Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Tardis

The time has come for a remodel. First some background.

The van was originally converted by Eric aka 86Scotty. He started in 2012 and continued to make modifications on it until he sold it in 2014. His build threads are here.
Family Conestoga, Tryptovan has roof air, and Out with the old...

The folks he sold it to and I bought it from called it Big Blue. They had a wonderful time with it traveling all over the country with their two kids.

We bought it this year, 2016 and renamed it Tardis because it is bigger on the inside than our old RB SMB. After using it several times this spring and summer we decided to do some remodeling and upgrades so that it better suits our needs. Will be posting our modifications as they get made. The mods being planned are a bed for the two of us on the fist floor (requires rebuilding the cabinets), new tires, more storage, front bumper with recovery points, extending the roof opening so there is more room to stand up (need to talk with CCV about this), rear locker, on board air, and who knows what else.

This should be a fun fall and winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	12307

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Looking forward to lots of photos.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

Garage
The van looks great, I love that blue.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Got some new toys today. Now to find someone to install the locker.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

Garage
Nice! I really want to get some OBA. You will have to report back about the locker for sure.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #6

Can't wait to see more Larrie. That cabinet build was a learning experience for me. It works but when I see pictures of it I see all sorts of things to be improved upon. Glad you are going for it. It's still a great looking and super clean van. Enjoy!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

New tires

The original tires that came on the Tardis were LT245/75 R16 with standard street tires. They were about 30 to 50% worn but still usable on the highway. A trip was coming up to Eastern Oregon that would be over some pretty rough gravel roads so new tires were in order.

Enter forum member Jsweezy and his slightly used BFG KO2 265/75 R16 tires already mounted and ready to go.

The tires are one size larger and fit very comfortably in rear wheel wells. The front is much tighter fit with only about 1/2" between the bumper and the tire when the tire is turning.

A partial turn is the worst condition.

Clearance between body and tire on passenger side.

Clearance between front bumper and tire on driver side.

I have heard some occasional rubbing when backing out of a parking space but have not been able to pinpoint where it is coming from. Have not heard any rubbing when on the highway or trail.

Have been experimenting with tire pressure and found that 55psi in the front and 60psi in he back seems to be the right spot for highway driving.

The speedometer reads about 2 MPH low with the increase in tire diameter. Am sure that the miles traveled is off too but I do not know by how much.

Am happy with how the rig handles on and off the pavement.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

iPad Holder

The iPad is a very useful tool for navigating the backroads. The problem is how to mount it in the van so that it is easily viewable while being secure enough not to flop around while driving washboarded gravel roads.

There are several mounting system for sale on the web that work very well. Unfortunately we were pressed for time and had to come up with a solution in the few hours we had before we left on a week long trip to Eastern Oregon.

The solution we came up with is quite simple. Construct a "doorstop" from a section of 1x2 with a thin piece of plywood screwed to it. This assembly fits into the rectangular storage hole in the top of the doghouse.

This allows the iPad to lean against the stereo head unit while the "doorstop" prevents it from sliding off. This solution kept the iPad in position throughout our entire trip. This works very well as long as the iPad is in a case. Without a case it will slide around.

"Doorstop" installed in the rectangular storage opening in the doghouse.

The lip sticks up above the top of the doghouse about 1/8" which is enough to keep the iPad from sliding off.

The iPad in place
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #9

Garage
Glad you still like them!

They sure do make that van look rugged.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #10

Looks great Larrie. I like the rugged look with the gray steelies!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote