Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #121

Garage
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Everyone, so this photo is supposed to go with the post above but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Basically am trying to figure out why this is a triangle and not just a normal shackle assembly.

Thanks!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #122

It prevents the shackle from "flipping" as the spring re compresses after full droop. I don't see that scenario happening with your setup, and you probably don't have enough droop anyways. But it does happen with jeeps sometimes, and also trailers on occasion.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #123

Garage
Carringb - ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

I got started on the interior yesterday and oh my gosh there isn't a straight line anywhere on this van! But it's been fun, I just need to pickup a dremmel and it would make my life a lot easier.

At first I was just going to do the panels across like they usually are seen in photos but then for the rear I decided to go lengthwise. I think I'm gonna like it when it's finished, at least I hope so.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #124

Garage
Angry Dear Advanced...

You have officially irritated me.

So as you all know I ordered those shocks. Work great and wasn't having any issues until I hit some really big bumps. Looked underneath at the amount of shaft showing at ride height and realized these shocks are too big. I had someone PM me when they saw the photos online earlier and mentioned it so I moved the rubber stopper to the bottom of the shaft body and it was confirmed, too long.

Emailed Chris at Ujoint and went back and forth trying to figure out what the problem was as this was the shock he always uses for 4" and then he asked about where they were mounted on the axle. Of course. Instead of just leaving the rear axle shock mounts where they were, Advanced went ahead and removed and rewelded them. WHY!!! It must have been for more rear axle clearance , or more than likely so they could use the same rear shocks that come stock.

Just wanted to let everyone else know so before they go and order shocks thinking what they have is stock, they can make sure. This is NOT the stock mounting locations.

Needless to say, if anyone is looking for some rear shocks for a 4" lift and no-one has messed with your rear axle mounting locations, I have some for sale.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #125

To my untrained they don't look like they'd have much travel even with stock locations. They look to have a couple inches as they sit in your van, and what, another couple inches if you had stock mounts? Four inches total?

On a positive note, I did something similar to my shock mounts on purpose.. I think it's preferable to have them up out of the way as opposed to hanging down from the axle a couple inches like they do stock.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #126

Garage
Ya, I am using that positive to not be totally irritated that I now have to sell a pair of shocks to cover the cost of the new ones I have to get. I guess I'm more upset I didn't see it in the first place in order to avoid this whole fiasco.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #127

Glad we finally solved the puzzle. Several converters do this, mainly to keep the stock shocks. The raised ground clearance is nice but can make shock choice tricky as you know unless you just get the OE replacement or one of the very few aftermarket OE spec shocks.

I'd rather just get new (better) shocks when converting then to spend the time cutting and grinding shock mounts to be re welded. I had one in the shop that was relocated on a 135k van and they didn't even grind down the remaining shock mount after cutting off.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #128

Garage
Ujoint - Ya thanks again, I was so confused ha ha. At least they did such a good job I couldn't tell!

I got the new shocks on yesterday as soon as I could. If your in Portland and want FOX Shocks ASAP then hit up Marks Sand Trans in Forest Groce and he normally has them in stock. He also had a couple of the roost guards so I picked those up as well, figured 30$ was cheap insurance for both shocks.

Took it for a drive and just like I reported before it's amazing, and this time I went and hit the train tracks as hard as I normally do when I cringe and its was butter.

I also finished up the ceiling and now just need to paint it to match the rest of the interior.

I don't know how much people charge for interior work but I now understand if it's expensive. I am normally pretty critical of my work for having such a limited amount of skill but I actually felt like this turned out ok. Definitely not an easy task and if I wanted it to be perfect it probably would never have been finished.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #129

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Glad you got those sorted out for now.

If it rode well with those too long shocks, it must have been really bad before!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #130

Garage
Bajasportsmobile - ya it was pretty brutal. Every bump made the rear end feel like it was gonna shake apart.