believe me. Although only the full-sized mockup IN the exact van I purchase will give the best and most accurate results for this type of exercise. But perhaps a scaled model will happen in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Or a virtual model in SketchUp?
I'm actually designing the entire project in AutoCAD, since I use that program every day in my two jobs. I have many plans, elevations, sections, and details already finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
To make a template for the flooring, talk to linoleum installers and get some of the paper they use.... Even better, watch one of them layout a template for a floor. Corrugated paper will work, it is just harder to cut, harder to form and generally harder to work with and bulky to dispose of.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
... I'd much rather do a fullsize mockup than a computer simulation. Full size makes it easy to find spaces that won't work even when they look good on paper or screen.
Exactly my reasoning. I can only go so far in CAD. Especially since the base van drawings I've been using were "converted" (i.e. traced) linework from the BBLB pdf's. So the dimensions may not be accurate. And, only measuring the exact van when I get it will verify all dimensions that I've been designing with. I'm sure tweaks and changes will be needed.

Thanks everyone for your input! Keep it coming!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #10

Dave,

I'm in agreement on doing a full scale mock-up
I plan to do the same for our Sprinter design when we're ready for that stage.
I wouldn't be comfortable doing a conversion without doing this.

BW's suggestion of actually testing out the mock-up is something we've considered doing too.
He offers some sage advice of an experienced camper.

I think it's important to get the spacial issues down right.
Hard to do that on paper only and expect it to be workable.
We need to place house with the design and have a visual aspect of things.
The only part missing will be the windows for light and airflow and your water and cooking systems but it will be close enough and you can improvise.

I'm thinking of getting a few sheets of low cost particle board or plywood for Home Debit and a few braces out of 2x2s, 2x3s or 2x4s for support and box of drywall screws. Probably around $100 in supplies and a few days of fun putting it together. You can use the wood after for scrap. I'm sure you can make do with cardboard but big pieces get flimsy and you will try to duct tape it, which might not hold very well.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote