Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Swivel seat bases - What works for what?

OK, I really want to modify my 2002 passenger seat to a swivel base. I have gathered just a little info over the last few months, and have yet to talk to DiscountVanTruck in person, but here's what I'm trying to do. I love the factory 'glove box' and base for the OEM seat, and oh yeah, I have OEM seats. I'm wondering if I can just buy the universal swivel base and do my own modifications (holes) as necessary. I realize this will raise the passenger seat about 2 inches, which is fine. I have heard various things from different people on what fits the Fords, including someone who said that no matter which one you order, the holes aren't going to line up so you'll have to redrill them anyway.
Here's what I think i may need, the top one on this link, to use with my factory storage box/base.
http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvva...lseatbases.htm
My questions are: Why would I need the 'piro' swivel bases that would force me to eliminate my factory base and box? The seat belts are bolted onto the seats in my van.
Also, what is reinforced about the reinforced one? It is significantly more expensive but has all of the same specs, including 'requires reinforcement'.
Yes, I'm asking you guys all the same questions I plan to ask them on the phone, but they are closed now for the day and I'm just trying to gather info. Also, I'm generally cynical enough to know they probably won't be able to answer my questions anyway. I've heard their communication isn't that great.

Anywhere else I can buy swivel bases?

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

Re: Swivel seat bases - What works for what?

The "pyro" seat base is required because your van has seatbelt pre-tensioners at the base of the latches. Just disconnecting those will cause your airbag system not to function (and turn on the light).
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Swivel seat bases - What works for what?

So I can't just unbolt the whole seat from it's base and put a swivel
Base in between?
I thought the pyro tensioners were all included in the seat itself (above the base)?
My rear seats, which came with non powered bases were the fronts in a salvaged van and I took all that apart when I figured out how to make rear belts work. I realize I might have no functioning passenger airbag, but every swivel base I've ever seen says 'for use with NO airbag'. Is that just a legal disclaimer? Do SMB conversions have functioning passenger airbags with swivel seats?

Thx
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Just FYI, here's a pict of my 06 E350 passenger seat separated from the OEM seat base. The pre-tensioner is left alone. I'm guessing what 86Scotty is asking is indeed possible but I have no first hand experience.

Ray

Attached Thumbnails
seat-bottom.jpg  
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Here's my posting on the subject.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p=93602#p93602

I didn't buy the Piro Adapter. Just made my own from the old seat.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

For the stock passenger seat in my 2000 E350 they told me to get part number 113631. I did and it worked fine, just had to carefully route the seatbelt switch so it doesn't bind when rotating.

I also ordered part number 113530 for an 3rd captains seat. I then had Wicked Mike/extreme sports vans from the forum custom modify it to be a on a quick release. Allows me to remove and install a bench seat for more passengers. That base did have the Piro for the built in seatbelt retractor mech.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

It doesn't say, but I bet the swivel inserts go between the seat and the base. If so, the pretensioning seat belt mounts on the side of the base won't work.

Slightly orthogonal:

I actually have one of their aftermarket bases kicking around that we ended up with after some confusing advice. If anyone wants it (it's the entire base, not just the plate), PM me. I'll take just about any offer for it.

Along those lines, be aware that shipping back to them and paying their re-stocking fee is nearly prohibitive.

After some research we ended up just picking up one of their bases for OEM seats. There's just too much potential for liability if it ended up disabling the airbags.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Here's my posting on the subject.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p=93602#p93602

I didn't buy the Piro Adapter. Just made my own from the old seat.
Thanks, I remember your post and looked at it not long ago, but I don't think I'll have to go to this much trouble. I'm planning to use the factory seat (exactly what Ray posted a pic of) and the pretensioner is already there. As far as I can see, I'll just have to make sure the wiring is routed in a way where it won't bind and will still work.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Just FYI, here's a pict of my 06 E350 passenger seat separated from the OEM seat base. The pre-tensioner is left alone. I'm guessing what 86Scotty is asking is indeed possible but I have no first hand experience.

Ray
Thanks Ray, that's exactly what I thought. I see no reason why I can't install a flat, basic swivel base. I'm about to call them.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
For the stock passenger seat in my 2000 E350 they told me to get part number 113631. I did and it worked fine, just had to carefully route the seatbelt switch so it doesn't bind when rotating.

I also ordered part number 113530 for an 3rd captains seat. I then had Wicked Mike/extreme sports vans from the forum custom modify it to be a on a quick release. Allows me to remove and install a bench seat for more passengers. That base did have the Piro for the built in seatbelt retractor mech.
Eric
Thanks Eric, but those bases are the ones I'm trying to stay away from. I really want retain the stock box with glove box and put a flat base in between. I still have some measuring to do but will report back in on whether not it's going to work.