Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #11

Re: Study bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4trax

I don't think it's to tall since it's a diy assembly. Build it up inside the van, problem solved.

It might clear the wheel well since it will need to set out from the wall a little, since the van wall is slanted. I do think it will still need to be modified. The support across the bottom would likely interfere with the wheel well. That could be modified and reattached, above the wheel well, and it would create storage space behind the support. I also think the back of the desk might need be notched to accept the wheel well when lowered, I could live with that.

I just like the idea of folding the bed and most of it's contents up against the wall, saving space for cargo.
Since you are just going to build it why not have a folding bed as close to the wall as possible then have a fold down table that hinges down from the bed. That way you could fold all of it up and have the whole floor clear. The table could have folding legs like the larger one in Chopperguys video showed and that could hold the bed up too. Nothing would interfere with the wheel well unless you wanted built in storage there. Fold the table down, when you want the bed it folds down onto the table for support. It could be at the same angle as the wall when stored even.

Dont you wish you could plug a cord into your head and print out your ideas? Or better yet hook it to a CNC machine. I already have the whole design worked out in there.

Chopperguy...my interior is quite simple... I have a huge removable bed with a bunch of removable flooring parts that hold my ARB fridge-freezer slide out and potapottie plus a divider under my the bed that keeps all the bins and camping gear from sliding forward under hard braking or possible accident. I can take the whole thing apart in under 15 minutes for cargo van mode and it takes about 25 minutes to have it all back into camper mode. The bed uses e track with aluminum cross rails. With the bed out the e track can be used to secure things to the sides. I even have plastic plywood or what ever you call it for the floor that goes in for heavy duty hauling.

Have you seen this van? viewtopic.php?t=6098

I think its great and I dont even have a motorcycle.

....Jamie

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #12

Dang Jamie, you cease to amaze me. That's some good stuff.

I was thinking of doing a fold up bed that will have latched bins (with tops that open from the top of the bin), for storage. When the bed is down, the bins serve as the base of the bed. Then I'm going to build in a sink and on demand heated shower right by the side doors (if I shower it will be between the two side doors opened up at 45 degrees with a shower curtain rod holding the doors in place. I'll make the sink which will also house a 14 gallon removable water tank as small as possible. I was thinking of an ARB fridge/freezer and Yeti cooler, but realistically the cooler would probably be enough. Other than that, I plan on putting my motorcycle chock between the front seats as far up as possible (the shortest bikes I have are approx. 9 foot in length), and putting tie down tracks down the sides of the floor.

Thanks for your response above. Love the ideas and the motorcycle van you posted.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Dont you wish you could plug a cord into your head and print out your ideas? Or better yet hook it to a CNC machine. I already have the whole design worked out in there.
[youtube:1vk9ciga]
4trax is offline   Reply With Quote