Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Sportsmobile top

Ya know all things considered it is a clean van, just not pristine---its a used truck for goodness sakes!

Seller is no doubt just looking to get rid of it instead of fixing it up-----even if it were dent-free he wouldn't get much more from a private sale---why bother putting lipstick on a pig?

If the top is the most desirable part I'd buy the van then part it out---there's a lot of usable bolted-on parts and Craig's List would be a good place to advertise them. Heck the motor and transmission along with the ECM would bring $500 or so.

IMHO anyway

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadzima
How did the top look?
OK, I just got back from checking out the van and pop top. Here's (hopefully) a full report....

I'm passing on this deal but it may be a good deal for someone looking for a penthouse. I don't even have a van yet...

The van is presently registered and titled in NY. Seller said title and registration is in his name.

Here's what I had discussed/negotiated with the seller:

He's willing to sell the whole thing for around $3500 or so, and he also willing to sell the top for around $2800 if the buyer can remove it. He would then junk the van for around $600-$700 or so.

The van:

First, the bad: Bald tires, damaged front bumper (and a few things behind it), some minor hood damage, etc. Dents/scrapes on both sides. Loads of dog hair. The rear corner rain gutter is rusted through a couple of inches where the PH weatherstripping rubs. I didn't drive it but it made a few noises when the seller was parking it, so I would expect it needs a few things chassis-wise. Slider side door. Some NY rust on the chassis parts. Let's call it well-used.

The good: It runs and drives, the seller is driving it daily, says it's reliable. It has a CA compliant emissions sticker (not necessarily required with 186K miles, but nice to have), although he has not smogged it. No obvious rust on the body other than the rain gutter (I didn't look too hard as I was mostly interested in the PH)

The Penthouse:

Seems to be complete except for the rear J-hook for fastening it down. Could have been in the van somewhere......

All of the zippers work and the screens are all there. No rips or tears that I could see. The vinyl windows have a bit of scuffing on them, probably typical for 10 years of being scrunched up with the canvas. A bit of the scuffing is discolored also. The mechanism (manual) worked fine, not bent, canvas looks good with a few stains on the outside, the roll-down curtains and snaps are all there and work. The weather stripping on the fiberglass is falling off in a couple of spots about 6" worth or so. It may be a good idea to replace the weatherstripping...The outside of the PH and roof top was quite dirty with a nice layer of crud in the rain gutter area.

All of the upholstered PH trim is there (med grey color). The hardboard headliner part is grey and has one small hole in it about the size of a quarter. No bed.

If I had planned ahead a little more, I would have taken my camera....

If someone buys this (locally) I'd be happy to help remove the top. The removal looks very straightforward, I'd guess about 2-3 hours of work. I have loads of tools (except for a come-along which would be nice).
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Ya know all things considered it is a clean van
Have you looked at the van?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
If the top is the most desirable part
Yes, IMHO anyway....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Thanks for the details, awesome report. I was not think about a PH or any top until I saw this. Maybe, Maybe.,,
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote